How long should my weight lifting session last

Options
linski24
linski24 Posts: 155 Member
I have increased my cals since jan 1st. I'm working a tdee -10-20%
My exercising has changed with this too and I do a HITT class once a week ... Interval running once/twice a week and a Jillian michaels HITT once a week too. I have recently started lifting weights 2/3 times a week. I hope that I'm doing all this right.
How long should my weight sessions last ..?? I generally have been doing 4-6 different exercises at 3 lots of 12-15 reps per exercise. I'm lifting 20-30lbs depending on exercise and there's no way I can increase as I'm struggling when I get I rep 10 lol.
Thanks in advance

Replies

• bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    My sessions last in the 45-75 minute range. I take breaks whenever I want between muscle groups, and focus on 5-8 reps at 90-100% max. I wouldn't worry about the length of the exercise as much as the intensity.
  • linski24
    Options
    My sessions last in the 45-75 minute range. I take breaks whenever I want between muscle groups, and focus on 5-8 reps at 90-100% max. I wouldn't worry about the length of the exercise as much as the intensity.

When you say 90-100% max what exactly do you mean ..???
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    When I followed stonglifts, it would take me 30-40 minutes minimum, but no longer than 45-55 minutes. The heavier the weights got, the longer I rested between sets, so I wasnt doing more, but needed the rest in between. I did lower reps (5) with higher weights. Good luck!!
  • CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    When I followed stonglifts, it would take me 30-40 minutes minimum, but no longer than 45-55 minutes. The heavier the weights got, the longer I rested between sets, so I wasnt doing more, but needed the rest in between. I did lower reps (5) with higher weights. Good luck!!

Same. I'm doing Stronglifts now. (:
  • linski24
    Options
    At the moment I spend about 20-30 mins x
  • linski24
    Options
    When will I ever get to strong lifts ..?? At only 20-30lbs I appear a bit of a weakling :-(
  • CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    When will I ever get to strong lifts ..?? At only 20-30lbs I appear a bit of a weakling :-(

I would recommend trying it. You start out with the empty bar and work your way up.
    I was a beginner, and I'm doing pretty well. (:

Check this group out, it's a great resource:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options

I would recommend trying it. You start out with the empty bar and work your way up.
    I was a beginner, and I'm doing pretty well. (:

Check this group out, it's a great resource:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Yes!!! What Clover said! When I started stronglifts I had never done lifting with barbells, and only had done p90x type workouts. I find stronglifts very simple and you can adjust it as you need! Cant hurt to give it a try!
  • linski24
    Options
    Iv been lifting 20lbs .. I'm gong to try 45lb an the 5x5... X
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm doing NROL Supercharged. Including warm up, lifting, intervals, stretching/foam rolling it takes me about 1 hr 20 min.