Advice for reducing body fat %

Options
hballack
hballack Posts: 114 Member
Hello,

I'm 5'7", approx 145 lbs, 36 years old, 29-30% body fat. I would like to lose about 10 more lbs but more importantly reduce my body fat%. I'm currently strength training 3 days per week and eating at a calorie deficit. The % deficit varies depending on what I have going on that day but I usually shoot for 15-20%. If I go out to dinner and I strength train that day I occasionally eat at TDEE, but this is not an every day occurance. Sometimes if I work I burn a lot of calories at work and have difficulty eating them all, but this is not an every day occurance either. I seem to have difficulty getting my macros to 40/30/30. I am usually over on fat, typically at about 35%. Any advice for me since I do not have a lot of lbs to lose, but more body fat %? Should I really focus hard on eating less fat or does it not matter so much? My food and exercise diaries are open.

Thanks for your advice.

Heather

Replies

• katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Eating fat shouldn't matter. In order to lose body fat, just keep doing what you are doing. Be more concerned about going over on carbs or under on protein (I didn't look at your diary, so if you are already doing this, keep it up!). Make sure you are challenging your muscles in your weights workouts, and keep eating at a deficit. It's harder to lose just fat, but you can lose mostly fat by doing exactly what you are doing.

Do you do any cardio? If not, maybe you can add in some HIIT? Static cardio has fallen out of favor as it burns a lot of muscle as well as fat, but short bursts of intensity seem to work well in conjunction with weights, or you could circuit train--add in some jumping jacks or high knees or a lap or two around the track during your weights workouts to keep your heart rate up.

Most of all, don't get discouraged. Genetics determine how quickly and easily we build and keep muscle, so it's harder for some than others, but it's possible for everyone. Just make sure you don't skimp on protein and keep up your work with the weights!
  • AmyzNewGroove
    AmyzNewGroove Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Eating fat shouldn't matter. In order to lose body fat, just keep doing what you are doing. Be more concerned about going over on carbs or under on protein (I didn't look at your diary, so if you are already doing this, keep it up!). Make sure you are challenging your muscles in your weights workouts, and keep eating at a deficit. It's harder to lose just fat, but you can lose mostly fat by doing exactly what you are doing.

Do you do any cardio? If not, maybe you can add in some HIIT? Static cardio has fallen out of favor as it burns a lot of muscle as well as fat, but short bursts of intensity seem to work well in conjunction with weights, or you could circuit train--add in some jumping jacks or high knees or a lap or two around the track during your weights workouts to keep your heart rate up.

Most of all, don't get discouraged. Genetics determine how quickly and easily we build and keep muscle, so it's harder for some than others, but it's possible for everyone. Just make sure you don't skimp on protein and keep up your work with the weights!

^^ I completely agree with this.

Focus on getting between 1-1.5g of protein per lb of body weight during the day, sometimes that doesn't necessarily equate to 30%.

Also, I am a firm believer that a before/after workout meals are super important for strength training performance and healing muscles afterward. I always get a small snack in 30 minutes prior to lifting (mostly carbs/protein, e.g. flavored greek yogurt), and then get a post exercise meal in within 30 minutes. Some quick acting carbs (e.g. fruit) and a decent amount of protein (e.g. fruit smoothie with greek yogurt, or banana and a protein shake) do the trick. :)
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    ^^^^^ great responses to the OP.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Since your focus is fat loss, I suggest eating TDEE and lift heavy challenging yourself every session. Eating at TDEE will allow you to slowly gain lean muscle which will in turn burn off the fat. Add 2-3 HIIT sessions weekly which will help you preserve muscle and burn fat.

Key increase lean mass!
  • bltrexler
    bltrexler Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm 5'7", approx 145 lbs, 36 years old, 29-30% body fat. I would like to lose about 10 more lbs but more importantly reduce my body fat%. I'm currently strength training 3 days per week and eating at a calorie deficit. The % deficit varies depending on what I have going on that day but I usually shoot for 15-20%. If I go out to dinner and I strength train that day I occasionally eat at TDEE, but this is not an every day occurance. Sometimes if I work I burn a lot of calories at work and have difficulty eating them all, but this is not an every day occurance either. I seem to have difficulty getting my macros to 40/30/30. I am usually over on fat, typically at about 35%. Any advice for me since I do not have a lot of lbs to lose, but more body fat %? Should I really focus hard on eating less fat or does it not matter so much? My food and exercise diaries are open.

Thanks for your advice.

Heather

Great question. I am trying to do the same I am 5'7" and 165lbs with 29% boday fat. My goal is 23%. So I signed up for the Spartan 1/2 marathon in sept with a bunch of smaller road races and obstacle course races. I am doing a combo of weight training, endurance, muscle strength and race prep. . Good luck.