The Ultimate Weight Loss Cheat Sheet

Options
The Ultimate Weight Loss Cheat Sheet
Written by Tony Schober

http://www.coachcalorie.com/weight-loss-cheat-sheet/

Set calories to 10-12 times your body weight. Use the higher number if you have a lower body fat.

Eat .8-1g per pound of lean body mass in protein.

Make sure you are getting in your essential fatty acids (EFAs).

Healthy fats should make up at least 20-30% of your calories for optimal hormone production, vitamin assimilation, and other vital body functions.

Carbohydrate intakes will vary based on activity levels. 40% of calories is a good starting point.

Try to eat veggies at every meal.

Eat the number of meals a day that best fits into your lifestyle. If 3 suits you better – great. If 5 is sustainable, have at it.

Focus on changing the quality of your food before cutting calories. Until you have 80-90% of your nutrition coming from whole foods, it can be detrimental to cut calories to an already bad diet.

Pay attention to portion sizes.

If you are carb sensitive, try timing your carb intake to your first meal of the day and post workout. Read more about how to implement nutrient timing.

Plan to lose .5-1% body fat per week, with the lower number being more realistic.

Don’t stress if you gain weight at the beginning of an exercise program. Intracellular water retention can cause weight gain even if you are losing fat.

Don’t focus on weight loss. Buy some body fat calipers and measure your fat loss progress.

Make cheat meals work for you – not against you. Eat what you want, but don’t wipe out a week’s worth of progress in a single day.

Water should make up 90% of your liquid intake.

Surround yourself with people that support your goals. Block out the negativity and ignore the criticism.

Remember that weight loss is a side effect of living a healthy lifestyle. Focus on being a healthier you.

Don’t compare yourself to others. This is a personal journey. Strive to be a better YOU each day.

Choose exercise you enjoy. Don’t fall into the trap of forcing yourself to do exercise you don’t like.

Make small changes to your lifestyle. Pick 1-2 unhealthy habits to change at a time, and keep working at them until they are healthy habits. Then pick 1-2 more. In time, they add up.

Be patient. Your weight will not be a straight line down. It will be a zig-zag from point A to B, but given enough time, B will be lower.

Don’t be afraid to fail. It’s going to happen. Use these failures to learn and make yourself stronger.

Work out with intensity. Force your body to make changes.

Find a way to add resistance to your exercise. Building muscle makes the weight loss process 10 times easier.

Discover your relationship with food. Find ways to cope with your emotions outside of eating.

Work at overcoming your processed food addiction. Restricting processed foods to 10% of your diet will net you 90% of your results.

Get in the habit of reading food labels – specifically the ingredients section.

Forget about supplements. They aren’t needed. Put your money towards whole foods instead.

Use compound exercises whenever possible. They are the most efficient muscle builders and fat loss movements.

Don’t forget to rest and recover.

Don’t push too much too fast. Work your way up to more exercise. Let your body adapt to the new workloads.

Eat beef, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy, legumes, tubers, fruits, veggies, and whole grains.

Your weight might not change for weeks. Take solace in the fact that you are still making great changes to your body from the inside out.

Try not to get so caught up in the day to day aspects of weight loss. Getting fit and healthy is a rest-of-your-life thing. Try to see the big picture.

Last but not least – smile. You can do this. The only thing that’s holding you back is your thoughts. Change your thoughts and you’ll change your world.

Replies

• JudeGilford
    JudeGilford Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want, but don’t wipe out a week’s worth of progress in a single day. --Love it!!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want, but don’t wipe out a week’s worth of progress in a single day. --Love it!!

I like the "Don’t be afraid to fail. It’s going to happen. Use these failures to learn and make yourself stronger" quote. It's partially a matter of mind over matter and not letting failures stop you from accomplishing your goals. These two match up great!

Moni
  • espree70
    espree70 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Love it.....Your weight might not change for weeks. Take solace in the fact that you are still making great changes to your body from the inside out.
  • abfit4life
    abfit4life Posts: 220 Member
    Options

Try not to get so caught up in the day to day aspects of weight loss. Getting fit and healthy is a rest-of-your-life thing. Try to see the big picture.

This is just brilliant. Every line struct home. Now more so than this one above. This is not my first weight loss rodeo. I've been the yo-yo diva...NO MORE!!! This time I'm working really hard to stay conscious of the fact that it not about the scale (even though I confess to that addiction). I'm trying to create and work a program that is sustainable for the rest of my life. This is not just about a Spring Break bikini or a June wedding, this is about living my forties and beyond as FIT and FABULOUS as possible. I've heard the whole "lifestyle" mantra but I'm still honestly trying to make it the core of my thinking.
  • Breizier
    Breizier Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Such sensible and pragmatic advice.

This actually makes it feel like less of a mountain to climb.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Love it...all true. Resilience, patience and persistence pays off.