Cutting when I love eating so many cals per day!! HELP! :)

Options
nellyett
nellyett Posts: 436 Member
LOL....well, for a bit of background...I had started with the 1200 cals per day like most everyone else, lost 7 lbs pretty quickly and plateaued for months!

Found this group, re-did my numbers, upped my daily calories, and had steady success for months and up until a month and a half ago, was at my lowest weight in years! I was exercising like a champ too :)

What's changed? Well, I had quit smoking cold turkey 6 weeks ago. :) Yay me!! I feel I have conquered that addiction, but in the process, have become totally derailed with my workouts and they are very inconsistent. I have also been eating about 2500-3000 cals per day! yikes! I feel that I had substituted my nicotine cravings with sugar cravings. I am eating healthy meals as well, but lots and lots of sugar! :(

I am slowly but surely getting my workouts back up to the intensity and frequency that they once were, and am trying to gain control of my diet now. I've been viewing this time period as a bit of a rest / reset / break, but now it's time to get my *kitten* back on track!!

I've seen a couple of posts here and there where people are having a hard time cutting their cals after a reset....I seem to be having a heck of a time!! My goal right now is to at least keep it under or around 2000. how ridiculous is that/???? LOL Seems hilarious to me!

I know what I should be eating and the low cal options, etc. etc. What I'm hoping for are tricks that have worked for you....do you have a mantra? Pre-log your days? Go to snacks? Sheesh, I don't know. What do you eliminate after a reset? I know some of you do resets every few weeks....also, I think one of the biggest factors is that I am at a desk job all day and now that I'm not going outside for breaks, I seem to be snacking all the time!! What do you do to keep from snacking at work?

Thanks so much in advance!

Replies

• nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing up my reset and starting my first cut Friday, so I'm hoping for some good answers too!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Not allowing yourself to snack may be making it more difficult. I have to eat regularly, especially when at my desk at work when boredom makes me hungrier. Instead I make sure I have protein filled snacks available to prevent me snacking on biscuits and cakes etc that are usually lying around the office.

I keep in my draw:

Protein bars
    Pumpkin seeds
    Toasted soya beans
    Nuts
    Protein powder
    Greek yoghurt (in the fridge, not my drawer!)

A small serving of these things will happily keep me going until my next meal.
  • nellyett
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! Actually, your desk drawer looks like mine! LOL

My problem is that it seems to be non-stop snacking lately....!! :)
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    It's hard cutting after reset. Try instead of a 500 calorie deficit, a 300 calorie deficit. I tend to add in more salad with lots of protein because it is filling without as many cals. Honestly, I don't cut too steep so the slightly lower calories don't hurt too bad...just a wee bit...lol.
  • nellyett
    Options
    I never thought of it that way....I'm an all or nothing kinda girl. Maybe aim for 2200 this week and 2000 next week.

I still shake my head and laugh at that! I LOVE that I've found this lifestyle, and thank you Lucia for your dedication on getting the word out and saving so many women like myself who thought they'd have to starve to see the results they want!
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    So, I feel like I'm missing some information!

Are you trying to lose more? It looks from your ticker and what you said in your post, AND from your photos that you're either at or close to your goal weight—is that right? If so, why the cut?

You said you're eating 2500-3000 cals a day lately—is that your TDEE? What is your TDEE? Have you recalculated to factor in lost weight and changing activity levels?

Have you gained or stayed the same eating that much?

Because here's what I think. If you haven't gained eating that much, and you're close to or at your goal weight, and 2500 is close to or is your TDEE.....

... then you probably don't need to cut! In fact, if you feel like you have some work to do physically, you might just need to do a body recomp (this is the advice I keep getting lately, cause I'm right there with you with hating the cut!!).

Eat your TDEE, start doing some strength training if you're not already. :)

If you have gained a little, and if 2500 is over your TDEE, then yes, cut back to your TDEE. :)
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    If I eat 2000kcal for a few days, I then eat 2700+ one day because I get tired of hunger. If I eat 2400kcal a day I don't need high days and lose weight slowly but happily :bigsmile:
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing up my reset and starting my first cut Friday, so I'm hoping for some good answers too!

Me too! I am glad I read this thread :)
    I figure a can cut the same way I was at 1300, which first of all means eliminating my 300 calorie chia seed pudding I was adding to eat at TDEE, and then maybe one of my extra servings of carbs.
    Good luck!
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I prelog my food and bring everything I am eating that day to work...that way I have total control over my caloric intake at work. And I seem to pack enough food to keep my metabolism going throughout the day and if I`m hungry...well, I`m outta luck. Gotta wait until I get home to make dinner (which I`ve also preplanned)...

Fail to plan, plan to fail...

CONGRATS on quitting smoking! you should be very proud of yourself!!!!
  • nellyett
    Options
    thanks for the advice everyone!! it's all very helpful :)

going to back to Sarah, I haven't changed my ticker but I've gained 10 lbs in the last 5 weeks. based on the numbers, I'd say about 6of that is actual weight gain....and 3% bodyfat :(

I had thought that my TDEE was around 2100-2300 per day but I'm actually thinking it might be a bit higher based on the last few weeks. perhaps the good thing that's come out of this (aside from quitting smoking) is that I may have set my metabolism even higher!! fingers crossed!! that would totally be worth the weight gain in the long run!! :):):)
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    It's hard cutting after reset. Try instead of a 500 calorie deficit, a 300 calorie deficit. I tend to add in more salad with lots of protein because it is filling without as many cals. Honestly, I don't cut too steep so the slightly lower calories don't hurt too bad...just a wee bit...lol.

YES! I had to work my way down after reset. The first few weeks after reset, I thought I'd NEVER be able to get back down to cut, but after awhile of easing my way down I felt pretty satisfied at cut!
  • nellyett
    Options

YES! I had to work my way down after reset. The first few weeks after reset, I thought I'd NEVER be able to get back down to cut, but after awhile of easing my way down I felt pretty satisfied at cut!

Great to know! Easing my way down starting today! :)
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice everyone!! it's all very helpful :)

going to back to Sarah, I haven't changed my ticker but I've gained 10 lbs in the last 5 weeks. based on the numbers, I'd say about 6of that is actual weight gain....and 3% bodyfat :(

I had thought that my TDEE was around 2100-2300 per day but I'm actually thinking it might be a bit higher based on the last few weeks. perhaps the good thing that's come out of this (aside from quitting smoking) is that I may have set my metabolism even higher!! fingers crossed!! that would totally be worth the weight gain in the long run!! :):):)

Oh, I see. Okay, well, in that case, sounds like you're on the right track, and I agree a smaller deficit will be more sustainable! :) Good luck!