Week 8!

rduhlir
rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
So tonight was my Day 1 of week 8...and I just had to share this.

So...was running....getting into the groove...you guys know the feeling. At minute 15 I upped the incline to 1% so than when I transition to outside it will be easier. So the final part of the run I did an incline. Well...got towards the end and I look down at the millage....and I see 2.6...and I think, well I think I can get to 2.75...so I keep running. Past the 33 minute mark. Then I look over at the time and I think well I can get to minute 35. So I basically did Day1 Week 9 tonight. GO ME!

Replies

• bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    That is so awesome!!! Way to go!!!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    You have trained through so much to get to this point. I admire your commitment - and your stamina. Go you!!!
  • coldenkamp1022
    coldenkamp1022 Posts: 6 Member
    Great job! I just began Week 2 and was tempted to go further but refrained. Since I began last week, the muscles in the back of my left leg have been tight as a drum. I'm stretching, doing yoga, and taking it slow. I hope the kinks work out because I want so badly to be able to run my first 5k. Anyone else experience a lot of tightness in the back of their legs (around the knees)?
  • akopesky
    akopesky Posts: 42 Member
    Great job! I just began Week 2 and was tempted to go further but refrained. Since I began last week, the muscles in the back of my left leg have been tight as a drum. I'm stretching, doing yoga, and taking it slow. I hope the kinks work out because I want so badly to be able to run my first 5k. Anyone else experience a lot of tightness in the back of their legs (around the knees)?

Yes! I am on week 5 & I too had the same tightness in one of my legs. It went away between week 3 -4. It's for sure not there anymore. For me, I just kept at it doing the same. Slow running, stretching when done & at other times as well.
  • rduhlir

The tightness itself is normal. You get that just because your calf muscles aren't used to running. If you are getting pain around the back of your knees, in boot camp we were taught that was caused by hypertension in your running form. I have never had that...my pain is always in the calf muscle...but it ends up being excruciating. So much so that I am getting an ultra-sound for it.

But the muscle soreness will ease with time when your calf muscles get used to more and more running. Watch your breathing too, I have noticed that if I am not breathing normally then my calf muscles get stiff due to lack of oxygen flow.
  • rduhlir
    OMG! Okay so....I just did 5k (walking and running because it was outside and I trying to transition slow lol) in 43 minutes! Yes walked about 10 minutes....but, that means I ran 23 minutes outside! Why is this so crazy even though I am on week 8, and haven't even done day 2 yet? Because I did it outside! Yeah baby! And..in the cold! With shorts! Okay, I had a sweater...but still! That is a major NSV for me!

I was originally just going to run 15 minutes...which I did. And I was walking and was like....you know, I will just walk for 5 minutes and see how I feel. Got to that 5 minutes and was like, okay I go jog up to the gravel road. So I did....then walked. I walked to the other trail break off and started jogging again. All in total I think I jogged about...2.5 miles or so.

I just wanted to share that because my endorphins are pumping and I am in such a good mood. I love the way running makes me feel afterwards! HAHA!
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    I just wanted to share that because my endorphins are pumping and I am in such a good mood. I love the way running makes me feel afterwards! HAHA!
    [/quote]

Great job!!!!! I ran outside tonight too with a women's running group (1.2 miles with a break in the middle). Outside is harder. It was raining and about 34 degrees (turned to ice right after we finished running). Thankfully we ran uphill first, then the second half was mostly flat or downhill. BIG difference from running indoors on a flat climate controlled track! But I didn't feel cold or care about the rain. It was fun!!!

Doesn't it feel great to take control of yourself and push your self to do something you've never done before?
  • rduhlir
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/rduhlir/view/my-week-8-day-2-run-for-c25k-496872

Was going to write this here, but decided to blog about it =)
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    OMG! Okay so....I just did 5k (walking and running because it was outside and I trying to transition slow lol) in 43 minutes! Yes walked about 10 minutes....but, that means I ran 23 minutes outside! Why is this so crazy even though I am on week 8, and haven't even done day 2 yet? Because I did it outside! Yeah baby! And..in the cold! With shorts! Okay, I had a sweater...but still! That is a major NSV for me!

I was originally just going to run 15 minutes...which I did. And I was walking and was like....you know, I will just walk for 5 minutes and see how I feel. Got to that 5 minutes and was like, okay I go jog up to the gravel road. So I did....then walked. I walked to the other trail break off and started jogging again. All in total I think I jogged about...2.5 miles or so.

Kudos!!! Good to hear that you are kicking *kitten* even with your condition!!

I also did W8 D1 yest, it was ok. didn't have much energy yest. Hoping to have a good run tomorrow for 8.2.