Airplane Food

Options
reerazzle
reerazzle Posts: 81 Member
Any travelers out there? I am wondering what meals do you opt for? The Diabetic Meal or the Gluten free meal? Low carb does not seem an option.

Thanks!

Replies

• JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I opt-out and bring my own. The diabetic meal is 99% of the time loaded with foods I avoid and the gluten free option usually replaced the wheat/gluten with corn or rice, which I avoid.

A Ziplock full of nuts,a package of beef jerky or a couple of pieces of string cheese and perhaps an apple is usually tastier than any airline meal I've received.

Do the airlines even offer meals on domestic flights anymore?
  • reerazzle
    Options
    I am actually taking an international flight. Sixteen hours long?! I am not sure I can bring that much food. Perhaps the best strategy is a mix of both. Some of mine and the rest pick and chose from they menu the provide.
  • reerazzle
    Options
    Bump
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I am actually taking an international flight. Sixteen hours long?! I am not sure I can bring that much food. Perhaps the best strategy is a mix of both. Some of mine and the rest pick and chose from they menu the provide.

That will probably work. i remember being less than impressed my meal options on my 2 transatlantic flights and that was before I had dietary restrictions, so I've been much happier bring on my own things.

Have fun :-)
  • flyrobinfly57
    Options
    As a fellow diabetic and a flight attendant for a major airline for 33 yrs..ALWAYS carry your own food and medicines..ALWAYS!! If you order a special meal..make sure to do it early..at least 48 hrs ahead of time domestic and a week or so international. I personally think if you eat the airline food..you can decide what is what..carbs, protein, fat etc. We diabetics.. really have a good understanding of nutrients in food and how it affects our glucose. Airlines are charging for extra request occasionally so check it out with reservations first. Remember ALWAYS have your meds and snacks and take care of yourself. Wear a med ID too! Safe travels..Where you going and what airline..Maybe I will be your purser.
  • maryhitt
    maryhitt Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If I had to choose, I would choose the Gluten Free. I have type 2 diabetes and I recently found out that I had a wheat intolerance. So going gluten free is the best option of the two for me -- but I haven't flown since I got that diagnosis. The one time I ordered a diabetic-friendly meal on an international flight I was so amazed -- almost everything in it was carbohydrate! I would have been better off just taking the regular meal that everyone else got and then picking and choosing what I could eat from it.

I also second the advice to take your own food. You can take protein powder in a plastic shaker cup and add water to it. You can take some protein bars -- check the carbs, though, because many protein bars have more carbs than protein. You have to read the labels. You could even take tuna fish in one of those foil packets (but make sure to get rid of the foil packet right away or the whole plane will smell like your lunch, LOL!) Add some fresh fruit, like an apple, and some nuts, and you should be good to go.
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I do quite a few long hauls.

On the shorter flights I tend to take my own food, usually a tuna wrap. But I find this unrealistic for longer flights. For red eyes I eat before getting on the plane and refuse all food (you wouldn't eat during the night at home so why do so on a plane?).

The options vary drastically with airlines and the advantage of pre-ordering your meal is you get served before everyone else. The best options are usually with Emirates who let you chose online as well. If I pre-order I opt for low calorie and just don't eat anything that is too loaded with carbs.

The final option is what the old BigG used to do, get totally wasted in the bar before getting on the plane and snore your way through the flight :)