Today's my Birthday and my 1st day of Stage 1

Options
Today I turn 29 and today I start stage 1 of this program! Just took my measurements and 'before' photos this morning!

Goals:
1. I am going to go into my 30s looking better (and in better shape) than I ever did (was) in my 20s.
2. I'm going to be able to wear the dress that I'm wearing in my profile picture again when I'm done. (extra credit it if I can do it comfortably without Spanx) :)

Anyone else just starting out??

Anyone who has been doing it for a while have any advice?

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday!!! :drinker:

I just started Stage 1 last night. I need to take pics tonight! (Forgot to do it before, oops)

I was really nervous about going into the "boy's section" but luckily the gym is new and just opened last night, so a lot of people were kind of wandering around checking out equipment like me. I also had the training log and pen in my hand so people knew I was doing a program. I'm not nervous at all now, and really looking forward to workout B tomorrow!

Good luck, and have fun! I never thought that lifting could be fun, but for some reason it's so satisfying and awesome.
  • IliN82
    IliN82 Posts: 108
    Options
    I also just turned 30! Just ordered the book. Are you guys doing it on your own? I can't afford a personal trainer at the gym at the moment so looking hopefully this will be easy to follow! Apart from a few pump classes I am a newbie at lifting. I am almost scared to venture into that area of the gum and look like an idiot! Do you bring the book with you?
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    First of all...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! :drinker:

Second: Your goals are awesome!

Third: I am on the last week of Stage 1. My advice is to have no fear of the weight room. You have just as much right to be there as the boys do...and you never know....you may just out-lift them by the time you're done! :wink:

For the first couple of weeks, make sure you concentrate more on your form then your weight. When you get the form down, then add the weight. You don't want to get injured! Take the book with you for the first few sessions. That way you can reference your exercises and look at the form to make sure you are doing the right exercises.

Consider doing the TDEE calcuations (if you don't already). If you aren't eating enough, then you are not going to be able to progress.

Keep coming back to the NROLFW forms. You can learn lots and make some pretty awesome friends!!

Good luck! I hope you love it!!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I also just turned 30! Just ordered the book. Are you guys doing it on your own? I can't afford a personal trainer at the gym at the moment so looking hopefully this will be easy to follow! Apart from a few pump classes I am a newbie at lifting. I am almost scared to venture into that area of the gum and look like an idiot! Do you bring the book with you?

I am doing it on my own too, and I was TERRIFIED. I was literally sitting in my car in the parking lot of the gym telling myself to take deep breaths and that everything will be ok. So strange how we get so nervous about the "big boy" weights!

I didn't bring the book with me. I just brought the training log that I printed out from werkit.com and a pen, and I made sure to write down the order to do everything in and how many sets/reps. I youtubed all of the workouts before I went so I know what to do for form and range of motion. Definitely bring the book if you don't think you'll remember how you should do everything though. I might bring it for the next workout.
  • AnnaMolly17
    AnnaMolly17 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday and good for you for making health and wellness your birthday gift to yourself! I'm 22, I am a few weeks into Stage 1. Was really intimidated at first, but I've made a promise to myself to keep up this New Year's resolution. Wish you lots of luck on your new journey! The only advice I could give, is pay veryyy close attention to form, and don't be afraid to ask questions!

Good luck girl!
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    LETS GO LADIES! Check In often with questions/for encouragement!

OP - congrats on starting and your most excellent goals!

IliN - I think most of us are doing this without a personal trainer. The book is really good and YouTube is great with videos of correct form.
  • Luvs_Rage_Phish
    Luvs_Rage_Phish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the birthday love everyone!

First workout went pretty well - though it did bring up some questions that I want to see if others have answered already in this group - so I'm going to check those out next. Looking forward to Workout B!

IliN82 - I am not doing this with a trainer and I did bring the book with me into the weight room today. I think checking out youtube videos for form will be a good idea too.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Good luck, Ladies!! Happy lifting!
  • blissfulself
    blissfulself Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    hi all! happy birthday! today I will be doing my third workout from Stage 1. the first two went pretty well, although I chickened out on doing the squats in my first workout A, so I HAVE to do them tonight. I also was SO nervous, but I am going to practice the squats in front of my mirror at home with a broom just to make sure I am doing them correctly. I hate it because at my gym all the treadmill/workout machines face the free weights/machines so everyone on the cardio machines is just staring ahead at people lifting weights! ughh I'm such a baby, but I just need to own it. good luck everyone!
  • IliN82
    IliN82 Posts: 108
    Options
    Thanks ladies, looking forward to start!!! Should get my book tomorrow! I get one free personal training session at the gym so I will go prepared to ask questions on how to do the exercises in this program. Excited to start!!! Let's get bikini ready for the summer!!!

One question about the squats, do you the bar on your shoulder like you would at body pump?
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

First workout went pretty well - though it did bring up some questions that I want to see if others have answered already in this group - so I'm going to check those out next. Looking forward to Workout B!

IliN82 - I am not doing this with a trainer and I did bring the book with me into the weight room today. I think checking out youtube videos for form will be a good idea too.

The author actually has a youtube channel, http://www.youtube.com/user/louminator?feature=watch
  • Luvs_Rage_Phish
    Options

The author actually has a youtube channel, http://www.youtube.com/user/louminator?feature=watch

Awesome! Thanks!
  • danipals
    danipals Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Today was my second workout of Stage 1. Felt a little less conspicuous today. I have been going around 1pm so the gym is pretty slow. I'm kind of convinced that some people are just there to chat though.

Thankfully I have an awesome trainer friend that clarified a few things for me. She showed me the Smith Machine for squats. My hands were getting tired as I was holding 30 lb. dumbbells and my grip would give out! I had looked around for just regular barbells and couldn't find what I was used to. They had the curvy bar ones for curls and the super long Olympic Bar that I was afraid I'd knock someone out with!

I had trouble today with the lunges. Just used dumbbells because I wasn't sure if I could use the Smith Machine for lunges or what to use! I may ask on here!

Good luck to you and Happy Birthday!!
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Today was my second workout of Stage 1. Felt a little less conspicuous today. I have been going around 1pm so the gym is pretty slow. I'm kind of convinced that some people are just there to chat though.

Thankfully I have an awesome trainer friend that clarified a few things for me. She showed me the Smith Machine for squats. My hands were getting tired as I was holding 30 lb. dumbbells and my grip would give out! I had looked around for just regular barbells and couldn't find what I was used to. They had the curvy bar ones for curls and the super long Olympic Bar that I was afraid I'd knock someone out with!

I had trouble today with the lunges. Just used dumbbells because I wasn't sure if I could use the Smith Machine for lunges or what to use! I may ask on here!

Dani - I know the smith machine seems good when you are starting out, but you really want to shift over to using the Olympic bar. Your range of motion is limited and you aren't using all of your muscles to stabilize the bar...and therefore aren't maximizing the free weight workout.

The Oly bar weighs 45 pounds, so you should have no problem after 60 with the dumbbells. if you use the squat rack, no one will get close enough for you to knock them out ;-)

You should be using dumbbells for your lunges. What was the trouble that you had?
  • Luvs_Rage_Phish
    Options

Dani - I know the smith machine seems good when you are starting out, but you really want to shift over to using the Olympic bar. Your range of motion is limited and you aren't using all of your muscles to stabilize the bar...and therefore aren't maximizing the free weight workout.

The Oly bar weighs 45 pounds, so you should have no problem after 60 with the dumbbells. if you use the squat rack, no one will get close enough for you to knock them out ;-)

You should be using dumbbells for your lunges. What was the trouble that you had?

I would definitely use a lighter dumbbell for the lunges if you hands are giving out... or get gloves to help wit the grip. Another option might be using a weighted stability ball??

I am doing Workout B for the first time today! I'm super sore from my first workout so I'm hoping that I'll be able to get through it!