Question

Options
I've asked this to my other MFP friends but how do you motivate a friend who doesnt really care (but knows they need to) lose weight?

My best friend is around the same height at me 4'9" and weights maybe close to 300lbs! If I'm 4'9 and I now weight 175 and i'm having troubles (just climbing a flight of stairs) I know life must be hard for her! She always complaining of headaches and knee pains... I really think she may have some type issues such as high bp or diabetes but she wont go to doctor (money issues) but like I told her your heatlh is more important you can always go to a ER and have them bill you!

I've tried to get her to go on simple walks with me and she wont... i brag about the 14lbs I've lost in a month and she's happy but she still doesnt want to do anything! i've tried to get her to at least change her eating habits but he says her "man" wont eat healthly (he has diabetes) so they really should be living a healthier lifestyle! She loves to cook but she always posting pics of what she's cooking and its always super cheesy, greasy and great for the tastebuds but bad for the heart!

Im just really scared if she doesnt lose weight she is going to die!

Replies

• keya729
    keya729 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately when you have someone that isn't deteremined to do something about their weight issues it's very difficult to get them motivated. Try getting her to walk with you starting with little stuff like maybe asking her to go to mall and pretend you don't know what you want lol. Or maybe asking her to go grocery shopping at a outside market or flea market and try walking for 30mins. I hope this helps!! :happy:
  • serenitygranted11
    Options
    I'll try the mall thing (even tho) I hate shopping! i've tried to get her to go on a short walk with me just around my block since she wanted to come over but she opted to stay home and catch me another time! I just pray cause it's BAD!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Trying small things is good, but you can't make someone do something they're not ready to do. Though I don't know what my trigger was to finally get off my *kitten* and do something and to keep doing it for over a year, but I do know it was not a doctor chastising me or my friends or family doing the "I'm concerned about your health" conversation. Hopefully if she sees how great you're doing, something might click in her, but try not "throwing" it in her face about how much you've lost or make comments about what she's eating, because I'm sure she already feels bad enough. Let her know when she's ready, you're there for her, but until then just be her friend. And it sounds like you are a really great friend.