Yoga Style Preferences

Options
TGKvr
TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
I haven't seen a thread where we really just talk about our preferred style of yoga, and what exactly they entail. I consider myself to be still fairly new to yoga; I've been practicing for about 10 months now.
Throughout my practice, I've attended the same studio and have taken both yin/yang yoga as well as vinyasa flow. Well my class pass has run out with this studio and I'm thinking of trying another studio - I've only had two different teachers so far and would like to experience a different atmosphere just for a change of pace.

The only class which interests me that is available in a convenient time slot is a Power Yoga (all levels) in a room that is heated to 88 degrees. Now, I have taken my flow class in a room that generally stays around 82-84 and I find it to be quite hot, but not uncomfortable. I'm wondering, for those of you with more experience, what I can expect from this class. Will the style be so very different from a vinyasa flow? Will those extra few degrees make a huge difference?

It's a bit intimidating to branch out from my comfort zone, but I'm willing to try. My only real concern is that I just got back from a month long vacation where I only practiced twice while I was gone (though I did lots of skiing and hiking). I wonder if my muscles will scream at me for subjecting them to something that sounds fairly intensive for a first return to the mat.

Any tips/advice is welcome. Also, please share your style preferences and what makes it the "right" style for you!

Replies

• yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say what one place's Power class is, compared to another. But if it's labeled 'All Levels' I would think that it's not that much harder than a Vinyasa Flow class. You can always ask the teacher/studio before attending and just do what you can, if it does prove to be challenging. As for the heat, I'm personally not a big fan of too much but I can see the benefits (one of my classes is done in a warmer room than usual). You sweat of course, so make sure to stay well hydrated:)

Don't be intimidated. It's your practice after all:) Doesn't matter what the other people in class are doing. And whenever I take some time off the mat, I worry that it might be hard getting back but it isn't, as long as I have been active doing other sports. But ease back into it just in case.

I wish I was exposed to more different styles and schools of yoga out there. I tend to gravitate towards Power and Vinyasa classes... I like getting a good strong workout I find! Recently I've discovered Ashtanga and surprisingly love it. I've come to really enjoy the traditional and set sequences of the primary series. (and it helps that it's taught by a teacher I really like.) That's my "style" at the moment!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    a heated power class will give you a wonderful workout. I find that i prefer a heated studio to practice in, as it opens me up more and aids my flexibility. Plus, the sweat feels fantastic. As far as style goes, I find power yoga and vinyasa to be very similar, so there shouldn't be many unexpected surprises. If, during the class, you find yourself over-exerting, always remember you can drop back into child's pose, or take a "watch-asana" as my teachers like to refer to it ;)
    As far as jumping into the class after practicing only a couple times on vacay, i think you should be fine. i've gone weeks without practicing, and jumped back into a 90 minute heated power class - kicks my butt, and may require me to modify poses here and there, but feels wonderful. that last savasana leaves me in utter bliss.

as far as my style preference, ultimate favorite is the Baptiste power vinyasa style for sure. I love the work out, the sweat, everything about it. I would love to go to one of his workshops. someday, maybe :)
    I also practice Bikram yoga now and again. And although the sweat is oh so cleansing and feels wonderful, I can't help but look a little down upon it due to Bikram the man sounding like such a douche. Plus, there is nothing that builds my upper body, arms and abs, like a solid vinyasa practice.

have fun in your power class! i'm sure you'll love it! :)
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Don't be intimidated. It's your practice after all:) Doesn't matter what the other people in class are doing. And whenever I take some time off the mat, I worry that it might be hard getting back but it isn't, as long as I have been active doing other sports. But ease back into it just in case.

Pretty much said it.

Anyway, I've tried: vinyasa, power, anusara, ashtanga, viniyoga, integral (I think that's what it was), plenty of mixed styles generally called "Hatha", and Iyengar. The classes I go to now are almost all Iyengar. I'm someone that likes to know details - the how and why of a pose. I like to experiment with different ways of doing poses and getting into them. I like creative sequencing. I do not like to be told that every pose I'm doing is "good" - I want to know how to improve my practice. I do not like heated rooms or music, I find both distracting.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I also practice Bikram yoga now and again. And although the sweat is oh so cleansing and feels wonderful, I can't help but look a little down upon it due to Bikram the man sounding like such a douche.

Check this out, quite funny actually:
    http://www.yogadawg.com/quiz5.htm
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I also practice Bikram yoga now and again. And although the sweat is oh so cleansing and feels wonderful, I can't help but look a little down upon it due to Bikram the man sounding like such a douche.

Check this out, quite funny actually:
    http://www.yogadawg.com/quiz5.htm

omg. i don't whether to laugh or just shake my head.. :noway:
  • ilovemaisy
    Options
    Huh. I have never read anything about Bikram the man, the douche.

Yuck.
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I mostly practice Iyengar yoga. I am able to bring my mind into my body more when I am holding a pose and working the different muscle pairs to get the proper alignment. I also like how props can be used to modify poses, so I can still benefit from a pose even if I haven't attained the power or flexibility yet to get into it fully. I also like that pranayama and meditation techniques are taught as well as asana.

I also enjoy a Taoist yoga class that cultivates chi and is amazingly restorative.

I have attended other non-Iyengar classes. I disliked the heated room -- I don't like sweating onto my mat. I enjoy taking classes with different teachers to get different viewpoints and learning about different styles and approaches to poses.

I should note that I don't practice yoga to lose weight -- I practice yoga to align my body, maintain flexibility, strengthen my muscles and bones, and still my mind.