Sugar cravings

Options
So today I planned badly and went shopping without eating enough. The result was a blood sugar dip and a craving for chocolate! I'm normally ok if I have a protein bar to hand, but I'd love to know how other people deal with diet emergencies like this?

Replies

• Sarah_Alexa
    Sarah_Alexa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I managed to snap out of snacking on chocolates and sweets during work hours (cant say the same for evenings right now!) a long time ago and dont want to return to such bad habits. Recently i started keeping tiny tupperware pots in my handbag with almonds and hazelnuts in (you only need 5 of each nut). They're the healthier nuts you can have with omega 3 and 6. Peanuts have 26 mycotoxin-producing fungi, as do cashew nuts so they've now made it onto my 'Avoid' list.

Reasons to eat almonds:

* they provide tons of magnesium, and more calcium than an equal amount of milk!

*They are filled with vitamin E, potassium, folic acid, some selenium (helps keep your cells healthy) and fiber.

*Almonds also contain a natural aspirin so have been shown to lower bad cholesterol, reduce your risk of heart disease, lessen post-meal blood sugar surges (important for diabetics), and protect against colon cancer.

If i forget healthy snacks I drink tonnes more water to fill my tummy and keep it occupied until i can get something healthy, which i try to make a priority rather than grabbing the nearest foodstuff.
  • Joannavictoriaashley
    Options
    Almonds seem to include all the minerals and vits that I need to top up on!
    My worse times are the evenings, where I truly crave something sweet. I need something before bed to help me sleep, so I'll probably have a fruit protein smoothie.
  • Sarah_Alexa
    Options
    As part of the smoothie challenge the group said peeling, slicing and freezing bananas up is a great way to keep them fresh, have a ready supply, break down the starches within banana and give a great consistency to a fruit smoothie. I chopped up 6 bananas earlier and laid them out in a tray. Will try some in the morning and let you know how they taste. :)
  • mmolenda06
    mmolenda06 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I also have intense sugar cravings in the evening (what's up with that!?) and sometimes around lunch time. It is very difficult for me to stop these cravings but I am getting better slowly.
  • Joannavictoriaashley
    Options
    Do you have any particular coping mechanisms for dealing with your cravings? Mine are the worst in the evenings too, I think when I get tired and settle down to watch a bit of tv. A comfort thing I guess. The only thing that has ever worked for me, is to keep my blood sugar stabilised. It's hard though when you NEED chocolate! :sad:
  • Joannavictoriaashley
    Options
    As part of the smoothie challenge the group said peeling, slicing and freezing bananas up is a great way to keep them fresh, have a ready supply, break down the starches within banana and give a great consistency to a fruit smoothie. I chopped up 6 bananas earlier and laid them out in a tray. Will try some in the morning and let you know how they taste. :)

Can you cover these in chocolate before you bring them around? :wink:
  • bobble1313
    Options
    Try a pickled onion. I know they aren't sweet but the taste is so strong and really doesn't mix with 'sweet' so it works for me.... And I love chocolate!
  • Joannavictoriaashley
    Options
    I do love pickled onions, but haven't had them in a while...might try it (don't think hubby will be pleased though) :laugh:
  • Sarah_Alexa
    Options
    The frozen banana slices were a major success this evening! I took them out of the freezer and allowed them to defrost just a little bit. They had the texture and taste of banana ice cream without the added sugar, cream and preservatives! Just found my post-meal sweet treat if i ever need a fix whilst cosying up on the sofa.

Banana's:
    * contain a lot of potassium, which can hep increase focus and concentration
    * contain a particular type of fibre that can help restore normal bowel function
    * are a good source of iron and can prevent anaemia
    * can protect the eyes from age related macular degeneration
    * they can help to soothe an upset digestive tract
    * they are an easily digestible source of energy
    * in frozen form your body uses more calories to warm them up to digest
    * freezing them breaks down the harder-to-digest starches contained within, which helps the body to process them more efficiently. So peel, slice and freeze!

And from a financial point of view, banana's never go ripe or get wasted whilst they sit in the freezer so i save money. Win win situation. :) xx
  • sunforme3
    sunforme3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The night time sweet cravings are the worst for me, I usually tried a cup of tea and a chocolate rice cake but didn't find any relief. Luckily the other day I was at the gym when one of the trainers brought in these fabulous "cookies", they are made very simply, just two bananas mashed with one cup of uncooked oatmeal, about 6 chopped up almonds and a few mini chocolate chips sprinkled in, all mashed together and baked at 350 degrees for 15 mins, they yield about 10 nice sized cookies at around 45 cals a piece, they are delicious and very satisfying. I have two with a cup of herbal cinnamon tea and I no longer suffer the cravings that I've suffered for years.

I'm definitely going to try the frozen sliced bananas too, sounds yummy!!
  • Sarah_Alexa
    Options
    Ooooh, those cookies sound fantastic! Will definitely be giving them a go. Thanks for sharing! :smile:
  • Joannavictoriaashley
    Joannavictoriaashley Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Love the sound of those cookies! I'll be making some tonight. :)