Gym Workout

Options
JamieA8
JamieA8 Posts: 36 Member
I am tyring to take off my last 10-15 lbs as well as tone everything up. I have had 3 knee surgeries (most recently 10 + years ago) from years of soccer. I went to bodybuilding.com to try and devise a plan, but I am concerned about the amount of squats and lunges on the lower body. I am trying to work Shoulders and Armson Monday, Legs and Back on Wednesday, and Chest and Triceps on Fridays in addition to cardio Tues and Thursday and Core Work on Sundays. With a history of knee problems, do you suggest doing full body workouts instead of breaking it up as I have? I have tried to stick with the machines for legs - leg press, abductor/adductor, leg curls, and calf raises. Thanks for your advice!

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How long have you been lifting for?

Are you looking for more strength or more 'definition'?
  • JamieA8
    Options
    I have been lifting since April, but that was once or twice a week and not really following any plan. I became more focused in early January and am looking to get some definition. Strength would be an added bonus.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Thanks - have you been told to avoid squats and/or do you get twinges when you do them?
  • JamieA8
    Options
    I had my ACL replaced and cartiledge sutured in my left knee and get bursitis in my right knee for over compensating for the weakness in my left knee. I thought if I tried putting equal pressure on both sides I could get by with it. I hired a personal trainer at the gym and he had me doing squats and lunges. He said my form was perfect but my knees would still kill me later.

In addition, I love to run. My knees will hold up for about a mile if I do squats and lunges but will hold up for 4 miles if I do not. My logic may be off as I am looking to educate myself more on this, but I am trying to avoid the pain of my knee locking up from the squats and lunges by simply avoiding them. This morning I tried doing static lunges thinking that it would be easier on the knees, but after 5, my knee felt like someone was stabbing me. I stopped immediately to avoid any type of injury.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Do leg presses and leg extensions aggravate it?
  • JamieA8
    Options
    Leg presses do not bother me as long as I keep the weight around 50lbs, but my doctor told me to stay away from leg extensions.