Advice on Training Program

Options
A little background info:

5'6" female
130 pounds
Approximately 19% BF
Estmated TDEE = 2000 (Based on calculation in "In Place of a Road Map")
Current Calorie Goal = 1800 (40/30/30 Carbs/Protein/Fat) (Basically just based on slight, 10%, cut from TDEE)

I've been lifting heavy and concentrating on compound lifts for about a year now. I've seen great progress so far in terms of appearance and progressing in the amount of weight I can perform on each lift, but I'm beginning to feel like I need something a little more structured in terms of a training routine. What I currently do is based around compound lifts but its mostly just what I've pick up on doing my own research.

I'm wondering if you could provide any recommendations for a program/routine to follow for a bit? I'm looking to drop a little bit more body fat to see muscle definition more and overall increase strength on all my lifts. I've heard a lot about Starting Strength and Stronglifts but wasn't sure if you would still recommend this as I do have some knowledge of lifting or if there are any other programs you would recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'd look at stronglifts.
  • brooklyn_87
    brooklyn_87 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks - any specific reasons for choosing Stronglifts?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Thanks - any specific reasons for choosing Stronglifts?

Slightly higher volume, potential to be just slightly better given you've got a year of experience.

Both would be fine choices though, just for the record. They both excellent programs and you'd do fine on either.
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 5 of Stronglifts and really like it. The free app you can download to your phone tracks your workouts and automatically adds weight whenever you successfully complete a session. I will say, however, that I found the videos by Mark Rippetoe on youtube more useful and informative when it comes to form and technique.

Based on a comment by SideSteel I also checked out a video by Mark Tate on the Bench Press. It made a huge difference. Thanks, SS.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I'm in week 5 of Stronglifts and really like it. The free app you can download to your phone tracks your workouts and automatically adds weight whenever you successfully complete a session. I will say, however, that I found the videos by Mark Rippetoe on youtube more useful and informative when it comes to form and technique.

Based on a comment by SideSteel I also checked out a video by Mark Tate on the Bench Press. It made a huge difference. Thanks, SS.

Dave Tate, and no problem =)
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Oops! Yep. Dave. Good thing I have the link in my favorites. :embarassed:
  • brooklyn_87
    brooklyn_87 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply! I'll look into Stronglifts a little more.