Diet before surgery

Options
So when I met with the doctor I was only given a weight loss goal of 10lbs..now my question is did anyone go on a special diet or just increase their exercise? And what worked for you to lose the weight?

thanks
Carrie

Replies

• authormarieskye
    authormarieskye Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I actually didn't have to do a diet before surgery, just the dreaded 2 week all liquid diet. And I actually lost i think 6lbs from that leading up to surgery, I know people that have lost more from it.
  • sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I wasn't given a weight loss goal before surgery either. But I did start implementing the changes that I needed to make post suregery. No caffeine, no soda, taking 20 minutes to eat, walking, and not eating or drinking immediately before and after meals. I lost 20 pounds pre surgery. My initial appointment was in May and my surgery was in September.
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    Did they tell you what you should be doing? Different programs have different plans. Some people are required to do an all liquid diet, others are told to eat smaller portions. I was not required to do a liquid diet or to drop any weight. I was just told to practice eating small portions, measure my food and not drink when I eat. The day before my surgery I had to go on liquids though.
  • arnfolly
    arnfolly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I did ot have go on a diet, however, I did make a list of foods I would require and purchased for my liquid post surgery diet. I DID exercise though, I wanted to be in decent physical shape before surgery. :)
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    My insurance required a 6 month supervised diet and then my doctor required 7 days of clear zero calorie liquids in the week prior to surgery. I only dropped 20 pounds on the 6 month supervised diet eating 1200 calories a day and exercising 3 days a week for 1 hour each time. But I dropped 25 pounds in the 7 days prior to surgery on only the clear zero calories liquids. I personally think my body was toxic and retaining a lot of fluids due to some of the medications I was on and possible food allergies (gluten, dairy, etc.). Not for sure but I do know my surgeon commented he had never seen anyone lose 25 pounds in just 7 days on the clear liquids.
  • xcarrie3137x
    Options
    I haven't met with the dietician or nutritionist yet. I went for my consultation but they wouldn't start me until i paid the $500 fee for it which i will pay by next week..I was just told my goal weight to lose before surgery was 10lbs and they scheduled my upper endoscopy for April
  • xcarrie3137x
    Options
    I wasn't given a weight loss goal before surgery either. But I did start implementing the changes that I needed to make post suregery. No caffeine, no soda, taking 20 minutes to eat, walking, and not eating or drinking immediately before and after meals. I lost 20 pounds pre surgery. My initial appointment was in May and my surgery was in September.

Yes i have given up soda, i still sometimes will drink 1 cup of coffee a day, Yeah my aunt was telling me the 30,30,30 not to drink 30 mins before or 30 minutes after and take 30 minutes to eat
  • 130down
    130down Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My insurance required a 6 month supervised diet before surgery. During that period the diet that my surgeon recomended was 3-4 oz. protein, 1 cp veg and 1 fruit for each meal. I lost aprox 30 lb during the 6 month period. This was the same diet required for the month before surgery, they do not use the liquid diet.

This should all be explained as you move further in the program. My surgery center was certified as a center of excellence, so they had a extremely detailed program. This included a binder (WLS Bible as we call it), this basically had answers to almost every question or situation you could imagine. I still refer to it occasionally 1 1/2 years after my RNY.
  • xcarrie3137x
    Options
    My insurance required a 6 month supervised diet before surgery. During that period the diet that my surgeon recomended was 3-4 oz. protein, 1 cp veg and 1 fruit for each meal. I lost aprox 30 lb during the 6 month period. This was the same diet required for the month before surgery, they do not use the liquid diet.

This should all be explained as you move further in the program. My surgery center was certified as a center of excellence, so they had a extremely detailed program. This included a binder (WLS Bible as we call it), this basically had answers to almost every question or situation you could imagine. I still refer to it occasionally 1 1/2 years after my RNY.

Yeah my surgery center is certified as a center of excellence also..so I guess we will see whats to come..thanks again for the help :]
  • booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to read of the different dietary expectations before surgery. I also am in the last month of a 6 month pre-surgery insurance requirement. My surgeon suggested 1200 calories per day for a weight loss of 10-12 pounds per month. He said that the more weight I lost before surgery would reduce post surgical complications. I had great difficulty beginning my diet, and then I found the 1200 to be too severe to stick to. I've done what was recommended here, averaging 1400 per day. I've lost 25 pounds total since Dec. 4. My sleeve surgery will probably be in April, so I expect to lose another 10 plus by then. I suspect that the heavier a person is the faster initial weight loss is then it slows down. I appreciate any suggestions for success and I thank everyone here for the support and encouragement you've offered.
  • Superchas
    Superchas Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Was put on a diet pre gastric band surgery to reduce the size of my liver to avoid having to be sliced open rather than keyhole surgery.
    Lost 21 lbs on 1200 cals per day in two weeks.
    Put me in the mood for weight loss.
    Lost 14 lbs in week post surgery before settling down to more regular loss.

Take counselling before surgery if available and advice from dietiticians.

Most interesting to me was how I was going to feel about old me once I had lost the weight.

My original target was to lose 136 lbs but revised this to ONEderland because of initial success above and desire to get to BMI of 24.

Hope all goes to plan
  • Andrewimm
    Options
    My insurance also required a 6 month supervised diet, and my surgeon wanted me to lose 15 lbs before surgery. I lost 35 lbs. No special diet, I started exercising and follow the post op habits/diets I would have to get used to.