Do you meal plan?

Options
This is something I wish I could get into the habit of doing!! I've done it for a week at a time on several occasions and it makes my evenings go so much easier.
I have to pick up my 2 girls after work and I don't get home until 6. My husband (who is a good cook) doesn't really ever know what to make so we usually end up making dinner when I get home. Then we don't eat until 7 and it just seems like the rest of my evening is spent cramming in baths, homework, cleaning dishes, etc. I also feel like meal planning would help cut the cost in the grocery department.
Does anyone meal plan? Where do you get your menus? How do you organize it?

Replies

• k_hamel
    k_hamel Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This is something I wish I could get into the habit of doing!! I've done it for a week at a time on several occasions and it makes my evenings go so much easier.
    I have to pick up my 2 girls after work and I don't get home until 6. My husband (who is a good cook) doesn't really ever know what to make so we usually end up making dinner when I get home. Then we don't eat until 7 and it just seems like the rest of my evening is spent cramming in baths, homework, cleaning dishes, etc. I also feel like meal planning would help cut the cost in the grocery department.
    Does anyone meal plan? Where do you get your menus? How do you organize it?

We try to meal plan. Usually on thursday or friday, I select a few options out of my cookbooks or the skinnytaste website, then I make my grocery list and try to stick to those items. On the weekend we try to cook a few meals for the week before hand, which kind of stinks because then we eat the same thing and that can be boring. However, right now that is what works best for us. I am in the same boat, I have 2 very small dependent kids (under 3) and my husband doesn't get home till 6 pm and then on rotating weeks its 8pm (he works at a hospital). So really I have to have everything mapped out. If we don't then I end up having a bad week and we eat out more or make frozen foods.

Maybe we can work together on this and inspire some ideas on what to cook :D
  • LemonsAndCoffee
    LemonsAndCoffee Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I would totally love to throw some ideas around with you!
  • top_mom
    top_mom Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Meal planning takes a lot of the stress away from the craziness when you get home from work!! I was pretty good about meal planning and then last month had a great idea to do a "supperworks" kinda meal prep at home! I made 16 suppers that only needed some rice cooked, or a quick salad. I froze them in large freezer bags, labelled them, froze them relatively flat and happily stocked my freezer. in the morning, I would simply take one out, or at the end of the day, tossed the frozen entree into a sink of hot water for a few moments, and then heated up. Delicious home made meals in minutes!

Maybe this will help you out! Good luck!!
  • LemonsAndCoffee
    LemonsAndCoffee Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Top_mom that is awesome!!!!! Where do you get your recipies? Are the meals using some of the same ingredients so you aren't buying a bunch of different items? I love love love this idea!
  • k_hamel
    k_hamel Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Top_mom that is awesome!!!!! Where do you get your recipies? Are the meals using some of the same ingredients so you aren't buying a bunch of different items? I love love love this idea!

Yes this is a great idea. Please share.