The Weekly Male Stop 2/22 - 3/1

Options
KevinS62
KevinS62 Posts: 239 Member
Sup, fellas?? How'd y'all do this week and what's your plan for next week?

for the weights that I record on Fridays, I've been rounding to the nearest pound. Last week, Ilost 3 pounds and weighed in at 222.4 wich I rounded to 222. So when things weren't looking so well mid-way through the week, I was wishing I had rounded it up to 223. But, what it did was make me work harder and it paid off with my weight this morning at 222.0.

So, the good news is: 1) At 220.0, I didn't have to round down this week, 2) I've lost weight for 7 consecutive weeks, and 3) My 220 pounds was a milestone I had hope to reach by March 1st. I'm a week early.

- Kevin
SW - 247
CW - 220
GW - 180/190

Replies

• thadius65
    thadius65 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Pounds down is always good!

My week of temptation is over. Being in NYC and Pittsburgh for 3 days this week was a true test. Food and beer all out in the wild, away from the comforts of my controlled food environment.

Worked out 2x's per day, even when out of town three days. Controlled food very well, but not so much on the beer. Had 12 pints, mostly craft beer over mid week days. Thought I was in deep trouble this morning, but focus on proper foods and cardio had me down 3.5lbs more!! :o)

Total loss so far is 13% or 43lbs. (256.5 down from 299)

One more good solid week before New Orleans with all the fixins!
  • FitGoal165
    Options
    I had a decent loss this week but I'm not proud of it. Between traveling and a ridiculously hectic week at work, I didn't make it to the gym once in the last week. I stayed under my calories and managed a 0.8 pounds drop from last week. But it wasn't a "clean drop" because of the lack of exercise and the fact that, though I stayed under my calories, I ate a little crappier than I would have liked over last weekend. It's back at it starting tomorrow. Back in the gym and back eating better. (Grr!)
  • daleweideman
    daleweideman Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am so impressed with all of you guys and the success you are having.

I have been trying hard, but failing. Eating salads, exercising almost every day, usually for an hour or more hard. Tracking my food and calories, and the counter has usually looked good. I had one bad night and pigged out.

And - today I weighed in 1 pound up from last week. Been at it nearly 4 weeks and I'm down just one pound. So, clearly, I'm not doing all the right things. I am fitter, which is good. But I need to lose weight like you guys are.

I *must * drop 66 pounds this year. I've been trying to lose weight from my current level for about 3 years and whether I am "good" or "bad" I have stayed just about the same, and I am done with that. I want to be under 200 lbs so badly - so my knees don't hurt, so I don't look so fat, so I can be more successful in my career, so I don't get bad health conditions.

I think my body just really wants to hang onto the fat and stay at my same weight. So it's going to be really, really, hard for me.

So - starting this week, I'll keep up the exercise. Cut down on portion sizes. Stop eating after 8p (that's when I do the worst). Cut out the alcohol. Watch what you guys do and get closer to that!

Thanks for posting about your success, based on your commitment and discipline. Starting next week, I'll be chiming in.
  • thadius65
    Options
    Dale - are you using the BodyMedia Fit Link along with MyFitnessPal? If not, I would highly recommend it. It gives you ALL the tools you need to be successful. $119 to purchase on amazon. 3 months free, then around $56 a year, so 15 months for $56 subscription. The two products integrate (BMF and MFP) and let you adjust in real time, either more excercise, food or adjustments of both.

Good luck.
  • daleweideman
    daleweideman Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Dale - are you using the BodyMedia Fit Link along with MyFitnessPal? If not, I would highly recommend it. It gives you ALL the tools you need to be successful. $119 to purchase on amazon. 3 months free, then around $56 a year, so 15 months for $56 subscription. The two products integrate (BMF and MFP) and let you adjust in real time, either more excercise, food or adjustments of both.

Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to try the FitBit they gave me at work (never opened) first. If that doesn't really do it for me, I'll check into the Fit Link.
  • KevinS62
    Options
    I have been trying hard, but failing.
    Tracking my food and calories, and the counter has usually looked good.
    And - today I weighed in 1 pound up from last week. Been at it nearly 4 weeks and I'm down just one pound.

I *must * drop 66 pounds this year.
    I've been trying to lose weight from my current level for about 3 years and whether I am "good" or "bad" I have stayed just about the same, and I am done with that.

So - starting this week, I'll keep up the exercise. Cut down on portion sizes. Stop eating after 8p (that's when I do the worst). Cut out the alcohol. Watch what you guys do and get closer to that!

Thanks for posting about your success, based on your commitment and discipline. Starting next week, I'll be chiming in.

Dale,
    I'm no expert, so I can only tell you what my theory is and what I'm doing.

Many say that I'm not eating enough. They say to watch out that I don't put my body into "starvation mode". And maybe I am doing this at the extreme. But, good or bad, here is my philosophy. Why torture myself? I been watching a friend try to lose weight for years. She'd lose 50 lbs, then she'd find it, over and over again, and never actually reach her goal. But the point is that she has been on and off diets for years, and that's got to be a form of torture. Because let's face it. I want to be at a point, where I don't worry as much what I put in my pie-hole. I'd like to be able to eat a bacon cheeseburger and french fries without thinking, "Crap, I just used up my lunch and dinner calories in one sitting."

So, I could go at this the slow and steady way that most suggest, and lose 1 lb per week (50 lbs by the end of the first year), or I can go 100%, push myself, and get myself there in 5-6 months. Because once I get to the weight I want, the weight loss phase is over and I'll be able to adjust my calories up. I've lost 27 lbs in 7 weeks by keeping my calories less than 1,400 per day and I feel great.

At least that's theory. In reality, I will raise my calorie target more gradually than that and eventually I'll get to 2,000-2,200 (plus exercise calories) if/when I hit a new goal around 180-190. I've already raised the target from 1,320 to 1,400.

I have not been registering much exercise. I plan to get a little more exercise and weight training, and when I do, I might adjust the calories up to 1,500-1,600. I just purchased a used home gym this weekend. Now I need to motivate myself to use it. :happy:
  • KevinS62
    Options
    Dale,

I got long winded there, but I'm not suggesting anyone cut calories like I have. I can handle 1,400 on most days and I'll add a couple 1,000 calories days in for a little extra push. I am suggesting that if you want to drop faster, you may want to target a little less calories. You might also want to check what calories you're allowing yourself to eat back, from your cardio. I've tried researching (Google) for how many calories are burned in league bowling, washing the car, doing yard work, walking the dog, etc., and sometimes they give me a ridiculous number. Even a round of golf (riding in a cart), I saw 18 holes of golf is 822 calories burned.

I pick and choose when I enter that stuff. If it's the weekend and I need a few calories so I can have a few beers, I'll add it. If I don't need it, I don't add it.

Again, I'm leaving myself wide open for anyone to say I'm doing it wrong. It doesn't really mattter. It's working for me, I feel great, and I'm going to do it my way.

-Kevin
  • FitGoal165
    Options
    Dale,

I can see where not seeing the scale move would get you discouraged. You have to push through that feeling and know that if you keep working, results will follow. I am not an expert either but I will say this. I rarely eat back my exercise calories. I try and keep my caloric intake close to my pre-exercise target level. So far, that's worked. But it took a good 3-4 weeks before I really saw the scale move. One other thing is that I do a better job of watching my sodium. Eating lots of sodium may cause you to retain water, which will lessen how much the scale will move. By the way, I looked through your diary (wow, that sounds creepy) and you don't track sodium but I think that a lot of your foods have a pretty good amount of sodium in them. Finally, I go to a nutrionist. Not that you have to but you should get an idea of what your body fat is. This way, if you're exercising and the needle doesn't move, you will get some clarity on why. I found out that my body fat is down by 2% over the last 6 weeks and my muscle mass increased. This was good to know. Anyway, keep on working at it and the results will come.
  • thadius65
    Options
    Another solid week with MFP and BMF. Down 4lbs and was much needed as I leave for New Orleans Saturday for a convention through Friday (Gulp!). I NEED STRENGTH due to free beers and food!

- Ted
    SW - 299
    CW - 252
    GW - 225/235