Motivation!

Options
BekaSteele
BekaSteele Posts: 25 Member
What do you do when your motivation is running low? I'd love to hear from everyone :)

Replies

• eramsey1234
    Options
    When my motivation runs low I think of my dad. His life was too short, he died before I turned 30. He would have wanted me to get in shape and loose some weight for my helath.
  • dot23scott
    Options
    Motivation for what? To eat "right?" To exercise? Both? I rely on my social media network (like here, Facebook, LInkedIn, etc.), my friends, and myself. I remind myself that I'm on the "brink of" 1) high blood pressure, 2)high cholesterol, 3) diabetes. I do NOT want to have to take medication for ANY of those.

Elizabeth also makes a good point. My Dad is never far from my mind - he died 6, almost 7 years ago. He was a (relatively) healthy, vibrant, smart man who became overweight and always said he would 'get up and exercise tomorrow." He said that for 8 years after retiring, and his physical health declined, and declined, and declined. His mind was intact, but his body gave out. I do NOT want to keep saying "tomorrow." Today is my tomorrow.
  • tinafranksrabel
    Options
    Correct whatever it is that is holding me down. Normally, the feeling of "being behind" is the issue, so I take a day or more if necessary, focus and get caught back up. The "being behind" can be triggered by many things so I try to keep perspective and not make something a bigger deal than it is. Good rest is very important for me so I may just spend some time catching up.
  • mbanes
    mbanes Posts: 10
    Options
    I also rely on social media-this message board primarily this time :) I also remember the number on the scale isn't what I want it to be and in order to change that, I have to eat right and excercise. Every day is a struggle. sigh :( So keep the posts coming with encouragement, helpful hints and tools everyone.
  • tinamchadwick
    Options
    I saw my grandpa last night , I remember him as being this get up and go guy and now he just shuffles along. I see other people his age that are still going strong. I find there are not enough hours in the day and when I get home I just want to sit and do nothing. I don't want to be one of those people that just shuffle along, I want to continue to be strong. As my mom always tells me, now is the time to make the change and take care of myslef.
  • habright
    habright Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The best motivators for me are a commitment I won’t back out of (i.e. a plan to meet a friend at the gym) or a competition (I want to win!).

I have read many times that motivation is like a muscle and gets stronger the more you use it. I have to agree with that from my own personal experience. When I’m really motivated and “on it” with my diet and exercise I seem to continue on the right path with little effort. It’s getting my motivation muscle working when it’s really weak (or not being used at all) that is my biggest struggle. I have yet to figure out what can really turn on that initial motivation. I have numerous unsuccessful attempts in my past when I thought I was motivated.
  • dot23scott
    Options
    Thanks everyone, & to Beka for posting this. I am sitting in my hotel room, wanting to NOT exercise. YOUR posts, sharing, & comments, coupled with my poor eating habits when traveling have motivated me. I'm off to change into my (now kind of stinky) workout clothes and hit the treadmill one more time!
  • jaimefaulkner
    Options
    Heather, you're so right!

The hardest part is starting. With each day of discipline, the easier it becomes. When I see results, I find motivation. But at the end of the day, I realize the only person that can make the change I want to see is me. It falls on my shoulders. No excuses...no blaming... I'm the one to blame. As a "high D" and perfectionist, I'm my own worst enemy, so I know that in order to not disappoint myself, I gotta keep going!

Accountability helps when you don't have motivation. It's like a contract you can't break. And lastly, I find that positive self talk is powerful. I heard the phrase one time "sometimes we have to act until our feelings catch up". Not many people feel good about working out, or want to work out. But I ALWAYS feel good after working out (or eating right, etc.) So for me, it's acting (doing the right things) until the feeling comes. And it usually always comes. :)
  • jromero04
    Options
    My motivation is going to the store and finding it hard to find my size. I don't think I'm all that big but obviously the clothing stores do because they try not to carry my size. Also walking into my closet and seeing a beautiful outfit I want to wear that day, then realizing it doesn't fit is another huge motivator for me. Even with these motivations, I still give in to the deliciousness of high calorie and unhealthy foods but I am taking it one day at a time and soon I will get to where I want to be. Can't wait to see where I am in September.