Derby Strength Workout for Fresh Meat

Options
hey there! I'm in Fresh Meat! although i've been doing derby for about a year and a half now, i've moved across the world and had to go back to basics.

I'm looking for a good work out that will help with my derby training but also help tone my whole body. (what areas do you find skating tones? mainly just legs and bottom?) i really need to strengthen my back and knees!

obviously there are squats!
but i also was thinking lunges, (great for knee taps!), push ups, sit ups and plank.

do you have any other suggestions i need to be able to do them at home with no equipment except a gym ball, easy for a beginner would be good too haha!

I'm also aiming to do an hour (i can do 11.2 km in an hour) of skating a few mornings a week, i am trying to go everyday but it doesn't always work out - do you think that plain skating will help with derby at all - my club only trains once a week?

thankyou xxx

Replies

• littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Do leg lifts with your skates on, as well as hamstring curls, etc. If you can get a copy of Roller Derby Workout, that might be helpful. I also find doing dead lifts with hand barbels helps with my lower back, for being in skating position.
  • violet_sphinx
    violet_sphinx Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Here are some basics I do:
    Calf raises: stand on one foot, raise yourself up on your toes, then back down, then pull your toes up toward you, repeat (to strengthen the muscles around my ankles).
    Squats and lunges (try doing both while holding your skates for extra weight! Raise them over your head as you squat and either hold both at your sides as you lunge or hold one straight in front of you and twist toward the knee that's not on the floor with each lunge)
    Leg raises with your skates on: crouch on all fours, straighten one leg behind you and lift and lower it in a controlled manner, engaging the glutes
    Fire hydrants with your skates on: again crouch on all fours, keep your core tight and lift your leg up to the side with a bent knee (like you're a dog peeing on a fire hydrant), engaging the hips and butt.
    There are about a million core excercises out there but you can't beat planks and side planks!

If you start finding that boring, Roller Derby Athlete is a really good site run by Booty Quake and she posts videos of workouts that you can watch for free. Hers involve a lot of dynamic moves that are for explosive strength and speed when you get a little more advanced!

Also, more time on skates is always great but see if you can work in skills you're having trouble with while you have some time at a roller rink. But there are lots of great off-skates exercises that will help you with derby even if you aren't skating every day.

Best of luck!
  • littlewhittles
    Options
    Roller Derby Athletic is a great resource, good thinking!
  • IsisCrisis
    IsisCrisis Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My league has been encouraging a lot of cross training. Instead of doing more skating for exercise, go for a run or a bike ride. Run up and down the stairs, take a spinning class, pilates, or just general weight lifting. The point is to get your whole body in shape and used to moving in all possible ways. Plus it helps with overall conditioning.
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Carmen Getsome has a dvd (and is developing another, full body one) that focuses on lower body stuff, I think they have it at Fast Girl Skates.

For the endurance and other benefits, I highly recommend Insanity. As a jammer, it was amazing how it helped my active recovery and endurance for jams.

Do some running, play some other sports if you have an interest... but almost anything will help (as other said, cross train!).

All the comments have great suggestions.
  • Vine_Monkey
    Options
    thanks for all the suggestions! its been great!
    using my skates as weights is a great idea because i don't have any :P

i might try running and i should fix the bike in my yard it was here when i moved in haha!
    my problem is i find it hard to get motivation to do different things (doesn't help that its freezing at the moment) - i just know i like being on my skates :)

what do you guys think of swing dancing? good exercise?
  • littlewhittles
    Options
    I would think Swing would be great cardio, not necessarily muscle building - unless you're the one lifting people. :)
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Dancing is great, it also helps with coordination and we all know how important that is. lol
  • IrateBeth
    IrateBeth Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Here is something to try (for anyone to try) that I just started on.

http://www.twohundredsitups.com/index.html

Like the 100 Push Up Challenge, this is a ramp up program to help strengthen your core. Core strength is pretty important in the Derbs. A strong stance comes from a strong core.

Don't let the title fool you, though, It is crunches, and not full on sit ups. So, if you're like me and have that tailbone injury, no worries.

Good luck Fresh Meats (and vets)!