what are you macro percentages?

Options
janmoulder2
janmoulder2 Posts: 133 Member
Hi, I'm new here but have done a primal diet in the past. Did great with it....felt great, lost 25#....then....kaboom, fell off the wagon and couldn't (or didn't want to?) get back on. Now two years later I'm back. I'm just sick of being sick, tired and fat. Anyway, my question is...how do you break down your macros? Right now I'm set at 30% carbs, 30% protein and 40% fat. But I'm thinking now, after a few days of tracking, that more fat and less carb and protein might be more realistic for me. What are other folks doing?

I'm sure glad to be here and to find such a great Paleo/Primal group!

Jan aka WyldeChild

Replies

• cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Hi Jan,

My macros are roughly at 20% carbs, 30% protein and 50% fat. This seems to work well for me, especially being in a calorie deficit, because the fat is satiating.
  • ronja2
    ronja2 Posts: 36
    Options
    Welcome to the group Jan! I go with 50% fat, 30% protein, and 20% carbs. I find the higher my fat intake (usually avocados, coconut, grass-fed butter, and healhty oils) the easier it is for me to stay on track. And on some days, I even end up with fat ratio as high as 60-70%. You got to eat fat to loose fat. Interesting how that works :)
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Mine our 10%carbs. 30% protein and 60% fats. Works wonderful for me!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I hate percentages. But MFP seems to love them, so...
    I got the closest to 1g protein and 0.5 fat per lb of bodyweight as a minimum, so my goal percentages are: 25/50/25 P/C/F.

That said, they're typically all over the place. So far this week macros are 22/40/38, last week they were 23/47/30. Most of the time it's predominantly carbs, but it depends on how I feel on a daily basis: sometimes I want a big plate of shrimp and white rice or goat steaks and sweet potato, others I'll crave a big, cheesy bacon omelette with guacamole. Often it's a bit of both - chilli meat on sweet potatoes with cheese and guacamole.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    I got the closest to 1g protein and 0.5 fat per lb of bodyweight as a minimum, so my goal percentages are: 25/50/25 P/C/F.

That said, they're typically all over the place. So far this week macros are 22/40/38, last week they were 23/47/30. Most of the time it's predominantly carbs, but it depends on how I feel on a daily basis: sometimes I want a big plate of shrimp and white rice or goat steaks and sweet potato, others I'll crave a big, cheesy bacon omelette with guacamole. Often it's a bit of both - chilli meat on sweet potatoes with cheese and guacamole.

I understand why you hate tracking and counting, me doing so can make me binge. For me as I have learned to eat healthy I have learned to keep my carbs low for optimal health. Carbs really effect me in a not so good way! As far as calories go, some days I have one meal, the next three, what ever my body screams for!
  • janmoulder2
    Options

I understand why you hate tracking and counting, me doing so can make me binge. For me as I have learned to eat healthy I have learned to keep my carbs low for optimal health. Carbs really effect me in a not so good way! As far as calories go, some days I have one meal, the next three, what ever my body screams for!

I'm looking forward to the day when I can once again trust what my body is screaming for....right now? ICE CREAM!!!!
  • ronja2
    ronja2 Posts: 36
    Options

I'm looking forward to the day when I can once again trust what my body is screaming for....right now? ICE CREAM!!!!

Maybe go try the coconut based ice cream recipe that howl_shadowknight posted? I also find that just blending frozen fruit into a sorbet (no additives needed) is AWESOME if you crave ice cream. There are lots of healthy options to satisfy those cravings :)
  • Aloemilk
    Aloemilk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Mine our 10%carbs. 30% protein and 60% fats. Works wonderful for me!

Same here! Perfect for me.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I'm currently set to 20% carbs, 25% protein, and 55% fat.
  • sparky38351
    Options
    I run betwen 50-60% fat, and the rest divided up between protein/carbs.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    50g Carbs (put me at 15%; <25g sugar). 20% protein (85g). Basically the remainder is fat... 65%.

I didn't start losing until I dropped the Carbs and sugar. So far so good. 15 lbs in 4 weeks!
  • janmoulder2
    Options
    50g Carbs (put me at 15%; <25g sugar). 20% protein (85g). Basically the remainder is fat... 65%.

I didn't start losing until I dropped the Carbs and sugar. So far so good. 15 lbs in 4 weeks!

Congratulations!!! I don't know if I could go that low with the carbs. I've got myself set at 20% carbs, 30% protein and 50 fat. We'll see how that goes. Thanks everyone for your numbers!
  • ajwolters
    Options
    I'm currently set to 20% carbs, 25% protein, and 55% fat.

Same here. Haven't been tracking my food lately, but maintaining my weight, which is what I wanted. I'm hypothyroid and these seem to be my maintenance numbers.
  • myrnacpagan
    myrnacpagan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just started 3 weeks ago...I just realized how to set my macros...I am shooting for 15% carb, 25% protein and 60% fat. We will see!
  • kerrylee54
    Options
    Seems like mine are set to a lower fat % than most - I try and hit close to 30% protein, 30% carb and 40% fat. Those percentages are somewhat flexible depending on the day. Seems to be working for me so far, but I'm always open to change!

Good luck with your journey.
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm at 10% carbs, 30% protein and 60% fat. I rarely hit the protein; it's something I'm working to improve.
  • hilliardjoe
    hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Mine are at 10/35/55(C/P/F) but getting to my protein target is hard.
  • mfesloca
    mfesloca Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    50g Carbs (put me at 15%; <25g sugar).

This is my carbs, too. Though my protein is set for 35% (105g) and the remaining 50% is fat.

As long as my carbs are under 15% I function well. The other two are pretty variable.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    Seems like mine are set to a lower fat % than most - I try and hit close to 30% protein, 30% carb and 40% fat. Those percentages are somewhat flexible depending on the day. Seems to be working for me so far, but I'm always open to change!

You have lost 126 pounds?!?!? AWESOME, I would say it is most definitely working for you.
  • janmoulder2
    Options

You have lost 126 pounds?!?!? AWESOME, I would say it is most definitely working for you.

Ditto!! I wouldn't change a thing if I were you!!