Newbie Help

Options
automne77
automne77 Posts: 13 Member
Hi all,

I'm new and read quite a bit on the EM2WL, and I have a few questions. Would appreciate it if you guys can help.

I am a breastfeeding mom. I have 2 kids and at this point of time the only exercise I get in is running around the kids, and house chores. I don't do cardio or weight lifting.
Based on the scooby calculator and the following selections
**1-3 hours of light exercise
**15% calorie reduction
**4 meals a day
**45% protein
**30% carbs
**25% fat

I got the following answers :
BMR - 1520
TDEE - 2091
Daily calories based on goal - 1777

I have currently set my goals to 1800 calories a day.

Also is it best to start with cardio or must we do weights. I have never done weights in my life.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Strength training becomes increasingly important as women age. Muscles naturally shrink year on year after the age of around 30. Bone density also starts to decrease. Strength training can help preserve muscle mass and keep bone density high, lowering the risk if osteoporosis later in life. Having more muscle also helps keep the metabolism higher meaning we can continue to eat well without gaining weight as we age :)

This is why weight training is thought so highly of and most women on here would recommend it. If you don't have access to a gym you could start with body weight programs.

Cardio is also important for heart and respiratory health so most people do a combination of the two.

If you are adding in more workouts to your regime remember to recalculate your TDEE to reflect a higher activity level.

Welcome to the group!
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i love the idea of weights but it's impractical for my lifestyle long term, so instead i compromise by doing jillian michaels with weights (currently 2 10lbs).
    just a note to keep in mind, that breastfeeding part is an important part of the equation, think like 500 cals a day just to maintain a good supply. not sure how that fits in with this concept EM2WL, but a friend who has had great success, up'ed her cals then added breastfeeding into her food log, it comes up as a negative intake and adjusts your cals like an exercise only it's logged as food.

as for the rest of your numbers, looks a lot like mine (stay at home mom to one 3yr old) i have things set to not include my workouts since they vary so much and then i eat back some-all of those cals as well since they are not accounted for in the tdee/bmr already.

good luck and welcome!
  • automne77
    automne77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Do these numbers seem reasonable ?? Do I go up in these numbers on the days I actually do workout.