Any low-carbers weigh 300+?

Options
366to266
366to266 Posts: 473 Member
I've just added about ten new friends all of whom weigh over 300 and I have been perusing their food diaries.

To my surprise, none are following any kind of keto diet. Their carbs are up in the hundreds and they are eating bread, rice, etc.

Is there something that I don't know about? Like, is keto not OK for folks like me? (I am 54 and weigh 345lb.)

So, how many lowcarbers on MFP are in the 300s?

Replies

• EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    I don't see any reason why that would make any difference. Certainly Gary Taubes would recommend you use this approach to weight loss and a healthy lifestyle.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    You can do this at any size. I think the biggest decision is to figure out what low carb means to you and at what level can you MAINTAIN it. I did Adkins before and that was not maintainable for me personally. So I keep my carbs around 100-150 and make them mostly from veggies and a little low carb bread here and there. Made a big difference for me. Others love and do really well with LOW carb and ketosis. Figure that out and make it work for you. Doesn't matter where you start! :-)
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I started at 325 in May 2012. I am 53 years old. I have been on a keto diet ever since. It works. Not only have I lost a lot of weight, more importantly, my diabetes is under control. You are more than welcome to peruse my diary.
  • Bill_from_Philly
    Options
    I started trying to lose weight at 367, then switched to Keto around 327 and have never looked back. Feel free to add me and look at my diary (I track all food..except coffee lol) etc. I'm rarely over 40-50 net carbs per day and mainly practice IF (intermittent fasting where I only eat from 2-8 PM) :)
  • bethierose
    bethierose Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Me!! I'm happily doing as close to Primal as I can get with my budget right now. And feeling great! Feel free to add me and view my diary. For the record, I am soooo happy! haha :) Welcome!
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I started January 1 2012 at 330 lbs! The only time I'm NOT in the 300s is when I am eating a ketogenic diet.

I'm a "measly" 274 now ;)
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I was about 350 way back.Got down to 250 and realized I wanted to pack on strength and muscle and got back up to 278 kind of intentionally and slowly only putting muscle on(I hope). Now tracking back down.

It works too well for me. I am one of those wizard snowflakes they cry about in the main forums. I can eat 2500 balanced calories and gym 6 days a week and not lose a thing. 2500 VLC and I drop 4 pounds a week like clockwork.
  • msandwich
    Options
    I'm in this category. Anyone is free to add me. I'd love to hear from people in the same boat as I am.
  • msandwich
    Options
    I've just added about ten new friends all of whom weigh over 300 and I have been perusing their food diaries.

To my surprise, none are following any kind of keto diet. Their carbs are up in the hundreds and they are eating bread, rice, etc.

Is there something that I don't know about? Like, is keto not OK for folks like me? (I am 54 and weigh 345lb.)

So, how many lowcarbers on MFP are in the 300s?

IMO, keto is perfectly fine. The only reason I'm not doing ketosis is because I'm doing P90X, which can be pretty physically demanding. And even though my percentage of calories from carbs is low (less than 10%), because my calories are higher it keeps me out of a steady state of ketosis. That's the only reason.
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    It wasn't long ago that I was in the 300s, now 277.

I went from 360 to 310 on a low calorie diet with seeing very little difference in body appearance (I think I lost 1 inch off my waist). Since being low carb I've lost just over another 30 lbs but seen 4 inches disappear from my waist.

I'm afraid I can't be specific about calories or carb levels as I gave up counting a few weeks ago. Feel so free for doing so too.
    No more weighing everything I prepare. The only "restrictions" I have is nearly all of my carbs come from veg (a small portion of potato at the weekend and maybe a Greek yogurt or two with berries during the week) and I try to only eat when I'm hungry.

Been doing it this way for 3 weeks and lost 8lbs in that time.

Weight loss without counting, who would have thought it.
  • Jack3r
    Jack3r Posts: 96
    Options
    I started keto at 331lb after I came across a girls blog one day when I was googling how to lose weight.
    And now im down to 217, all thanks to that girls blog, so awesome.
  • finallyforme32
    Options
    love some of you guys to add me, in the same boat and on day 3 of low carbing!
  • River__Song
    River__Song Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I eat 100 net carbs max a day including at least 5 fruits/vegetables daily. I haven't been low carb very long. I recently started as a way to help with my T2 diabetes.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I started low-carb in order to control my diabetes at 322 lbs. I don't go low enough to be considered keto, but do have net carbs in the 25-50 range. No grains here, very little fruit or legumes and completely normal blood glucose :-)
  • River__Song
    River__Song Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I started low-carb in order to control my diabetes at 322 lbs. I don't go low enough to be considered keto, but do have net carbs in the 25-50 range. No grains here, very little fruit or legumes and completely normal blood glucose :-)

Congrats on having normal reading. That's wonderful.
  • daddybyday
    Options
    Well, I just started (a second time) being a low-carber last week. My weight last Monday was 313.2, so I guess I qualify (feel free to peruse my diary, and if you see anything I can do better, go for it!!!!).

I've never read that low-carb isn't good for us bigger people (on the contrary, we NEED it more!!!!!) :wink: Maybe your other friends simply aren't trying the low-carb solution, and are trying the old "just eat less" diet (yeah right, if I could just eat less, I wouldn't be over 300 lbs in the first place), or the traditional low-fat diet. Or maybe they're not sure what to try!

In answer to your question, "Any low carbers weigh over 333+?" I hope my answer is, "not for long!!!!" :laugh:

Have a great day!

Tom
  • daddybyday
    Options
    Remember, the conventional wisdom says that low carb is EVIL, and that low fat, high carb, low calorie is the way to go (look at the MFP default goals when you first set your weight goal). More people listed to Dr. Oz than to Dr Atkins! I was there up until a year ago, until the old way failed me YET AGAIN, and a really good friend lost about 120 doing Atkins. That caused me to relearn some things.

The low-fat deception is really pervasive. I went to one of the best universities in the county, and took a diet/exercise physiology class, and not only did they push the whole low-fat thing, they discussed low carb a few times, but didn't even really describe accurately how it works, no talk of ketosis, fat burning, etc. It was more like setting up a straw man to knock down. And this was from leaders in the field. So maybe your other friends just don't have the right information yet.