Intimidated by Crossfit

Options
I have been reading and seeing videos about Crossfit. It looks fun but I am a bit intimidated. Everyone looks so fit and I am not there. Not that many choices here in Mexico...one new class a few blocks from me. Teacher reassures me that we will take our time. I have a herniated disc that gives me trouble from time to time. What do you think? Is it doable...should I feel intimidated? Any advice on how to start or exercises I should avoid?

Replies

• cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hi or Hola!! I have not done any crossfit but I have seen some workouts and they can be intimidating! Consider doing some body weight exercises like push ups or pull ups! Since you have a herniated disk you might want to do some weight lifting from a sitting position! I say this because my husband has a bad back and he has built out strength now but I know for some exercises he can't do them sitting!
    Cindy
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    You can find Crossfit WOD (workout of the day) by googling this. Do what you can, and be assured that what is more important is to just move. Walk, do pushups, play with your kids, swim, dance ... just move and revel in the wellness of your body. You don't have to join a gym or be Mr. Perfect Body; what do you want to be able to do? Lift a bag of cement in the trunk of your car? Toss your kids on your knee? Scoop up your love and kiss her? Play soccer with your friends? Those are goals you can work toward.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=workout+of+the+day&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    With a herniated disc, I would avoid Crossfit like the plague. Maybe more so.

Add some weightlifting at your own pace. You're adding in some work capacity to your body, building up muscle and bone density. Concentrate on form. Crossfit is unlikely to serve you well, even in the rare case that your local box can properly address your situation.

EDIT: ZeroMilediet's advice may be even better than mine.
  • little_miss_panda
    Options
    I didn't particularly enjoy Crossfit, and found a circuits class at a local gym that suited me better. I did find it too intimidating, but every box is different. But I would probably be very very careful with lifting with a herniated disc - you might be best to consult a physio with regard to what activities are and aren't good for that.
  • msandwich
    Options
    I would do Crossfit if I had a Crossfit gym near by. The workouts are great, but it's the community aspect that is the great aspect. Don't be intimidated, those people that you see in the videos are just the spearhead of the Crossfit community. And trust me, every workout can be scaled down to your abilities.
  • myrnacpagan
    myrnacpagan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I went today to a boxing/physical conditioning class and LOVED it!!! Much easier on my back. I am also doing my own 30 min. circuit training and adjusting exercises as needed. Considering how I could hardly walk a year ago my back is doing great. I am excited to be active!
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I started Crossfit in January. My box is top notch in terms of coaching. The head coach came from Reebok's HQ which is one of the top CF affiliates around. At every class, there are at least 3 coaches on the floor. I feel like I get LOTS of coaching on every move.

And still, their eyes can't be on me every moment, and it seems like as soon as they walk away, my form goes to ****, because they look back at me and correct me some more. So I agree with the others, I would not do CF with a herniated disc. But I would also say that if you have not lifted weights before, don't do that either without a personal trainer to coach you and watch your every move for a few months.