Just need to vent-Insurance

Options
I have been miserable for a couple of years. I always talked to my doctor at physicals and told them how I was feeling. They always ran a "full" thyroid panel and always said it was normal. I stopped working in July 2012 to go back to college and finish my last 1 1/2 years. Then in August my husband lost his job and health insurance. Since I didn't have insurance my college made me buy student insurance (I didn't want it since money was tight with a mortgage and 3 kids). Since I had the insurance I figured I might as well use it. I called the insurance company and asked if they covered physicals. They said they did and there would be no patient responsibility. I scheduled my appt and did my usual "I feel like crap, this is whats wrong, please help me." They said they were going to run the "full" thyroid panel. At this point I had spent some time googling and learned about the thyroid antibodies. I requested they run that test, and figured I would have to pay for it. Well it came back elevated. A month later I get a letter from the insurance company that they were denying most of my claim because they don't cover routine. I was angry to say the least since I called and asked about physicals. So now I have a $1200 bill from them. Call me crazy but I really wanted to go to the endocrinologist that the doctor referred me to. I again called the insurance company to see if it would be covered. They said it would be because it is considered a sickness and student insurance is for injury and sickness. Now they are denying my claim due to pre-existing symptoms. I'm so frustrated. My husband and I are still out of work, and can't afford these bills. I was finally starting to feel better and now I won't even be able to go back and have my levels checked and new Rx wrote to maintain. I just want to cry. Not only am I struggling financially, I know in about 50 days I will feel like crap again physically. I'm not feeling 100% now but it sure is better than where I was.

Sorry for being long winded, but I'm just so angry and depressed and needed somewhere to vent. :(

Replies

• JDunbar82
    JDunbar82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Insurance is such a pain. First of all when did you sign up for your student insurance after you lost your other health insurance? I believe at this point they have to allow for a 60 day grace period in between coverages and cannot exclude you for a pre existing condition. I don't quite understand how they can deny you if you haven't been diagnosed...but I'm sure they have some way of getting around it. I know when the new health care that's coming into effect soon insurance companies will not be allowed to discriminate against pre existing conditions period...its supposed to roll out in 2014 though. Here's an article I found...apparantly there's some sort of coverage that can be available to people now until then...I didn't read farther but here's the link... http://www.healthcare.gov/blog/2011/01/preexisting.html

Also if you haven't already you might talk to your provider about your bill...maybe they could provide some financial assistance for you? And you might talk to the endo's office...many places will allow pretty good discounts if you're able to pay for the appt upfront(if you're not insured).

Hang in there...I know its really overwhelming right now. My husband has been laid off a couple of times in the last 5 years and I know how scary it can be..especially when you have kids.
  • AmandaBiggs09
    AmandaBiggs09 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I didn't have insurance for about 4 months which is too long. :( Thank you, so much for that link. My state's pre-existing insurance plan is funded federally and they are longer accepting people as of 2/16/12 but I did find that I may be able to get on my mom's insurance plan since I am under 26. Yay!!! I didn't realize they allowed married children to count as dependents. Hopefully, open enrollment is soon.
  • JDunbar82
    JDunbar82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Hopefully you can get added to her policy...sounds like you might be able to beat them at their own game :)