Memorial Day Low Carber Weight Loss Challenge -Week 1

Options
Week 1 runs from 2/25 to 3/3.

All are welcome. For those who are here for the first time, this is a Low Carb Biggest Loser style challenge. Since we are all at different weights in our journey, this way makes the end result based on % of weight loss. So, it equals the challenge field. Also, we will have mini-challenges along the way...such as track food for a week; try a new recipe; exercise...I am open to suggestions.

The week will run Sunday through Saturday. Post your starting weight on your normal weigh in day. Each week, I will post the status of everyone's % lost for the the week? If you don't want to make your weight public, just message it to me.
Anyone is welcome to join the challenge at any time.

This is the current list of participants:
Blessedwith3
Sherman7057
Lenorepyett
Kpierce169
Strawmama
Bakkasan
Triplemom423
MamaDee2
Sasmin40
doneatfour
tarakay84
Helenabc
msshiraz
cominupmilhouse
Rachel1913
EricCowperthw
slarobinson
codapea
HappySugarFree
smithntuck
BethieRose
GeniePooh
msandwich

Please post or send me your starting weight. Let's have fun!

ADDENDUM: It never crossed my mind that some might not use a scale, instead they go by measurements. So, at some point this week, send me your chest, waist, hips, right forearm, right bicep, right thigh and right calf measurement. You don't have to do this to be part of the challenge, but I really think it's a great way to see success for those of who use scales as well.

Replies

• rnlenore
    rnlenore Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    260 :-( Which makes me sad. I was down to 239 last summer but then I started working 3rd shift. New to low carb but not eating right and exercise. I started low carb to get my sugar addiction under control. Today was my first real day of induction and I managed to stay at 20 net carbs. The next 2 weeks are going to be rough because I don't like limiting my vegetables and fruit. This challenge is exactly what I needed! Good Luck everyone!!! Add me if you want.
  • Sasmin40
    Options
    Okè, let the games begin.......
    here is my starting weight for this challange; 228 pounds.
    Maybe I can get to ONEderland by the 25th of may.....
  • Helenabc
    Helenabc Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm Australia so I work in kilograms. My starting weight is 71.6kg (158 pounds).
    I want to lose 10 pounds to reach my goal weight.
    I hope being accountable will help me keep on track.
    With family and work it is so easy to use excuses to put your goal aside.

Good luck everyone!
  • BlessedWith3
    Options
    @ Lymette - Welcome to low carb eating. I won't lie, it was tough for me at first. If the first 3-4 days you feel awful, that''s normal. That is basically your body going through withdrawal as it switches it's fuel burning mode. It will pass. Drinks plenty of fluid and make sure your fiat intake is not low. Don't look back, only forward.

@Sasmin40- Onderland lis a wonderful goal (I was going to say onderful it's too early to be that corny) and realistic for this

@ Helenabc" Welcome! I am in 100% agreement that we often put family, work, etc. before our own needs. I am guilty. But this past week I starting putting me first and realized that I was actually happier which in turn made my relations to those around me better. We laughed more : )

I weigh Tuesday or Wednesday. If I feel bloated on Tuesday and push it off to Wednesday. But no matter how I feel Wednesday, I weigh. I know, silly. So I will post my weight no later than Wednesday.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Current weight is 276. I have lost 75 lb.s. in 2 yrs & been stuck at 274-280 for over 6 months. My magic # to get past this plateau is 246, 30 lbs. It will take me into an 18 dress size pants. This is my goal
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    My starting weight is 229.1 - grrrrrrrrrrrrr

I am with sasmin40 - I want to get to ONEderland!

I just need to control my binges instead of them controlling me and to get motivated to exercise!!

Anyone feel free ro add me if you'd like!
  • Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    206.2 this morning...ugh.
  • BlessedWith3
    Options
    Our mini challenge for WEEK 1: Conflict Resolution with Yourself. Live and the present and be forgiving of yourself.

A big part of our battle with weight is mental. We tend to beat ourselves up. That negative mentality is our doom. It puts us in a defensive position and not the offense. The belittling things we tell ourselves when we fall off our way of eating we would never say to a friend in the same situation .So be a friend to yourself. No more looking back, nor more regrets.

So this week, take every opportunity to re-frame your thought should you eat higher carbs, skip a day at the gym, didn't complete an assignment at work into a constructive resolution. We need to lift ourselves up.
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    186.7. I usually weigh in whenever I see a change +/-. For this challenge, I'll weigh in on Mondays. I have learned a lot since October, and one of the most important things I've learned is that there is ALWAYS tomorrow. Don't fret about the small stuff. So what if you cheated and ate a cupcake. Don't eat one tomorrow. If the scale goes up by 4 pounds in one day--remember, there is most likely NO WAY you gained 4 pounds of fat in a day or two. Just give it a day or two more, and it will go back down.
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Our mini challenge for WEEK 1: Conflict Resolution with Yourself. Live and the present and be forgiving of yourself.

A big part of our battle with weight is mental. We tend to beat ourselves up. That negative mentality is our doom. It puts us in a defensive position and not the offense. The belittling things we tell ourselves when we fall off our way of eating we would never say to a friend in the same situation .So be a friend to yourself. No more looking back, nor more regrets.

So this week, take every opportunity to re-frame your thought should you eat higher carbs, skip a day at the gym, didn't complete an assignment at work into a constructive resolution. We need to lift ourselves up.

Hey, ^this is awesome!!

I really wanna join you guys in this challenge, I would love some low carb support, but the problem is that I do not own a scale. I go by measurements. Right now I'm 35-29.5-38 and I'm REALLY trying to get down to my pre-holidays/vacation measurements of 34-28-36.5

So I can't really be a part of the competitive/comparative weight % portion of the challenge, but I'd like to participate in the mini challenges and check ins if that's okay?

Good luck everyone!
  • Rachel1913
    Rachel1913 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join the challenge. My weight as of this morning is 164.6. I'd love to be at 150 by Memorial Day.
  • BlessedWith3
    Options
    @ strawmama - don't feel that you have to weigh each week. While some need it for accountability, there are some that find it impacts them negatively. You do what makes you the most successful. So feel free to post your weight when you normally weigh.

@cominupmilhouse- I just modified the challenge! There is no reason why you can't be a part of it - so I have added measurements. From everything I have read, the tape measure is really the way to go...because when the scale doesn't budge, the tape measure will still reflect loss.

@Rachel1913 - Welcome! Your challenge goal is my ultimate goal...but I won't make it by May. I look forward to seeing you make it!

All Challengers: See the OP. I did ask for measurements...you do not need to send them to be in the challenge. But, if you do, you are in contention to win bragging rights in 2 categories.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Okay, I'm in too

CW = 188
    Body Fat = 24.43%
    Neck = 16.5
    Abdomen = 39.0
    Waist = 37.75
    Thigh - Right = 22.5
    Thigh - Left = 22.5
    Bicep - Right = 14.5
    Bicep - Left = 14.375

I currently eat 1600 cals a day, roughly, and shoot for 30g net carbs daily. I am working out using Tony Horton's Power90. Near term Week 1 goal is to transition from Phase 1-2 to Phase 3-4 of Power90. I want to do that at the end of the week.

Pictures covering some of my journey from 218 to 188 can be found on my Tumblr blog: http://www.tumblr.com/blog/ecowper
  • slarobinson
    slarobinson Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I won't weigh in again until friday. so i'll use my last weigh in

277lbs. Even typing that was hard. Ugh!!!
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'd love to join this challenge!

I haven't lost any weight since Christmas, but I haven't been very strict with my diet. I run and workout 5 days a week, but I have not been logging faithfully. After the holidays I wanted to see how I would do eating more healthier carbs (beans, sweet potatoes, brown rice, apples, almonds) but I still find it is too hard to stick to my calories when I have that stuff. So, I started February planning on buckling down and getting back into my low carb routine, except I kept letting myself get off track with one thing after another like birthday parties, valentines day, nights out with my girl friends... yep, no one to blame but my self.

I woke up this morning thinking it would be great to join a challenge and then I saw this! My starting weight is 179.8. I would LOVE more low carb friends if any one wants to add me!
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Measurements:

Chest: 37 inches
    Waist: 33.5 inches
    Hips: 48 inches
    Forearm: 8.5 inches
    Bicep: 12 inches
    Thigh: 26.5 inches
    Calf: 15 inches

Oh, and the weigh-in is no problem at all--I weigh daily because I can't stand not to--I get more discouraged if I don't, lol.
  • tarakay84
    Options
    I'd like to join too... my current weight is 206... ugh!!

PS I love the first challenge! very good idea!

Best of luck to us ALL! We deserve this!
  • BlessedWith3
    Options
    Welcome EricCowperthw, slarobinson and codapea!!!

As tarakay84 said, we all deserve this. We deserve to feel great, be confident and healthier. I deserve it. You deserve it.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    info above- stats- do you need more info? Can you add me to this challenge? :) I have a lot to share too- especially with fitness, I am a fitness instructor- personal motivator :)
  • HappySugarFree
    HappySugarFree Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This sounds fun and encouraging! I'm in!
    Monday is my weigh in day: 140 1/2
    :smile: