Cortisone Shots - Long Term Side Effects?

Options
Over the past four years I have had 4 infections of cortisone for arthritis. I the first three lasted about a year. I just did last shots in September and it feels like it wearing off already. I know that I am well within the recommended amount, but just curious if any one has any negative long side effects. Has anyone felt that it just doesn't work or work as long? And has anyone moved on to the Synvisc shots?

Replies

• roadmapmaker
    roadmapmaker Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have had alot in my knee. I did try to space them apart - even waited a full tear. They made me feel invicable and I did do further damage. Last week went to check out pain in my knee and alas my cartalidge is very spotty. My choice is now Synvisc injection or more -4th - surgery. I'm loosing weight and it feels a little better.

I wouldn't do too many. It tends to weaken the tendons.. Just be sensible in your activities and always know your knee placement. Hope you heal up!:glasses:
  • tarajoneill
    tarajoneill Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks. That is how I feel too...l like i could move the world. But then when it wears off, it hurts worse than before.

Have you done Synvisc?
  • roadmapmaker
    roadmapmaker Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I haven't recieved the shot yet. I am still waiting on Insurance approval.

My sister had this done and it helped for about 6 months. Unfortunately her knees were very very bad; she did have a knee replacement in June of 2012 and it is almost non functional. She even underwent mobility under anethesia - and it still didnt free up the knee replacement. She has about a 90 degree bend and she has always been very active. So disappointing..
  • tarajoneill
    tarajoneill Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    WOW! I don't know if i could go through all that and have it not work. What a disappontment. Good luck with shots! I might be doing same.
  • tkdgirlms
    Options
    Steroid shots don't work for me - Synvisc lasts at least a year for me (about to get another). I've had 3 knee surgeries and have little cartiledge left. I have arthritis forming on one side and a cyst on the other, so I hope this latest shot will help - the steroid shot I had, didn't.