What is your favorite protein supplement????

Options
I am still pre-op but I am trying to find a good protein powder that I can drink. I have tried the vanilla body fortress from wal-mart and it is awful. Do all protein powders taste bad? Any insight/recommendations at all would be appreciated :tongue:

Replies

• Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Kalah7Renae12Vera Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I HATED Body Fortress. I use Bariatric Advantage (you may have to order online) It has 27 grams of protein for two scoops, and I mix Tropicana 50 with my vanilla powder to make an orange julius that will knock your socks off. It mixes really well with ice which is important to me because other powders consistency with ice gets funky. Good luck!
  • jillybean65
    jillybean65 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I tried Unjury protein powder prior to surgery and loved it. But after my surgery my tastes changed and now I cant stand it. I am now using GNC Amped Wheybolic extreme 60 cookies and cream and the chocolate. My advice dont stock up on something you like before you have surgery cause your taste can change.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of EAS 100% whey protein. I use the chocolate and vanilla powders and mix myself with soy slender soymilk or So Delicious almond milk w/added protein. I don't really like any protein powder mixed with water. I also buy the EAS Advantage or Atkins Advantage premade shakes for in a pinch or on the go. Great for pre and post op when your options are limited. Just be sure that you get the Advantage ones as they are the low carb/high protein ones. Read the labels! I do have a non-flavored powder that I add to everything I possibly can where I don't want flavor.
  • ragslittle
    ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    EAS Dark Chocolate - premixed. 110 Cals 17g Protein.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    There are lots of the vanilla and chocolate type powders out there that are good. If you want something different, try Syntrax Nectar. I've had the lemonade and fruit punch flavors. They are a nice change from the norm, and mix with water instead of milk.
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    I like Show Me the Whey, Fit Frappe Mocha, and Nectar roadside lemonade. I add some sugar free kool aid to the nectar and it tastes yummy! I also like taking unflavored protein powder and some instant coffee. I blend it with some ice and some french vanilla flavoring and some splenda. It tastes like a Starbucks Frap.
  • staceyhotmama
    staceyhotmama Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My favorite protein powder is Syntrax Cappuccino (lol I'm sure I spelled that wrong) However, keep in mind your tastes after surgery will change. I made the mistake of buying several protein powders before surgery that afterwards I could not stand.
  • RunningGranny
    Options
    My surgeon likes the Slim Fast 20 because it has 20 grams of protein and 33% of your vitamins and minerals so three a day gives you all you need but it's hard to find. I usually buy Costco's brand, Premier Protein. It has 30 grams of protein. I mix my protein with additional water and instant coffee to add more flavor.
  • suzannefthomas
    Options
    I agree with your taste buds changing. My MD has me using Sugar Free Carnation Instant Breakfast. I also liked the Unjury powders.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: to be honest with you i have NEVER used one from day dot!
    i have done fine with out it! :smile:
  • gaiagal3
    gaiagal3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have an extremely difficult time with protein powders...they make me gag and I couldn't keep them down for quite a while. It doesn't help that I'm also sensitive to smell and just smelling certain ones would turn my stomach. That being said, I've found a few I can tolerate after trying just about everything (thank goodness my hubby loves these drinks otherwise a lot of $$ would've been wasted). They are Syntrax Nectar in Chocolate, Strawberry and Cappucino. I also make smoothies with them and it helps with the taste. Because this is such an issue for me I tend to go for protein in other forms. Hope you can find something you like!
  • MissMary44
    Options
    I use Isopure. My nose and taste buds are pretty picky. If it doesnt smell good it wont pass my lips. So far this is the only brand I can drink. I only use them when I am having trouble getting protein in from normal sources. I use the dutch chocolate and vanilla. One scoop each. It tastes great. highly recommend.

http://www.theisopurecompany.com/en/powders
  • orchidmax
    Options
    My program does not recommend protein powders at all - they feel the proteins supplements are too high calorie, and too higly processed. They'd rather we get our protein from real food, using skim milk as snacks, and adding skim milk powder to milk if needed . I got some samples, they said I could use those on travel, when nothing else is available, etc. Kinda of glad I don't have to buy all those expensive powders...
  • mandyabraio
    mandyabraio Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, and so is every doctor. I really like the Muscletech whey protein, it has 30 grams of carbs for one scoop, makes a 8 oz glass. I prefer mine in water!!! I tried milk but I am lactose intalerant so that didn't work too well. But in water it's GREAT!!! It's a rich chocolate flavor, and to me it tastes like Ovalteen. I buy mine at Sams in a big 3 pound bag, I liked it before surgery but after I really liked it! I am still having two glasses of protein drink a day to get my protein in almost 4 months out....there is no way that I could possibly get my protein they want me to have (64 to 74 g a day) just from my foods. It has 160 calories for one scoop, and 9 grams of carbs and no sugar and 1 gram fat.
  • ErinShannon
    ErinShannon Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am totally hooked on Chike Iced Coffee - http://www.chikenutrition.com/buy-chike-coffee-tubs.html. I do not like any of the others - I find them too sweet - they make me gag. I suffered through them initially cause how else do you get your protein in when you re fresh from surgery and can't eat solid foods? A few weeks ago I was given a sample of the Chike and I totally fell in love with it. I just ordered a tub of it yesterday and it shipped the same day.
  • rachellouise_2003
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I'm gonna give some of them a try and see if I can find something I like and that doesn't make me gag. :happy: