going camping

Options
I need help, im going camping this weekend and need tips on what i can do besides hiking. I dont have a bike, so i cant cycle anywhere. Plus its going to be colder then expected..anything will help to keep me motivated..thanks!!

Replies

• VeronicaMcNeill
    Options
    Here are 9 tips I found to keep you healthy whiile camping in the cold. Hope this helps...have a great trip!

1. Plan Your Meals Ahead of Time - this will ensure that you at least pack enough well-balanced food so some of your meals are on track with a good diet plan. Plan out a good breakfast and dinner at the very minimum so you know you're getting some solid nutrition.

2. Choose a Campsite with Proper Hook Ups - ensure that you're going to have the ability to prepare your good meals. Some campsites won't have the proper hook ups to give you power, so call ahead of time and inquire about what's available. Bringing all that food and finding out you have no way to cook it would make for a rather unpleasant situation.

3. Search for Areas With Plenty of Hiking Trails - an afternoon out hiking can burn up a high number of calories and really give the lower body muscles a good workout.

4. Opt for an Area Within Driving Distance from a Food Store - for camps that will last more than 3 days, it's a smart idea. Maintaining some type of intake of fruits and vegetables will be important to ensure you're not falling short on fiber.

5. Consider Bringing Your Own Water - Staying well hydrated is going to be vital to feeling well. Many lakes provide water, but you can't be too sure it's safe to drink.

6. Invest in some Good Cooking Supplies - There are a number of very healthy campfire meals you can create if you're reasonably culinary inclined and can use your imagination, but having proper pans and pots will help the process out a great deal.

7. Bring Appropriate Supplements to Make it Easier to Reach your needs - if you're not planning on doing a great deal of cooking and are only out for a few days, using some wisely planned supplements can also help you stick with a proper diet while you're out. Having a good quality protein powder on hand can ensure you meet your protein needs at the very least and then using a multivitamin each day will make up for not having access to fresh produce. You may also want to look into taking some protein bars or other snacks to pack with you when you're going hiking, fishing, or just away from the campsite in general.

8. Stay Active With Camping Games - If you're camping in an area that has lots of open space, consider taking some active games to use while out there. Lawn darts, Frisbee, or lawn bowling all make for good games to play outdoors.

9. Bring Proper Clothing - Another must is making sure you bring a variety of clothing to suit different weather temperatures. If it does happen to rain for the vast majority of the time you're out there, having some rain gear can increase the chances that you don't just choose to sit inside all day long, but rather, get outside for at least a short while to be active. Proper footwear will also help ensure that your feet don't start hurting you if you do decide to do a few hiking trips, plus the support will prevent knee or back pain from developing.
  • Insanebug
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. We've actually changed when were going so hopefully it wont be as cold so we can go out and hike, plus see new sites.. ill keep everything in mind when i go