what to do when you're being told this is wrong....

Options
blynnblair
blynnblair Posts: 274 Member
I need some help, I just started lifting heavy within the past 2 weeks and I keep getting resistance from my family on lifting heavy. they don't want me to 'get big' and say that lifting light weights with more reps is the way to lose fat... I know this isn't true with the research I've done with em2wl, new rules of lifting, go kaleo and countless other sources but of course when I go to defend what I'm doing I can't remember everything... Do any of you have any good articles off hand that you could link me to so I can show them? or just some reassurance for me lol I'm going to continue lifting but it's discouraging when I'm told what I'm doing is wrong.... Ugh

side note, I am overweight and have a decent amount to lose so should i keep up with the lifting?

Replies

• Mistymath
    Mistymath Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Definitely lift, and lift heavy!

You are not going to get bigger from lifting heavy. You will get more defined muscles, but the result of lifting will be that you lose fat while gaining muscle. You may not see giant losses on the scale, but you will find that your clothes fit better, and you will DEFINITELY feel better.

Stick with it. Take a picture of yourself now and then take another one in a month and another the next month and so on. You will be able to see the difference, and your family members won't be able to deny that it's working for you!
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    My mom told me ever since I told her I liked weight lifting with the boys in high school that I was going to get bulky. I listened to her throughout college, starved myself and got down to 180lbs in 2007 and a size 12/14. Started lifting despite her comments in October 2011 when I had "ballooned" up to 226lbs while STILL starving myself and a size 18. I now weigh 210lbs and am BACK IN A SIZE 12/14. And I measure slightly smaller than I was in 2007 when I weighed 30lbs LESS. This is 100% due to lifting heavy.

And guess who started weight lifting at 20 minutes to fitness last month?...MY MOM. Apparently, she's seen what lifting has done for me and wanted to give it a shot. :noway:

Sometimes you just have to do what you know is right without support. It sucks, but who knows, if you lead by example, maybe your family will follow eventually! All the articles in the world will not convince them that they are wrong. But you changing and looking fabulous from your lifting prowess might! :smile:
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    I need some help, I just started lifting heavy within the past 2 weeks and I keep getting resistance from my family on lifting heavy. they don't want me to 'get big' and say that lifting light weights with more reps is the way to lose fat... I know this isn't true with the research I've done with em2wl, new rules of lifting, go kaleo and countless other sources but of course when I go to defend what I'm doing I can't remember everything... Do any of you have any good articles off hand that you could link me to so I can show them? or just some reassurance for me lol I'm going to continue lifting but it's discouraging when I'm told what I'm doing is wrong.... Ugh

side note, I am overweight and have a decent amount to lose so should i keep up with the lifting?

My question is what are THEY doing? My guess they never lifted heavy and are just parroting what they have always heard. Eating at a deficit from TDEE you WILL NOT BULK. Secondly, as a female you will not bulk because of the lack of T. What you will see is you getting much toner with an increase of LBM while losing BF.
    Personally, I would not attempt to convence them with articles, but would show them by example. Lift heavy, stay with it, and watch your body begin to reshape. Take some before and after photos of yourself during the process. Pics are worth a 1000 words.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I ignore them and get fit.
  • blynnblair
    Options

My question is what are THEY doing? My guess they never lifted heavy and are just parroting what they have always heard. Eating at a deficit from TDEE you WILL NOT BULK. Secondly, as a female you will not bulk because of the lack of T. What you will see is you getting much toner with an increase of LBM while losing BF.
    Personally, I would not attempt to convence them with articles, but would show them by example. Lift heavy, stay with it, and watch your body begin to reshape. Take some before and after photos of yourself during the process. Pics are worth a 1000 words.

You nailed it, and i quote from my mom "I've always heard, low weight, less reps is the way to lose weight." I just shook my head and said "no mom that's really not how to do it."
    Everyone in my day to day life is doing the mainstream dieting thing, working out like crazy or just eating 1300 and netting under 1000 calories almost every damn day. at this point i really dont want to talk to anyone about it expect people on MFP who understand what i am doing with TDEE and BMR.

I'm not doing this just to "lose weight" im doing it because i was to be healthy and live a long life. For when i have kids and a family down the road i want to be a great example to them and show them you dont have to starve yourself to be smaller and more importantley to LOVE themselves. I dont want to put myself in the same position I am now by regaining 80 lbs i lost a few years ago by doing the crazy cardio and netting under BMR.

Watch and learn family because im doing it my way :laugh:
  • blynnblair
    Options
    My mom told me ever since I told her I liked weight lifting with the boys in high school that I was going to get bulky. I listened to her throughout college, starved myself and got down to 180lbs in 2007 and a size 12/14. Started lifting despite her comments in October 2011 when I had "ballooned" up to 226lbs while STILL starving myself and a size 18. I now weigh 210lbs and am BACK IN A SIZE 12/14. And I measure slightly smaller than I was in 2007 when I weighed 30lbs LESS. This is 100% due to lifting heavy.

And guess who started weight lifting at 20 minutes to fitness last month?...MY MOM. Apparently, she's seen what lifting has done for me and wanted to give it a shot. :noway:

Sometimes you just have to do what you know is right without support. It sucks, but who knows, if you lead by example, maybe your family will follow eventually! All the articles in the world will not convince them that they are wrong. But you changing and looking fabulous from your lifting prowess might! :smile:

Holley, thank you! thats exactly what im going to do and I guarantee my mom will be lifting by the end of the year when she sees my progress!!
  • blynnblair
    Options
    I ignore them and get fit.

will do :smile:
  • Gapwedge01
    Options

You nailed it, and i quote from my mom "I've always heard, low weight, less reps is the way to lose weight." I just shook my head and said "no mom that's really not how to do it."
    Everyone in my day to day life is doing the mainstream dieting thing, working out like crazy or just eating 1300 and netting under 1000 calories almost every damn day. at this point i really dont want to talk to anyone about it expect people on MFP who understand what i am doing with TDEE and BMR.

I'm not doing this just to "lose weight" im doing it because i was to be healthy and live a long life. For when i have kids and a family down the road i want to be a great example to them and show them you dont have to starve yourself to be smaller and more importantley to LOVE themselves. I dont want to put myself in the same position I am now by regaining 80 lbs i lost a few years ago by doing the crazy cardio and netting under BMR.

Watch and learn family because im doing it my way :laugh:

Bravo! :drinker: :
  • beautifulswan1
    beautifulswan1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Lead by example. You can show them better than you can tell them. And when they see your smoking hot body, remind them that it is because you lift heavy weights. You have to do what's right for you. People will always have opinions, but your results will speak louder than their uninformed opinions.

Keep up the great work! :smile:
  • keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    exactly what beautiful swan said!!!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Holley, thank you! thats exactly what im going to do and I guarantee my mom will be lifting by the end of the year when she sees my progress!!
    Love it^^^