personal intake question

Options
vsetter
vsetter Posts: 558 Member
Hi. I have been told many different things on intake -- everything from 1200 to 1500 to 1800 and 2000. Quite a range. I am curious as to your opinion. I want to find an intake level and stick with it for a bit -- instead of being confused by many opinions and questioning what is best. I've probably given you too much info :)

So here we go ---

Things you should try to provide for specific intake questions:

1) What's your current intake of calories, on average?
Current intake is realistically around 1500 calories. I have my diary set to 2000, figuring that I would shoot for 1800 (that was recommended by P90X), but it usually is around 1500 on average (recommended by bb coach).

2) What's your current average intake of protein, carbs, and fats, in grams?
On average, my intake for protein is about 110 grams. For carbs, around 150g. For fat, around 40 grams.

3) Do you use a food scale and measure everything?
Not everything

4) Do you track all of your intake, daily? (Everything?)
Yes

5) Do you take cheat days or days off?
Yes, but they are not planned and it is usually only a cheat meal, not a fully cheat day. (haha -- don't look at yesterday) :)

6) How much weight have you lost so far?
Hard to say -- I actually gained weight when I started lifting weights.

7) What is your activity like, both exercise and non-exercise?
Exercise -- currently doing strong lifts (only on my third week). Adding pushups to the routine and cardio following. So -- three days strength/three days cardio.

Non-exercise -- I work mostly in an office setting. I average about 3500 steps during my work day. If I have a program (I work for a park), by steps are usually 5500, give or take.

8) How long have you eaten at your previous amount and what happened in that time frame?
I weighed 123 (25% bf) before lifting. I started Chalean Extreme last July (July-Oct) and jumped up to 130lbs -- I was eating 1700 calores. I was not focused on protein as much, so my diet was heavier in carbs (my default diet, if I am not paying attention). Weight did not change with Chalean. Body fat did not drop with Chalean.

Then I did P90X (Oct-Jan). I was eating at 1800 calories. For the first 2 months of the program, my weight held steady but body fat decreased. During the last month, I started to drop weight also. (dropped to 128lbs, 23%bf). Fortunately/Unfortunately, I went on a cruise (mid-January) and gained it all back and more. Not just salt/water weight -- the 6 pounds gained has stuck and my body fat increased.

9) What's your height, current weight and if you know it, bodyfat%?
5' 4.5"
weight = 134
body fat = 25% (estimated with handheld electronic device)

10) If you're stalled, for how long and is it a complete stall (zero change in weight)?
It has been a month since returning from my cruise. My weight has not changed since then, but I probably haven't been giving 100% like I was before the cruise. I am working on getting back into full gear. I have been on a decent track for about 3 weeks now. I won't call it a stall just yet.

Side note -- it was so nice to finally go on a vacation, but wow, it ruined all of my hard work. :(

Thanks for your help!

Also, please ensure that you have your diary open.

Replies

• vsetter
    Options
    bump
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How much do you not weigh and measure?
  • vsetter
    Options
    How much do you not weigh and measure?

I measure almost everything, but sometimes dinner is estimated. My husband does all the dinner cooking and it is sometimes hard to measure after the fact. I try to estimate high, for error.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    You have quite a few days over the last month or so where you have only logged a few hundred calories and quite a few more where you are around or under 1,000 calories. Did you not log everything these days or actually eat to that calorie level?
  • vsetter
    Options
    You have quite a few days over the last month or so where you have only logged a few hundred calories and quite a few more where you are around or under 1,000 calories. Did you not log everything these days or actually eat to that calorie level?

Sorry about that. After returning from vacation, I fell off the wagon for a bit. I let the six pound gain go to my head.

Anyway --- looking through my diary, entries that are missed or are super low in calories, are missed logging days. Not necessarily excessive calorie cheating days, just days I didn't log. I noticed a few days around the 900 ish mark. Those were complete. It was put into my head for many many years that 1200 calories and less is what I needed to do to lose weight. For a part of my life, 900 was my norm. On days that I don't plan as well (usually days that I am off of work), I tend to default to that mind set. It's a hard habit to break -- but sometimes I forget to eat ;(.

It's funny -- when I ate at 900-1200 calories, my cheat days consisted of many many calories. Now my cheat days tend to be too low in calories. That is also why it is near impossible for me to get to 2000.

I appreciate your thoughts. I have been told so many things over the years that I would really like to establish a solid healthy plan. I'm not concern about stall just yet....just want a plan for healthy habits. The rest will fall into place, I hope. Thanks!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I think the best thing for you is to set you calorie intake and macros based on here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Be very conscientious about logging and eating to that level for 4 weeks. We can then see where you are. You may put on a little weight which will mainly be water and food weight and will be temporary. However, without consistent logging and eating to those levels, it is just too hard to give good advice.
  • vsetter
    Options
    In regards to TDEE, what do you classify Stronglifts in terms of activity? I am doing strong lifts, followed by 30 minutes on the treadmill.

So --- about 2 hours strength and 2 hours cardio per week. Is that considered lightly active?

Thanks.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    In regards to TDEE, what do you classify Stronglifts in terms of activity? I am doing strong lifts, followed by 30 minutes on the treadmill.

So --- about 2 hours strength and 2 hours cardio per week. Is that considered lightly active?

Thanks.

If you are using the scoobyworkshop calculator, I would pick the 3 - 5 hours of moderate activity.
This discussion has been closed.