Does Coconut oil help with Hypothyroidism?

Options
aud085
aud085 Posts: 23 Member
I was just looking for some advice on how much you take, when you take it and wether or not it really effected the thyroid, meaning did you dosage of medicine change. Or did you lose weight using it, or any other benefits?

thanks

Replies

• debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hi Aud,
    I had the same questions months ago. I found it recommended to take 1 TBS per 50 lbs of body wt. I took that to mean for "goal wt" but it probably means present wt. It really helped me get the last 13 lbs. off. I had stalled. I feel a good "pick-me-up" when I eat it... I mean immediately after I eat it. I have it for breakfast in my oatmeal (1 TBS). And again at 3 pm mixed with my oatbran & coconut milk, for a snack. Some people can actually drink it in coffee, but I can not even bear the thought of that. When I first tasted it, it was so rich it upset my stomach, so I have to mix it with other things. Probably because I hadn't eaten any "fat" for years.
    As for lowering meds... I don't know that, as I'm still getting mine regulated. Only been hypo since April or May & started eating CO very soon after starting meds, looking for a cure. :wink:
    Hope this helps.
  • marykpfist
    marykpfist Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I've never even heard of this. Would someone mind giving me the gist?
  • SlwNStdy
    Options
    I am curious about this too my weight has been stuck for like a year now. I have about 60 pounds I think I need to lose but deffinatly want to!!!!
  • debbylee22
    Options
    Hi girls,
    There is an information link at the top of the group page... here's the thread
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/775020-virgin-coconut-oil-links
    It has four links to information. Of course there's lots more then that, but these deal with hypothyroidism & wt. loss.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Be careful. Personally, when I added coconut oil to my diet it caused me to start gaining weight again. I took it out again and got me back on track. Everyone's different so you'll just have to try for yourself. You can usually find it at Trader Joe's, btw.
  • kizzes12
    kizzes12 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i live here in the philippines where coconut tree is everywhere hehe i take 2 tablespoon of vco a day it helps with body temp and for energy too like 30 minutes after taking it i ride my stationary bike and i can really feel the heat ..but my doc said its high on fat so iam a bit confused also on that part
  • debbylee22
    Options
    Yes, its good to read up on it, because you don't want to add coconut oil to a diet that is high in refined carbs. It goes well with low-carb, high protein.
    Good for you that it warms you up for your work-out. :happy:
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I just started taking it, so I don't know if it really works or not. I was introduced by a fellow hypo that seems to be having a great time with it with energy level and weight loss.
    One thing you have to remember is that if you add 3TBSP to your daily diet, you are adding almost 400 calories and a lot of fat to your diet.
    #1 introduce it slowly as it can be a shock to your system and can upset your system
    #2 replace calories with it, don't just add it-just because it's a "good fat", doesn't mean you can increase your fat and calorie intake and not gain

I'm putting it in my coffee with only 1tbsp of creamer instead of 4tbsp, and putting it on toast instead of butter or peanut butter so far. It tastes really good, but looks weird!
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I just started taking it, so I don't know if it really works or not. I was introduced by a fellow hypo that seems to be having a great time with it with energy level and weight loss.
    One thing you have to remember is that if you add 3TBSP to your daily diet, you are adding almost 400 calories and a lot of fat to your diet.
    #1 introduce it slowly as it can be a shock to your system and can upset your system
    #2 replace calories with it, don't just add it-just because it's a "good fat", doesn't mean you can increase your fat and calorie intake and not gain

I'm putting it in my coffee with only 1tbsp of creamer instead of 4tbsp, and putting it on toast instead of butter or peanut butter so far. It tastes really good, but looks weird!

Oh, and supposedly it is an anti inflammatory food. This is especially good for thyroid patients or other auto immune patients.
  • buildingdreams
    buildingdreams Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I added it to my regimen as of 1/26. I was taking 2 tablespoons a day, by 2/9 I had lost 2 lbs, which hadnt budged in month. I started to take 3 tablespoon as of then. I weigh in tomorrow. I have alot more energy. I replaced my butter with it and it am still within my total calories for the day. it is practically the only fat I do put in my body. I think i need to wait and see for atleast 6 weeks
  • charleschip
    charleschip Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Interesting stuff! Ya'll may find some of this information interesting too: http://products.mercola.com/coconut-oil/

Not to side track the thread....I like the So Delicious coconut milk ice cream too. In small quantities though! LOL!
  • aud085
    aud085 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the Info
  • BeachDreamin83
    Options
    My little update on Coconut Oil:

I started taking 1-2 tbsp/day a few weeks ago after my weight had not budged despite remaining within strict calorie count and fairly regular, intense exercise. I'm not sure if this can be solely attributed to the coconut oil, but I have lost some weight since that time (about 5 lbs).

I am replacing calories with coconut oil (not adding on top of my 1200 cal/day allotment). I seem to have plateaud this week, so I'm upping my c-oil intake to 2 tbsp/day to see if that helps. My diet is very low carb, high protein and high (good) fats. The coconut oil pushes my fat grams past my daily allowance, but I find the problem with myfitnesspal is that it cannot account for good fats vs. bad fats.

Anyone else have any updates to provide?