Ways to treat a Low Blood Sugar

Options
I am sure this has been discussed but I can not find a search function for this board. I am looking for ways to treat a low blood sugar that will not wallop me later on calories. It also needs to be fairly easy for me to have on hand. Night before last I woke up with a blood sugar of 57. Felt awful and started treating by eating a banana with a tablespoon of peanut butter. After 15 minutes, blood glucose 60, I was sweating and shaking so bad I called my husband who started feeding me chocolate which worked but later of coarse I add a ton of calories. So any ideas would be really appreciated. Oh and I went to bed with a blood glucose of 189, ate some protein yogurt and took my insulin. Should have been fine but as you see it was not. Seems my exercising is really giving me better blood sugars but is a little unpredictable.

Replies

• JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Chocolate or peanut butter are not good choices to treat a low. The fat actually slows down the effect of the carbs in either. To quickly treat a low, follow the 15/15 rule

Eat 15 grams of carbohydrate and wait 15 minutes.
    The following foods will provide about 15 grams of carbohydrate:

3 glucose tablets
    Half cup (4 ounces) of fruit juice or regular soda
    6 or 7 hard candies
    1 tablespoon of sugar

After the carbohydrate is eaten, wait about 15 minutes for
    the sugar to get into your blood. If you do not test within a good range
    in 15 minutes, more carbohydrate can be consumed. Blood sugar should be
    checked every 15 minutes until it has come within a safe range.

If starting out with a blood sugar of 50 or lower you can begin with
    30 grams of carbs and then lower to 15 grams at 15 minute intervals. Eat a regular meal within an hour or so.

Treating in this manner will hopefully avoid the rollercoaster of over-treating and then experiencing reactive hypoglycemia.

If you are routinely going low, discuss a medication adjustment with your doctor.
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi Nancy,

Thanks for posting this extremely important topic.

I've been using mealtime (bolus) and Lantus basal insulins.

I too am currently experiencing the same issues you describe as a result of my weight loss in addition to making healthier eating choices, and it can be frightening.

As you note, it's important not to over-correct during these situations, but to also bring your glucose up to safe levels effectively.
    Not sure where you are but, I found "glucotabs" available at any local pharmacy to be effective when I find myself in these
    situations. They come in tubes of 10; each tab is; 15 calories, 4 carbs.

I've found for me, taking 5 tabs (20 carbs) will bring my glucose up approx 35-40 points rather quickly. They come in a couple
    different flavors, Orange and Raspberry.

Also, working for me is Dannon's non-fat greek yogurt (80cal) along w/ 1/2 c of fresh blueberries yeilds the same 40 point rise
    for me rather quickly too.

I test, every 15 min following a hypo to find out how many body's reacting to my correction to ensure to prevent an over correction.

This book below has been, and still is a very good guide to good glucose control for those using insulins.

http://www.amazon.com/Think-Like-Pancreas-Practical-Insulin-Completely/dp/0738215147

Finally, congrats on your excersing and better control.

Feel free to add me if you like.

Good luck!

Bob
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I was told by a medical person that a teaspoon of packaged frosting works great.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi Nancy, KDIpiazz as usual has most bases covered. Using the glucose tablets 4-6 will give a measured glucose dose which is important. The only thing I would add to her excellent post would be to also have glucogel handy. This a glucose gel which can be used for a quick response or in situations where it is difficult for the patient to ingest tablets. The gel can be rubbed on the gums. It would also be important for friends and relatives to know how to administer glucose since a hypo can be scary for them as well. I carry both tablets and gel both in my car and my pocket.
  • nancyc64
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies. I use to keep glucose tablets with me at all times but after a while I got out of the habit. Making a note to go and get some the next drug store stop. I do not keep juice for regular soft drinks in the house because I will drink them. Thanks again for answering. I am hoping at my next doctors appt we can seriously talk about getting off insulin eventually.
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    HI Nancy - My name is also Nancy C and have been experiencing the same things. In fact, this morning, I woke up at 1:30 feeling "shaky" and tested. My blood sugar was 57. I ate peanut butter on some bread thins and felt better soon. I should have thought to grab the glucose tabs I bought over the weekend, but didn't have the right frame of mind to do that. I like the advise given by people. I will need to print out and give to my husband for when this happens in the future and he is awake to help me. Thanks for posting the question!
  • tracygolden
    tracygolden Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks,,, needed this info!
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    HI Nancy - My name is also Nancy C and have been experiencing the same things. In fact, this morning, I woke up at 1:30 feeling "shaky" and tested. My blood sugar was 57. I ate peanut butter on some bread thins and felt better soon. I should have thought to grab the glucose tabs I bought over the weekend, but didn't have the right frame of mind to do that. I like the advise given by people. I will need to print out and give to my husband for when this happens in the future and he is awake to help me. Thanks for posting the question!

Peanut butter is absolutely the wrong thing to eat to correct a low. It has no carbs, a little protein and is mostly fat which slows the absorption of any carbohydrates you do eat. You need an easily absorbed source of simple sugar in a controlled portion. Having a low is like getting the munchies when you smoke weed. It makes you uncontrollably hungry and if you're not careful you can eat or drink anything in sight
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Peanut butter is absolutely the wrong thing to eat to correct a low. It has no carbs, a little protein and is mostly fat which slows the absorption of any carbohydrates you do eat. You need an easily absorbed source of simple sugar in a controlled portion. Having a low is like getting the munchies when you smoke weed. It makes you uncontrollably hungry and if you're not careful you can eat or drink anything in sight
    [/quote]

Thank you for this. I will definitely keep this in mind. I do have glucose tabs and should have taken a couple, but wasn't really thinking straight. I will make sure I have better choices on hand for future lows.
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My go to response is: One small juice box of unsweetened apple juice followed up by a protein plus carb snack (peanut butter or cheese on a slice of toast) if its more than an hour to a meal. The juice box is portable, readily available and gets me out of the hypo within minutes. Not to mention, its kind of a treat because I love juice and this is the only time I allow myself to drink it.

This is about a 200 calorie fix. Since starting my weight loss efforts I have had quite a few lows - no dangerous ones as I get very symptomatic long before I am in real trouble - so I have gradually reduced my Levemir from 50 to 16 units daily and have halved my gluconorm. This seems to be working. Now all I have to do is break the news to my doctor......
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    My go to response is: One small juice box of unsweetened apple juice followed up by a protein plus carb snack (peanut butter or cheese on a slice of toast) if its more than an hour to a meal. The juice box is portable, readily available and gets me out of the hypo within minutes. Not to mention, its kind of a treat because I love juice and this is the only time I allow myself to drink it.

This is about a 200 calorie fix. Since starting my weight loss efforts I have had quite a few lows - no dangerous ones as I get very symptomatic long before I am in real trouble - so I have gradually reduced my Levemir from 50 to 16 units daily and have halved my gluconorm. This seems to be working. Now all I have to do is break the news to my doctor......

You should definitely not make such drastic changes to your meds without talking to your doctor first
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I must disagree with you, jaygreen55.

I have been diabetic for over 20 years and have, throughout that period, educated myself (and in some cases my family doctors!) on my condition and on the treatments, medications, effects of various medications, nutrition and latest medical findings that relate all of these. I stay on top of my blood sugar by testing frequently and regularly (generally 7 times a day, but more often if I am making changes to my meds).

Years ago, as a result of this, my endocrinologist put me on the combination of Levemir (an insulin analogue,) and gluconorm with the instructions to adjust amounts as necessary in keeping with food intake and activity levels. I have been doing this ever since. In that time I have had no dangerous low blood sugars and rarely any other issues.

Since then I have moved and it has taken me a bit of time to bring my new family doctor up to speed, but she is now heartily in agreement with my process (at the beginning I advised her of changes I had made and explained in metabolic terms why I had made them and how they worked - demonstrating I know what I am doing.)

That being said I agree that if one is not very well informed and is not vigilant about keeping track of what their blood sugar is doing - specifically in resonse to meds - messing with your meds is a bad idea.

I believe, however, that we should make every effort to ensure that we are the "experts" on our own condition and to take responisbility for our own health and care. I now work with a "diabetic care team" that agrees with me on this.

By the way, I figure that if I had sought pre-approval for every adjustment I have made since my weight loss began in November, I would have to have seen my doctor 19 times!! ( I might have had a low blood sugar crisis in that time too!)

PS> My doctor is very pleased with my results and cheerfully recorded my current dosages along with my drastically improved HgAic, blood pressure, cholesterol and micro albument numbers.

Cheers.
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hi! I also had low blood sugars two mornings in a row this past week. The first morning I woke up a little after 3:15 am, and my sugar was 48. I ate a banana, peanut butter cap'n crunch, and a cup of milk. Then I went back to bed. When I checked it again about 3 hours later, it was 93. The next morning around 2:15 am, my sugar was 53. I ate the same thing, but my sugar was only 63 when I woke back up. My sugars have been better because a friend suggested I have some protein before going to bed. That's been working for me.

I also take Lantus before bed. I was at 80 units of lantus, but since I've lost weight, been eating better, and exercising, my doctor let me go down to 70 units of lantus starting yesterday. I also gauge humalog before meals depending on what my sugar is and what I'm eating. My doctor is ok with that too. Sometimes I don't have to take any humalog. I'm also on 500 mg of Metformin twice a day.