Tired with low carb/high fat?

Options
Does it take awhile to get energy from high fat and low carbs?? Or am i just someone that needs a lot of carbs... ?

Replies

• Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Does it take awhile to get energy from high fat and low carbs?? Or am i just someone that needs a lot of carbs... ?

It took me about 10 days or so for my body to adjust,to eating low car/high fat.

How long have you been eating LCHF?
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options

It took me about 10 days or so for my body to adjust,to eating low car/high fat.

How long have you been eating LCHF?

I have been doing it for the whole month of Feb.... Could my fats% be too low?? its 45%. Carbs was 20 but i recently bumped it up to 25% to see if it would help with energy.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Instead of upping your carbs, try to up your fats. I'm at 15% carbs (50g carbs, 25g sugar), 25% protein, 60% fats (which I get from nuts, avocados, coconut oil, etc.)
  • primalfare
    Options
    I agree. Your fat is already pretty low. These are my daily goals. I feel optimal when fats are 60%-75% daily calories from fats.

These are my daily goals:
    2,000 calories/day
    Carbs / Day 50 g (10%)
    Protein / Day 75 g (15%)
    Fat / Day 167 g (75%)
  • msandwich
    Options
    Make sure calories are high enough and getting enough fat. If you're just starting it might take 1-2 weeks to fully adjust
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    What is the level of your activity?I notice you mention strength training.If you are doing loads of training you may need to up your carbs to refuel your muscles.It's best to choose sweet potatoes and other dense carb options from veggies.
    Also,make sure you are getting enough protein.
    I don't think fat needs to be higher than 60% but you need to play around with your macros and find your sweet spot.It takes time to figure out where you feel best.
  • Shyloh1
    Options
    I agree with the others,you may have to increase your fat intake...

My macros are set at 55/25/20-F/P/C,sometimes I get closer to 60% fat.

Try it and see how you feel....
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    In addition to changing your macros and making sure you're taking in enough calories, make sure you're also eating a nice variety of veggies and healthy fats. Are you sleeping OK? How about stress--stressed out for any reason? How about caffeine or other stimulants? Did you recently stop drinking coffee or anything like that? Conversely, do you drink a lot of coffee? Sugar is another thing to look at in a similar way. What's your exercise routine like? This is all stuff to think about.

I lift heavy and train with kettlebells on alternate days. I walk everywhere. I'm female, 41, nearly 42 years old. I don't have energy issues at the present. I did have energy issues the first week of low carb paleo/primal as my body adjusted and detoxed from all the crap I was eating before. The other time I had energy issues was the first month I was lifting. I simply wasn't eating enough to support that activity. I upped my calories by 200-400, added a sweet potato to my dinner a couple times a week, and was back in the game.

My macros are 60f/25p/15c and I eat between 1800-2000 calories a day. I try to get a variety of veggies and different sorts of foods in general.
  • Shyloh1
    Options
    In addition to changing your macros and making sure you're taking in enough calories, make sure you're also eating a nice variety of veggies and healthy fats. Are you sleeping OK? How about stress--stressed out for any reason? How about caffeine or other stimulants? Did you recently stop drinking coffee or anything like that? Conversely, do you drink a lot of coffee? Sugar is another thing to look at in a similar way. What's your exercise routine like? This is all stuff to think about.

I lift heavy and train with kettlebells on alternate days. I walk everywhere. I'm female, 41, nearly 42 years old. I don't have energy issues at the present. I did have energy issues the first week of low carb paleo/primal as my body adjusted and detoxed from all the crap I was eating before. The other time I had energy issues was the first month I was lifting. I simply wasn't eating enough to support that activity. I upped my calories by 200-400, added a sweet potato to my dinner a couple times a week, and was back in the game.

My macros are 60f/25p/15c and I eat between 1800-2000 calories a day. I try to get a variety of veggies and different sorts of foods in general.

I second,making sure you get enough calories.

I'm 45 and eat anywhere from 1800-2000 calories/day.

I lift weights 3 days a week
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I have depression and anxiety which i can blame some of my exhaustion on, but lately it has just been sooooo bad. Usually i dont get very good sleep either.... I will up my fat intake and give it a few weeks.... if that doesnt work then i guess i just need carbs!

Also, i strength train 3 times per week and do cardio and other things probably about 2-3 times a week.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

Paleo and Primal are not necessarily low carb, especially (and I use that word loosely; I believe EVERYONE can enjoy carbs) someone who is strength training.

Don't ditch carbs completely, or judge things off macros. Just get your proteins, fats and carbs off whole foods, and you should be fine.