Low Carb Buddies

Options
I am fairly new to low carb living and I am having difficulty deciding which plan to follow. I started on Atkins but my new doctor (I relocated) suggests South Beach. I think there are likely lots of problems with my eating. I am looking for a few people to share menus with on this site. Someone who has a good handle. I think I'd benefit from looking at other people's meals and would love some feedback on mine. Feel free to send a friend request. Thanks!

Replies

• msandwich
    Options
    I personally prefer Atkins over South Beach. I feel better and have more predictable weight loss. I'll give more info after a while. And tonight when I get home I'll give ya some recipes I love.
  • stl_nana
    stl_nana Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've done both and also prefer Atkins as I find it much easier to stick with for the long hall
  • kimimila86
    Options
    I've done both as well. While I prefer Atkins, I've started adopting this as a guideline rather than a strict rule. It's hard to be perfect and trying to follow either program felt like I was trapped. Good luck!
  • GloMash710
    GloMash710 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me to view my food diaries since they are friends only.

I've been on Atkins since 12-27-12 and lost 38lbs! At first I found it extremely challenging due to the restrictions but I've gotten really creative in the kitchen with my proteins and carbs.
  • Thyme4change
    Thyme4change Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I never did south beach, because when I was researching Atkins just seemed to make more sense to me, which made it pretty easy to follow. Last apr - July I lost about 20 lb. low carb is my way of life. Do what sounds reasonable to you and you will be successful. Good luck, Kim
  • gmansmom2
    gmansmom2 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I am on keto which is similar to Atkins. I will add you. Feel free to look through my diary however, I have been on a Fat Fast since Sunday so you need to go back farther.
  • kesslertg
    kesslertg Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've been a low carb person for years. Keeping out carbs causes hunger to drop significantly (except for emotional eating).

I suggest you go to Wal-Mart, get a glycometer (not very expensive) and some strips and measure your blood each day. Keep your blood sugar below 120 mg/dl at all times. What does that mean?

No bread. No sugar. No fruit.

Lots of salads, veggies and proteins. Careful with cheese and nuts.

Make a huge salad the mainstay of your lunch and dinner. Have a nice bit of protein with each salad. For breakfast, since I've fasted all night I stick to one egg. I simmer mushrooms and onions and add the egg to make a nice omelet. That usually holds me until lunch time. If I need a snack I might have a bit of cheese or a spoon of natural peanut butter (not anything from a jar thought because of the additives).

Hope there is something here useful to you. Forget about Adkins or South Beach (although SB has some great recipes ... garlic mashed cauliflower is great and I make it for dinner often). Just stay away from all breads and sugars. After 2 days you won't want that stuff any more.
    Tom
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I've been Keto since November 2012 and am down almost 27 pounds. Feel free to add me, and take a look at my diary. This week I'm on a Fat Fast, so it's not an ideal week to view. But I'll be back on "regular" Keto on Saturday.
  • kivaharper
    Options
    Thank you. I prefer Atkins too. Looking forward to hearing from you.
  • kivaharper
    Options
    You guys have been most helpful! I sent you each a private message with a few additional questions about your comment. I think my biggest obstacle is I crave sweets and I need coffee in the mornings. I'm sure that Starbucks is what sabotages me. The support means alot and I appreciate the opportunity to read your food journals. I haven't been tracking so well but will begin tomorrow and am open to any and all feedback whenever you have the opportunity to glance at it.
  • Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I tried South Beach, but it was just too "lenient" for my and didn't stop my cravings. I don't think the coffee is causing your cravings - it's what you put IN the coffee. I have coffee every morning with a spoonful of coconut oil and organic half & half, and it can leave me satisfied for quite a while. Feel free to ask questions! I'm no expert and certainly have my share of stumbles, but this group is very helpful!
  • malyndad
    malyndad Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Coffee should be okay, just stevia or splenda to sweeten and real cream (not milk) to lighten it. I don't follow a particular plan, just trying to keep my net carbs between 25-50 to see if I can get my diabetes under control.
  • jennb44
    jennb44 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am not on any of the eating plans like Atkins, South Beach or Dukan, but have read a bunch of books about low-carb eating and have found a bunch of recipes off this site and Linda's Low Carb plus just going out on the web. I didn't do any kind of bread or pasta for the first month and half but I have found a low carb bread that I like and a low carb pasta too. I don't eat them everyday though. I try to keep my carbs between 60-80 on most days, but not going over 100 is my maximum. I also keep my calorie intake 1300-1590 as well. I have lost 8 lbs so far since starting the 2nd week in January. I don't exercise currently, but hoping to start in another month of so with walking a couple of miles. Feel free to add me and you can view my diary. Good luck. :smile:
  • sunryse00
    sunryse00 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've been low carb since just after Christmas 2012. I read the book "Fat to Skinny", which is 20 carbs or less (carbs minus fiber and sugar alcohols, but try to stay away from the sugar alcohols as much as possible). Now I pretty much just stay away from wheat bread, sugar and starch. I limit and stick to the lower carb fruits and veggies. I'm the higher fat kind of low carber that focuses on the meat and cheese side of the food pyramid .
    I think my biggest obstacle is I crave sweets and I need coffee in the mornings. I'm sure that Starbucks is what sabotages me.

I love my coffee in the morning too. See if Starbucks has heavy cream/whipping cream and sugar free syrup. I go to Caribou and they make it for me, I love the caramel. At home I'll use either Atkins caramel shake or almond milk and Splenda.

The thing I like about being low carb is the experimentation. It's almost become a game to find LC foods to take the place of their HC counterpart.