sugar levels on my fitness pal

Options
Hey guys have a quick question i seem to be doing good on my carbs on this diary, but my sugar is out there, since i hace diabets everyone tells me i need to be more worried about my carbs, is this true or should i also be looking at the surgar, if you want to look at my diary first have at it before advice. Let me know what is good or bac..thanks :love:

Replies

• LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    Hi Mary,

I'm new to this but, as far as I have found out, sugar is pure carbohydrate.

Other big carb foods are flour products (especially white flour) such as pastry, cakes, pasta. Grains, etc.

Good carbs are carbs with a low Glycaemic Index. They are more slowly turned into glucose. They are wholegrains, brown pasta/rice, etc.

Basically, the more processed it is the less good it's likely to be.

I'm sure someone will give you a better lowdown on this than I can but that's my take on it.

I've only been low-carbing for a couple of weeks but my BS is already coming down and I feel better for it.

Good luck with your journey and if I can be of any help or encouragement, just let me know.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Mary, I don't eat refined sugar (diabetic 2 here too). I get my sugar mainly from my fruits. I don't concern my self with the sugar since it is a natural sugar, don't even show it as a value. I watch more my carb and fiber, and then protein which is always high trying to keep carbs down some and eat enough calories. I do have to usually eat most of my fruit as a snack by itself cuz of the natural sugar content in most (other than berries) most fruits can jump your blood sugars so I find eating an apple, orange by itself seems to do the trick.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Keeping your carb intake low will keep your sugar intake low. So, watch your carbs. Your carb intake is "good" per MFP standards. It is NOT good per diabetic standards. Keep your carb intake under 100 grams a day. Choose low glycemic load/index carbs: green vegetables, carrots, cauliflower, summer squashes, etc. Eat a reasonable amount of protein with every meal. Don't be afraid of fats.

Stop tracking sugar and saturated fat. Start tracking fiber. Subtract your fiber total from your carb total to calculate net carbs. Keep your net carb total under 100 per day.

A great resource is bloodsugar101.com.
  • fishbarn
    fishbarn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi Your body converts carbs into sugar. Then use the sugar for fuel for your body. So you need reduce both carbs & sugar. The carbs you do eat should come mostly from leafy greens, vegs, fresh fruits & 100% whole grains.
  • marydoutt
    Options
    awsome help thank you
  • marydoutt
    Options
    is there a way on there to change my carb or is this just based on the information that i put in there when i started.
  • mode42
    mode42 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    on the website go to home then goal then change goals and click on items to change them.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    As per the previous post, you can change your carbs by going into goals and choosing the personal option rather than the targets set by MFP which are too high in carbs for diabetics. There is a consensus view that a reasonable ratio target for Carbs; Protein and Fat would be in a ratio of 40:30:30 based on 4 cals per gram of carb; 4 cals per gram of protein and 9 cals per gram of fat. For example of your target was 1200 cals then your individual targets would be 120 carbs; 90 protein and 40 fat. This is a rule of thumb and can be adjusted to your personal needs and your starting point. You also need to adjust your targets as you begin to lose weight. It's important to appreciate that what works for one person may not work for the next. Diabetes is an individual condition and each of us has to determine by trial and error what works for us. Don't forget that the MFP philosophy is a slow steady and sustainable approach. Beware of any so caled quick results approach.
  • dhgomez
    Options
    This is how my dietitian explained it to me. I am allowed 185 carbs per day; basically 45 carbs for breakfast, lunch, dinner and that leaves 2 snacks at 25 carbs each. Take the total carbs subtract the fiber and if there are any sugar alcohol's subtract those to get your net carbs. I rarely go over my allowed carbs per day, infact some days I rarely get close to 100.
  • begleybob
    begleybob Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    As per the previous post, you can change your carbs by going into goals and choosing the personal option rather than the targets set by MFP which are too high in carbs for diabetics. There is a consensus view that a reasonable ratio target for Carbs; Protein and Fat would be in a ratio of 40:30:30 based on 4 cals per gram of carb; 4 cals per gram of protein and 9 cals per gram of fat. For example of your target was 1200 cals then your individual targets would be 120 carbs; 90 protein and 40 fat. This is a rule of thumb and can be adjusted to your personal needs and your starting point. You also need to adjust your targets as you begin to lose weight. It's important to appreciate that what works for one person may not work for the next. Diabetes is an individual condition and each of us has to determine by trial and error what works for us. Don't forget that the MFP philosophy is a slow steady and sustainable approach. Beware of any so caled quick results approach.

Thank you robert65fergu! I've only been tracking in MFP for a week and just joined this forum. Although the standard MFP ratios appeared to be consistent with recommended ranges for T2 diabetics I found on the Internet, it just seemed to be high on carbs. I'm happy to find this post of an alternative ratio for diabetics.