Insanity + chronic lower back pain

Options
I really want to lose the last 20lbs that I need to so that I can reach my goal weight, but I have had chronic lower back pain for 10yrs now and doctors dont know what's wrong. But aside from that my husband also wants to do Insanity with me, and we will be starting some time this week when it arrives in the mail. Has anyone else suffered from a chronic pain and still got though it?

Replies

• jandueporti
    jandueporti Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I can't say I've gotten through yet, as I'm just starting week 3 tonight. I guess it depends on your back issues, I have lower back problems (herniated disk in 2010) and my back still isn't great, but I've been doing insanity for the past 2 weeks. I end up doing either modified moves or different once that I am able to since there are some things that I just can't (won't) do - I'll try a move once and if it's one that I feel it in my lower back, I'll switch to a move that I know I can do (run in place, jumping jacks, mummy kicks) until that move is over. I'd rather miss a few moves than mess up my back again and not be able to walk for week(s).

I've pretty much decided that I'm going to have to do month one twice (at least) to get my core strong enough to move onto month two - but I'm ok with that :wink:

Friend me if you want & Good luck if you decide to do it!!
  • Seachicken84
    Seachicken84 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have had a bad back from a car accident ten years ago. I have am two weeks from completing Insanity. I have modified almost all impact type exercises the entire time. Don't risk your back, its the only one you have. The nice thing is your core will get stronger and in turn improve your back. When the exercise is a jump, I squat. I can't do the plank type runs or knee lifts, so I lay on my back and do the same movement. Exactly what jandueporti said, modify what hurts or will potentially hurt. You know your body better than anyone, take care of that back. At the same time, don't use it as an excuse to do less work. If they are doing a move you can't, bust your *kitten* doing something else working the same general area in a safer way.

Insanity works, even with a bad back. I have lost many many inches as a result. Final measurements and results in two weeks and two days. I am excited to see how far I have come. Just remember, you won't always feel like working out but once you start then finish you will be soooooo glad you did. If you are working out with your husband, use him as motivation and accountability and be the same for him. You guys can do this!!!
  • Seachicken84
    Options
    How is going for you?
  • lhogan50
    Options
    I started today and already feel it in my lower back. Not painful more uncomfortable. I am going to modify some moves if I feel pain or discomfort. Of course the main point of doing this workout for me is to lose belly fat and get my core stonger. With that it should help with the lower back discomfort I hope.
  • i_alanis
    Options
    I have lower back issues and I'm doing Insanity. I'm starting my third week :). I also agree with other posts, modify the moves that can jeopardize your lower back. My back is not as sore as it used to be the very first week. I guess those lower muscles are getting used to moving and stretching.
  • Seachicken84
    Options
    Also do extra stretching before and after. For my back it helps tremendously to stretch the gluteus muscles. Can't say for certain that will help you, but sure couldn't hurt. Stronger abs will indeed help your back. Good luck.
  • dsendre
    dsendre Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    When I get a sore back from Insanity, it's usually due to poor form while doing squats. I try to lean back to much and it causes pain directly above my pelvis at the bottom of my back. I've now adjusted my squats and have been working on keeping my back straight to fix the problem.
  • shadowzx129
    shadowzx129 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! Its all good advice that I will take in and use. I've gotten way off track working two jobs now and taking care of my baby girl. But I am starting up my Insanity workout once again! I am going to start Monday when I have the next couple of days off.
  • shadowzx129
    shadowzx129 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This time I am just 10lbs away from GW =) super stoked about that~!
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I know this is late, but I wanted to comment here because I have also had issues with my lower back including pain. The key is to focus extremely hard on keeping your core tight, even if you have to move slower in order to do that. Secondly, if you are able, I'd recommend seeing a chiropractor as doing that has helped me tremendously.