What do you find the best exercises for Fibro?

Options
I have Fibro and am wondering what are some good low impact workouts? Also does working out help your pain or make it worse?

Replies

• CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Can you try swimming? Swimming is often a good workout with low pain and easy on the joints. I do not have Fibro, but have been told that light movement is best for the body--prevents stiffness and increases blood flow.
  • iamthecatsass
    Options
    It's a real challenge isn't it?
    I have done some weight work over the years but always end up suffering for it. That is if I don't pace myself. It's one of the pitfalls of this disorder. We tend to feel good and over do it. I have a great yoga for bad backs DVD by Peggy Cappy. I always find those exercises stimulating. Any gentle yoga will be good but don't go beyond your limit. Listen to your body.
    CottonCandy is right about the swimming. It feels like you aren't accomplishing anything but it really does help a lot.
  • swfloridagal
    Options
    I got a few different DVD"s and depending on how I feel that day, I pop in the one that corresponds.

I just got a new one called "Easy Yoga for Easing Pain". When I first played it I thought OMG ths is going to be too easy! But guess what? I was in pain when I did it and as it progressed, so did my pain. I only did what I could do and the narrator/instructor encourages you to just do what you can. It did help to loosen me up and feel much better. Pain level might have been the same but overall I felt better for having put forth effort and stretched which always feels good.

I have DVDs for days I feel real good and in between and bad days. I also swim and use the water for resistance which works out really well if the water is really warm. If the water is cold, forget it!

I also joined MFP so I can be connected with others who are in pain and still want to take GOOD care of themselves. It helps so much to have others with pain to talk to and be motivated with to eat right! :smile:
  • fataalic
    fataalic Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Walking is the best exercise and you will have the least amount of pain if you keep doing it. I, too, have pains after exercise and no matter what I do I always end up in pain after exercising.
    Walking does not seem to bother me that much. :)
  • mschelle
    mschelle Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have found that almost any non-plyometric-based workout DVD will do. It will be tough at first, but modify and do what you can. Can't do the whole video? Do 10 minutes of it, aim for 15 next time. Can't do a move? Modify it to something you can do (step-outs instead of jumping jacks, for example).

I've also found that if I'm sore after a workout the next day I *have to* work out to make the soreness go away faster.
    The more days I move, the better I feel. Consistency is key.

Stationary bike with no resistenance/incline is great, too, if you have access to one.
  • starbuckette
    starbuckette Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Swimming has been the answer for me. I started off just swimming 2 lengths (50m) breast stroke - I would be out of breath and would have a flare up afterwards. I kept it up, letting my body rest for one day and swimming the next. I started almost a year ago, and can now swim 5k (200 laps) of freestyle, only stopping to get a drink of water when I need it.

I continue to swim 10 - 15K a week and my fibro symptoms have been unbelievably under control. I went on vacation in Dec and was out of the pool for over three weeks, and the fibro pain snuck back. I am now in the pool again and am confident that the pain will once again be under control.
  • arpcath
    Options
    I too have fibromyalgia, but I'm very lucky because I can do resistance training and cardio. I have been told by doctors that swimming and gentle water aerobics are the best exercises for those starting to exercise. So you might want to find a pool facility with trained pool exercise instructors and talk to them about your fibro before you join or jump in the pool. If they don't seem to know anything about fibro, find another pool! I also found 2 myfitnesspal groups that are us fibros. Check them out...I'm sure you can get more help from them.

I was also told by the Rheumatologist that diagnosed my condition that exercising is like walking a tightrope between a pit of alligators on one side and the grand canyon on the other. If you don't exercise enough you fall, and, if you exercise too much, you fall...it can be very difficult to find a happy medium, but it can be done. You just have to keep your eye on the goal of getting stronger. Hope this helps!
  • lhulewsky
    Options
    I stumbled onto Qi Gong and find it very helpful if I do it consistenly. I also walk which is hard since i have chronic foot pain but doing nothing makes my pain worse.
  • insearchofbees
    Options
    I have had the best luck with yoga and walking. Some days are better than others, of course. :) I tend to walk on days I feel stronger and stick with yoga when I am having issues with pain. Tai Chi has been helpful on especially painful days.
  • mschelle
    mschelle Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Oh and STRETCHING! Stretch stretch stretch! Before bed every night, in the morning when you get up, and during the day if you can. I got a good stretch strap when I started physical therapy and it has changed the way I feel every day. If I don't do it, I can tell.
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I got the easy yoga CD swfloridagal recommended. Boy do I have a long way to go, even the sitting sessions had me in tears. General stretches I can do most of the time (If I can keep my balance on numb feet). I've had a bad pain week, lots of 8-10 days. Gotta keep trying!
  • jacie87
    jacie87 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've got to say, find something you can get excited about and enjoy! Of course, there are the standards many talk about such as yoga, swimming, or low impact aerobics. But, if you don't enjoy them, you won't be as motivated to do them. If there is something else that your body can handle that you really enjoy, go for it in moderation. :)

The major point is that you need to be active when you can! Exercise is one of the best things you can do for your body. Besides mood boosting chemicals you get from working out, you get the added benefits of healthier muscles, more flexibility, and decreased symptoms.

Happy exercising! <3
  • queueplay
    Options
    I've found that whatever exercise I do, if it's not in a therapy-temperature pool, I'm almost immobile for 1-3 days. Therapy temp seems to be aimed at arthritis; it's warmer than a heated swimming pool and not as hot as a jacuzzi-hot tub. The physical therapy place I go to keeps theirs at 92-94 degrees Fahrenheit.

When I go there, I can walk for an hour constantly without a problem in the pool - I keep walking while doing other exercises, I walk to warm up in the pool, when I feel good I walk against very light current. I'll feel tired after and for a day or so but have energy again before the next visit. My attempts at 'land' pt always have me aching no matter how lightly I take it.
  • Beckycm1971
    Beckycm1971 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel like I'm going to hurt anyways so ill just do what I want to do. I think maybe I just need to take things at a slower pace then most people.
  • fitgirl4x48
    fitgirl4x48 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I found that doing Yoga worked best to get me moving. Increased my breathing and was overall good. I tried swimming and aquasize but I really hurt after that. Walking is good and I also like a bit of Biggest Loser basic aerobics minus the impact. They have 10min segments so you don't have to do it long. Also just sitting on a bike and pedaling at your own pace - that works for me too.
  • Beckycm1971
    Beckycm1971 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I swam for a few weeks this last summer and my feet would cramp up real bad and was difficult on my neck and shoulder. Very frustrating!
    I found that doing Yoga worked best to get me moving. Increased my breathing and was overall good. I tried swimming and aquasize but I really hurt after that. Walking is good and I also like a bit of Biggest Loser basic aerobics minus the impact. They have 10min segments so you don't have to do it long. Also just sitting on a bike and pedaling at your own pace - that works for me too.
  • EdwardBarrera
    Options
    I lived with 17 years of fibromyalgia and exercised like many of you. No matter which exercise - the pains were present and the crashes inevitable.

Now 15 pain free years, I don't exercise. Instead I do physical activities I enjoy such as playing soccer, skiing, walking with the dogs, and riding a bike...

In my 32 year journey of being in pain, exercising, learning how to resolve it by un-exercise and now teaching people how to successfully master and overcome physical pain and muscular stress & tension... so you can do ultimately do what you want with your body.

Many people are exercising and don't realize how certain exercises and methods take us further into our compensations - such as an elevated shoulder or rotated hip or extended spine. Many exercises work at the sub-cortical areas of the brain where learned movement is handled. In this area, muscular stress or tension cannot be released by most exercise methods

What this means is, you can exercise all you want yet the stress and high tension levels in the muscles do not leave or dissipate merely 'cause you're working out or working harder.

Mri's and x-rays cannot see when nerves are trapped in the fascia. The fascia is what houses the muscles. There are more sense receptors in the fascia than in the muscles. When we move, we move along certain coordination patterns or chains or sequences of movement. We're one piece and we can affect the 17 layers of muscles we live with and the fascia which connects it all as an entire movement system.

It's not a mystery when I used to crash and would continue since my tension levels were high. Many "normal" people who workout are still living in pain and cannot resolve it.

Our learned habits, compensations and substitution patterns more likely undermine our best efforts.

So if there is a best exercise, there are things we can do to set up our ability to exercise and move comfortably.

First, walking is considered the best exercise which is preposterous. We are a two-legged animal and this is what we're here to do. I know how it was when I used to walk a mere 25 ft, and my body would flare-up in pain... I get that. I used to think everyone else was crazy for thinking walking was an answer.

I used to stretch for up to 2 hours per day - traditional stretching, contract-relax, therabands, pnf (pro-prioceptive neuromuscular faciliation) since I was told I better keep my flexibility. Even though I practiced yoga, my knees still remained up to the ceiling sitting crossed-legged and my downward dog wasn't wagging its tail.

What I didn't know then, I now know and many, many, many others have realized. Stretching in the way most of were taught actually gets the muscles to be tighter. Why? http://gravitywerks.com/about/free-somatics-exercise/stretching-is-out/

I'm just the messenger... and a divorce counselor for stretching on the side. ; ) There is ample evidence to go about maintaining length in our muscles in another way.

Animals with a spine, naturally NEVER stretch. That's right, Fido contracts his muscles rather than stretching. When your pet cat rounds its back, it isn't focusing on the length of the back, it is pulling its belly in to contract those muscles. This sets up act 1 of what is called a pandiculation.

Animals and babies in the womb contract along a series or chain of muscles. That morning stretch you do in bed... check that the next time you do it. Feel instead what you are contracting. Again, this is act 1 of a pandiculation.

Act 2 happens when we let go of the movement we attempted. If done slowly with awareness, you can feel what muscles are letting go and which ones are self-correcting. Those that self-correct are the ones which either hesitate, misfire or have a jerky quality. When this happens, you are directly working in the cortex rather than in the sub-cortical area of the brain.

We've learned that the cortex can reset muscular tension through some feedback loops: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4A8OjeOfQo

The 3rd act of a pandiculation is when we stop, pause or rest so the brain can release chemicals of relaxation... and now you know what Fido has been doing all along.

Healthy animals aren't going to a fancy gym, training by running, lifting weights and doing all the human things we "think" we need to do to stay healthy. They merely pandiculate some 7 - 10 times in the morning and 40 - 50 throughout the course of a day.

When we follow their lead and remember to do what we did as small children, we are in effect self-correcting and re-programming our movement software via the brain's natural ability to do so. It's like un-exercise if you will.

We're setting up the building blocks to successful movement, thus once our nervous system has been re-awakened, the muscles remember their function so we can successfully exercise and as a bonus master the signal of pain and discomfort.

If the exercise you do is setting you back, you can get back on track by changing tension levels so the muscles behave more functionally and the compensations we've adapted to... begin to let go and we return to our former happy self.

Then comfortably exercise all you want if this is what you want to do... me I'm going to move like an animal and be free of pain and discomfort. Woof, woof, meow.
  • swfloridagal
    Options
    Hey Becky.... I totally can relate to your saying your going to hurt anyway, so what is the difference if you exercise and hurt cause your gonna hurt even if you don't exercise. I'm with you on that one. Chonic pain is something I have learned to accept. It is as much a part of me as breathing. The trick is to learn how to live with it rather than how to get rid of it. I've tried everything I can think of and paid more holistic practitioners and spiritual guides and movement masters than I can to remember while looking for the magic pill. I have come to accept that there is no such thing. There is no ONE right way for everybody so we just do the best we can with what we have.

I feel great that even though I have Fibro, Lupus, Periphial Neuropathy and Chronic pain from a head on collision, I'm here to tell about it and have found a way to gracefully accept it. The fact that I'm eating well is a fantastic accomplishment. Chronic pain and chronic illness is isolating because we can no longer be spontaneous and social like we used to be. At some point the cards and flowers that read "Get Well Soon" stop coming and people stop coming with covered dishes. In my case, I had to give up my career, hobbies I enjoyed and rediscover who I am.without those things that defined me.

The fact that I'm eating well, sharing and helping others on MFP, and trying different exercises is awesome. I feel real good about my accomplishments so far and am careful not to be down when I choose the sofa over yoga. Sometimes that is what I need.... plenty of rest. Allowing myself the rest when I need it and not try to do something that will hurt me when I'm in a flare is the key. A slow walk has to be good enough sometimes. Nothing but rest has to be good enough sometimes. As long as I'm doing the best I can I'm doing great.
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I walk almost every day with my dogs and it feels good when I'm able to manage it. I also climb the stairs at work instead of using the elevator so I get that too. On my best days, I just do all the physical activities I want to do (clean house, dance, play with my grandchildren, etc) and those are great if I don't do so much that I have payback later. I really appreciate what swfloridagal said about the importance of rest and rediscovering who we are as people without external things defining us. Thanks!

I plan to check out the links EduardoBarrer suggests as his explanation makes sense to me. And anyone who has lived with Fibro that long and become pain free has something worth learning from.
  • raetonycass
    raetonycass Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have found that using a stability ball works great. It helps strengthen the areas that hurt, like my back, hips, knees and arms. It is low impact but can be made more challenging with the use of exercise bands on days I can tolerate more.