What causes a huge belly?

Options
2»

Replies

• Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Wheat.
    And here I thought this group was where we came to escape all the uninformed BS found in the rest of the forum.

I thought it was sarcasm honestly.
    Hope so - maybe my sarcasm detector had a momentary glitch. It happens. Rarely, but it happens.

its ok, I didn't get the joke either but know her and knew wheat doesn't do it so its all good

Oh yes, 1Concrete was joking, no question.

I'm curious about the alcohol thing, too. On Friday the professor of my health and fitness mentioned something about alcohol being metabolized a bit differently by the body and that it might lead to adding more visceral fat. It was all very sketchy and I admit that I wasn't paying as close attention as I should have, plus it had the faint smell of potential broscience.

Wow, I added absolutely nothing to this discussion :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    In response to the OP...I have the same issue...at least with the big sticking out belly...Still trying to figure out why...
    I lift...eat healthy...blah! It's definitely frustrating. And no - I'm not pregnant...although by the end of the day I actually look 7 or 8 months pregnant. :(

Your perception of your belly is the issue, not your belly.
  • Saunz5
    Saunz5 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    agree to disagree
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    agree to disagree

Your bodyfat % is in the low teens last I checked. Equivalent to single digits for a male. Suffice it to say that your perception of what is a "huge belly" and the majority of everyone else's perception of a huge belly, is drastically different. That's the only point I was getting at.

EDIT: If you literally have a condition that makes your lean stomach look like the size of a soccer ball, please post a pic and I'll retract everything I've said.
  • sdalhall
    sdalhall Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Well, I blame my big belly on the disgusting gap in my stomach muscles, caused by eating too many fried pickles and carrying twins to term (13 pounds total weight at birth).

But, isn't there a real disease (Cushings?) that causes people to have skinny arms and legs and a big belly? I'm pretty sure someone I know has that. And that's what I look like pretty much after every meal. It's a food baby.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Well, I blame my big belly on the disgusting gap in my stomach muscles, caused by eating too many fried pickles and carrying twins to term (13 pounds total weight at birth).

But, isn't there a real disease (Cushings?) that causes people to have skinny arms and legs and a big belly? I'm pretty sure someone I know has that. And that's what I look like pretty much after every meal. It's a food baby.

Nothing to add at the moment..except, holy crap! 13 lbs? Wowsa!
  • sdalhall
    sdalhall Posts: 160 Member
    Options

Nothing to add at the moment..except, holy crap! 13 lbs? Wowsa!

Hmmm, counting all 4 kids, that would be a total of 31.5 pounds of baby that resided in this belly at one time or another. Maybe I'll make 31.5 pounds my target weight loss goal! And, I should totally cut myself and the droopy elephant skin belly some slack! :laugh:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    In response to the OP...I have the same issue...at least with the big sticking out belly...Still trying to figure out why...
    I lift...eat healthy...blah! It's definitely frustrating. And no - I'm not pregnant...although by the end of the day I actually look 7 or 8 months pregnant. :(

not to sound crude, but I have this same issue when I don't get enough fiber during the day..... a big ol glass of Metamucil helps.

:glasses:
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    sometimes it's because of this:

anterior-pelvic-tilt2.png
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    He probably carries more visceral fat while you tend more towards subcutaneous fat. How fat is stored is generally genetic. There is some rare condition that causes people to store fat in crazy ways, but I think that is hereditary too.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    The real answer is that any man who tells a pregnant woman that their belly is huge, whale-like, or anything other that exquisite, must spend the rest of their lives with an overly large belly (that sometimes even kicks and moves itself) to make up for their wrongs....
  • Latte_Lover
    Latte_Lover Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I know wheat was mentioned as a joke and I took it as such when my husband told me the reason he had a belly was because of the "wheat" products (and not he copious amounts of beer he drinks, which also has wheat but somehow it escaped his analysis). He has been wheat free since Jan of this year (even beer believe it or not) and his belly literally disappeared. That was the only change he did to his routine. I think it worked for him because he probably has a wheat intolerance. Disclaimer, I don't claim to say that going "wheat free" will make you slimmer but it might have a beneficial impact if your body can't process wheat". I still eat wheat, and lots of it.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    My husband claims that with age (he's 48) gravity has pulled all of his internal organs down to his belly region. He sounded like he really meant it.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    agree to disagree

Your bodyfat % is in the low teens last I checked. Equivalent to single digits for a male. Suffice it to say that your perception of what is a "huge belly" and the majority of everyone else's perception of a huge belly, is drastically different. That's the only point I was getting at.

EDIT: If you literally have a condition that makes your lean stomach look like the size of a soccer ball, please post a pic and I'll retract everything I've said.

Agree. And I think losing weight can kind of warp your own perception of yourself.

I carry most of my weight on my torso. Since losing weight, I have seen my arms and legs get visibly leaner. Even getting a good peak at my collar bone most of the time. Then bam, fat stomach still there. I think it makes it looks like it's not getting any smaller. Measurements would indicate however that it is (though I hate measuring anywhere around my stomach, since depending on what you've eaten etc etc can be so variable). Anyways, seriously hoping the "fat belly" look I have going is just going to be the last place to go. I have plenty of weight to lose yet so not super worried, running out of other places the fat can go from.
  • Saunz5
    Options

not to sound crude, but I have this same issue when I don't get enough fiber during the day..... a big ol glass of Metamucil helps.

:glasses:

lol my diet is all fiber. :p AND I take probiotics...
  • Saunz5
    Options
    agree to disagree

Haven't I posted a picture before in a different forum on this?