Want to do this, but a few questions...

Options
Hi. I've been mostly guessing and eating 1300 to 1400 calories a day for 8 months without eating back exercise calories (I've just been walking). Well, I only have 28 more pounds to lose now and I want to do that by eating more to weigh less since I'm closer to goal and will have to bump up to maintenance then. So, I'm trying to figure out my new daily calorie goal by using http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Here's my info if you want to plug it in and see what I'm looking at as far as my data goes:

Step 1: Gender: Female
Step: 2 Weight: 168
Step 3: Height: 64 inches
Step 4: Age: 33
Step 5: Activity level [THIS IS WHAT I NEED HELP WITH]

The problem is I don't know which activity level to set it at. See, I just started my new routine of lifting heavy Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays and doing 30 minutes of cardio Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Mondays are my rest day. HOWEVER, I don't work, I don't have kids to chase after, I sleep 9 to 10 hours a day (sometimes more), and I hardly ever go outside but to grocery shop for an hour (once a week). My days are spent either behind my computer doing school work or in my recliner playing video games (both in my pajamas). The only activity I get besides my workouts is getting up to open the fridge or to use the bathroom. It is quite alright to say I am a lazy *kitten* person the rest of the day. :drinker:

Step 6: Your goal: [Lose fat - 15% calorie reduction]
Step 7: Meals [3 meals/day]
Step 8: Marcos [30% protein], [40% carbs], [30% fats]

So the first thing I need help with is what should I set my activity level at? Second, once I get my number (15%- TDEE), do I or don't I eat my exercise calories back? And lastly, do I need to do a reset? Sorry for being clueless. I just really want to do this the right way. Thank you for your help in advance. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Pink_Tina
    Options
    I'm thinking I should choose [1-3 hrs/wk of light exercise]. Then my TDEE is 2098 and -15% from that is: 1783. Ok, I will raise my numbers by 100 each week until I hit that or do I have to do my TDEE at 2098 for 8 weeks and then go down to 1783 still?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    3 x 30 min cardio of what activity?

How long are the 3 x lifting sessions? And is it heavy for you with sets and reps and rests?

And you may not be that bad off, because walking is so easy that eating 1300-1400 when BMR was 1526 or higher isn't that far off.
    I'd suggest eating at BMR for a couple weeks until no water weight gain, then bump up to expected TDEE until no more gain, then increase by 250 a day for about 2 weeks. Should be 1 lb in 2 weeks of gain. That means the lower figure was right, or you can do the math on the gain and see what it must have been.

Now you have your TDEE nailed, and allowed enough time to let it get full burning.
    Now take the 15% deficit.
  • Pink_Tina
    Options
    Hey, Heybales, thanks for replying.

As to your questions, my cardio is 30 minutes of my Leslie Sansone 5-mile fat-burning DVD (think walking with aerobics thrown in). I only do up to the 3-mile mark and my HRM says I burn 300 to 325 calories a session.

Weights is 1 hour sessions. It's not very much weight right now since I just started a month ago, but I curl 20 lbs an arm, bench press 40 lbs and do other exercises for arms with the same amount of weight. I also do squats and lunges with 40 lbs and dead-lift 50 lbs. Sets and reps for all are 5x5 (like Strong Lifts). I do my own variation of the program. Definitely heavy for me. I go to failure.

I will bump up to BMR and follow the rest of what your instructions say and see how things pan out. Thanks so much for the advice. :flowerforyou:
  • heybales
    Options
    Hey, Heybales, thanks for replying.

As to your questions, my cardio is 30 minutes of my Leslie Sansone 5-mile fat-burning DVD (think walking with aerobics thrown in). I only do up to the 3-mile mark and my HRM says I burn 300 to 325 calories a session.

Weights is 1 hour sessions. It's not very much weight right now since I just started a month ago, but I curl 20 lbs an arm, bench press 40 lbs and do other exercises for arms with the same amount of weight. I also squat and do lunges with 40 lb dumbells and deadlift 50 lbs. Sets and reps are all 5x5 (like Strong Lifts). I do my own variation of the program. Definitely heavy for me. I go to failure.

I will bump up to BMR and follow the rest of what your instructions and see how things pan out. Thanks so much for the advice. :flowerforyou:

So for that faster level of walking with aerobics 90 min weekly, and 180 min lifting, that would really be BMR x 1.42 I'd suggest.

So 2167 TDEE.
    With deficit 1842.

So actually do BMR 1526 for couple weeks or no gain anymore, then half way up to 1842 for couple weeks or no gain. Notice what if any weight loss during these time, since that will be your deficit amount again.
    And then finally at TDEE for few weeks. Really notice how the workouts feel and get stronger eating at this level.

Then take deficit.

One suggestion on routine, since your biceps and triceps get worked with every single push and pull lift you do for the bigger muscles, don't do them first, do the bigger muscles first, they'll get worked automatically.
    You don't want wearing out the little muscles to prevent giving the bigger ones a good lift.
    Same with lower body first since bigger muscles.

So your upright row works biceps but bigger delts too.
    Shoulder press works triceps and bigger front delts.
    Bent over row is biceps but bigger back muscles.
    Bench press is triceps but bigger pecs.

You likely won't have strength for specific biceps or triceps once that is over.

I would expect weight gain after each initial rise in calories, since that is good routine and you'll be making improvement. I'm betting your glucose stores have been low, so those will be topped off. And other improvements from the lifting will be great here at first. Even if no weight lost eating at BMR or deficit amount on way up to TDEE, I'll bet you'll lose inches still. Measure many spots.
  • Pink_Tina
    Options
    Really great information, especially on the lifts - makes sense. I just set my daily goal to BMR (1526). Looking forward to bumping it up even further in the future and having extra strength for lifting! Thanks again. :bigsmile:
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I noticed you said three meals a day from your scooby stats. I have no idea what your schedule is, but when I upped my calories, I would get really hungry, really quickly, so I am now eating about every 3 hours with more like 5-6 meals a day.
    I am nowhere near the expert on EM2WL that heybales is, but I think if you are trying to speed up your metabolism, it makes sense to eat more often, not just more.
    Good luck and if you start freaking out seeing weight gain, browse through the threads of everyone before you doing the same thing :)
  • heybales
    Options
    I noticed you said three meals a day from your scooby stats. I have no idea what your schedule is, but when I upped my calories, I would get really hungry, really quickly, so I am now eating about every 3 hours with more like 5-6 meals a day.
    I am nowhere near the expert on EM2WL that heybales is, but I think if you are trying to speed up your metabolism, it makes sense to eat more often, not just more.
    Good luck and if you start freaking out seeing weight gain, browse through the threads of everyone before you doing the same thing :)

The calories expended to digest food (metabolism increase you might say) is the same whether you eat 1 or 6 meals a day, if the food content and calories is the same.

Then comes personal preference, how much can you hold, how much to eat at once. Super stretched out stomach from fewer meals might have you feeling empty for longer periods. May make it harder to eat only the allowed amount for next meal.
    If smaller makes the next meal reasonable, go for it.

Then comes personal effect on blood sugar. If big meals of similar macros cause big insulin hit, and your body drops blood sugar, likely will feel hungry early from that. If small meals do the same thing always keeping you in fat storage mode because system never recovers to normal insulin levels, not good either.
    But smaller meals with enough protein and fat eaten first may not, so nice and steady.
    While you do indeed burn first what you just ate, if you ate a huge breakfast and immediately went to desk job and sat - you didn't use up much energy, and by 3-4 hrs later depending on insulin response, excess is stored as fat. Then big lunch, sit more, store more.
    But many smaller meals with same total calorie value that also goes unused because you are sitting all day - same effect.

Not really your metabolism, basal or resting, that deals with digesting food. That's part of TDEE. It's actually a part of TDEE not usually taken into account when folks do BMR plus exercise calories, because there is other daily activity burn and food digestion burn in there too.

So eating schedule doesn't really speed up metabolism like so many think. But eating enough on whatever schedule works for you consistently surely keeps it running as fast as it can.

The only thing about meal timing is size, and are you going into an inactive period where you won't use up the energy from the meal before it's stored as fat, and it wasn't replenishing glucose stores already used up.
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options

The calories expended to digest food (metabolism increase you might say) is the same whether you eat 1 or 6 meals a day, if the food content and calories is the same.

Then comes personal preference, how much can you hold, how much to eat at once. Super stretched out stomach from fewer meals might have you feeling empty for longer periods. May make it harder to eat only the allowed amount for next meal.
    If smaller makes the next meal reasonable, go for it.

Then comes personal effect on blood sugar. If big meals of similar macros cause big insulin hit, and your body drops blood sugar, likely will feel hungry early from that. If small meals do the same thing always keeping you in fat storage mode because system never recovers to normal insulin levels, not good either.
    But smaller meals with enough protein and fat eaten first may not, so nice and steady.
    While you do indeed burn first what you just ate, if you ate a huge breakfast and immediately went to desk job and sat - you didn't use up much energy, and by 3-4 hrs later depending on insulin response, excess is stored as fat. Then big lunch, sit more, store more.
    But many smaller meals with same total calorie value that also goes unused because you are sitting all day - same effect.

Not really your metabolism, basal or resting, that deals with digesting food. That's part of TDEE. It's actually a part of TDEE not usually taken into account when folks do BMR plus exercise calories, because there is other daily activity burn and food digestion burn in there too.

So eating schedule doesn't really speed up metabolism like so many think. But eating enough on whatever schedule works for you consistently surely keeps it running as fast as it can.

The only thing about meal timing is size, and are you going into an inactive period where you won't use up the energy from the meal before it's stored as fat, and it wasn't replenishing glucose stores already used up.

Thanks heybales, I learn new things every day!
    I guess my personal preference is eating 5-6 smaller meals.
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    sounds like a great plan in action happening! as for those pesky meals… just my two cents worth, i also started finding i was hungry, read a bunch of kiki's stuff on up'ing and went with three meals and 2-3 snacks so i am eating every 2-4 hours. it has kept the hunger in check, levelled off the mood and kept me from wanting to binge, as well as made it easier to get all the required calories in by bedtime!
    welcome and good luck! these ppl are fantastic!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SusanCotter21
    SusanCotter21 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    sounds like a great plan in action happening! as for those pesky meals… just my two cents worth, i also started finding i was hungry, read a bunch of kiki's stuff on up'ing and went with three meals and 2-3 snacks so i am eating every 2-4 hours. it has kept the hunger in check, levelled off the mood and kept me from wanting to binge, as well as made it easier to get all the required calories in by bedtime!
    welcome and good luck! these ppl are fantastic!

Question, this is what I prefer to do. Eat three meals and healthy snacks in between, which also has me eating every 2-4 hours. So, do you mark that as 3 meals per day, or six? I marked it as six, but am now thinking that was incorrect.
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i think you can mark it however is most helpful to you. myself i have 'breakfast, lunch, dinner, all day nibbles' but i have a friend on here that actually marked her day out '7:30-9:30, 9:30-11:30, etc' to help her remember to eat those snacks in a more timely manner as she was breastfeeding and it was important to her supply. my suggestion is to play around and find what works for you, as long as it's all logged then you know what you ate and where you stand at the end of the day!!!