Hello all

Options
deftanker
deftanker Posts: 105 Member
I am on day 3 5lbs down so far and still want to eat everything that moves slower than me. I am really excited and I think it is going great so far. Waiting for the hunger pings to subside and the crappy dreams to go away.
Anyway, I am stopping in to say hi and the wife and I are looking forward to being a success story

Replies

• tgibbons1935
    tgibbons1935 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Medifast! My husband and I are doing the program as well and it makes it so much easier when you can support each other! The first week is the hardest but trust me it is worth it so hang in there! Feel free to add me and there are a lot of us on here that are on the program and we support each other all the way. Congrats on your first 5 pounds!
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the MF corner of MFP!

Five down! You're off to a great start! I had one day my first week that I was so hungry that I (at the advice of my health coach) went ahead and had a 6th MF meal. It really helped get me over the hump. The other things that helped were hot herbal tea, doing things that distracted me from being hungry, and chewing gum. It is definitely worth going through the transition to burning fat, so hang in there!

I think it's awesome that you're doing it with your wife. There are lots of benefits to doing it together that way.

Love the tiara BTW - it goes well with the rest of your outfit.
  • chellynn1983
    Options
    Great first few days!!!
  • lisa77marie
    lisa77marie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi, today is day 3 for me too! I'm totally loving it, my cravings are completely gone. I have no urge to snack at all. My hunger is very minimal, if I get any hunger pains at all. I can't wait to see what the scale reads next week!
  • deftanker
    deftanker Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Yesterday (day 3) was the worst so far. I feel super weak and a bit shaky but today I feel much better. I am worried about the weekend though. I am sure I can do it.

I really want to start working out but I am afraid to. When can I start that?
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Days 2 and 3 were my roughest, and day 4 wasn't easy, but on day 5, the fat-burning must have kicked in and I felt fine. My health coach told me that the MF people don't advise working out heavily in the first few weeks while your body is adjusting, although she said walking was okay. I didn't do it because we had a terrible cold-snap and snow at the time, along with an inversion that had raised the air pollution here to unsafe levels.

Hang in there - you'll turn the corner!
  • dugrn
    dugrn Posts: 47
    Options
    I believe the recommended start date for LIGHT working out is 3 weeks. I advise reading this...

http://www.medifastmedia.com/med/docs/exercise_guide.pdf

After you have read the above, if you have more questions I recommend contact the "exercise and training assistance" forum on the main MF site. They give pretty solid advice (as it pertains to the 5-1).

I found this about exercise and starting MF 5-1. hope it helps!

Hello,

My name is Meredith and I am a Certified Personal Trainer with Nutrition Support.

While on the Medifast 5 & 1 Plan, it is recommended to keep exercise under a maximum of 45 minutes of moderately intense activity per day. Any more than this may place an individual into conservation/starvation mode where the body would actually store the fat instead of burning it. Conservation/starvation mode also may cause an individual to become very lightheaded, tired, hungry, irritable, or experience a weight loss plateau or gain. Keep in mind that the 5 & 1 Plan is effective because it is a calorie-controlled, carbohydrate-controlled diet, enabling the body to enter into ketosis or fat burning. Exercise needs to be adjusted to keep this calorie/carbohydrate total consistent.

While exercising on our Plans, it is important to pay close attention to how your body feels. You may begin on the 5 & 1 Plan, but if you are beginning to feel the aforementioned symptoms, you may switch to a 4 & 2/scale back your activity. A 4 & 2 Plan is our modified fat burning plan which is most appropriate for individuals that are increasingly active and/or closer to their healthy BMI range. Remember that the 4 & 2 Plan still does not support unlimited exercise so be on the lookout for the same symptoms of conservation/starvation mode. If you feel energized and fine, they may continue with your current routine.

An option for some individuals looking to incorporate increased activity would be to follow a Maintenance plan with a deficit. This is accomplished by calculating the individual’s TEE (Total Energy Expenditure as outlined in the attached Maintenance Guide), subtract 500 calories, and begin to follow a Maintenance Plan with a deficit. This offers slower, steady weight loss, however your activity will be best supported.

As the body values/thrives under consistency, an individual should not go back and forth between plans. Rather they should stick with their modified maintenance plan for all days of the week as the body needs as many calories on days of exertion as days of recovery.

One you reach your weight loss goal, it is important to go through the Transition process and further adhere to your Maintenance calorie total. This way, your body will be properly fueled/healthy and you can begin to maintain your healthy weight.

I hope this information is helpful – please don’t hesitate to contact Nutrition Support with any further questions.

Meredith, MS, CPT
  • medifaster
    Options
    Hi, there! Welcome to MF!