Day 1

Options
Well, here I am, starting yet another journey down the fitness path. I was diagnosed with fibro about two years ago, but looking back, I have had it for all but eight years of my life. The pain and depression, and all of the other things that go along with fibro were all"normal" for me. This last flare up sent me to the doctor, who sent me to a cardiologist. I ended up have angioplasty and a stent placed ina coronary artery that was 90% blocked!! That was scary, and I feel like I have been given a gift of a longer life. I don't want to take the gift of extra time for granted. I want to get back into shape so that I can have a long life with my new husband.

The fatigue that I was experiencing, along with pain and depression has lead to a 43 pound weight gain in the past two year. I was already about 32 pounds overweight, so now I am carrying around 75+ pounds more than I should be. After speaking with a friend who has lost 98 pounds and who uses myfitnesspal, I have decided to give it a go!

I know that it is going to be a challenge to exercise the way I need to with fibro, but I am determined to find something that I can do. I will work hard when I feel good, and do something gentle when I feel bad. Knowing that there are others out there with the same issues is helpful. It makes it easier knowing I am not alone.

Thank you all in advance for your support and understanding. I also apologize in advance for any whiny posts that I may make!

Replies

• islandgirldl76
    islandgirldl76 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Good for you baby steps. Listen to your body. Welcome aboard!
  • jacie87
    jacie87 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    When fibro started taking over my life last year, I thought I'd never be able to lose more weight/exercise again. WRONG! By getting the depression and insomnia under control, I'm at my lowest weight ever!

Fibro is tough, but YOU ARE TOUGHER! <3

Keep plugging away. Rest on the bad days. Take advantage of and savor the good days. You can do it. :)
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    until about 3 years ago i was taking all the drugs and following all the instructions from my mds, but for one: i wasn't exercizing. i was in terrible shape, with severe pain all the time, wanting to kill myself. tried it, actually.

then some things changed: i stopped taking all the medications (0 pills for me these days) AND started exercizing. now i'm up to ~1 mi / day, 5-6 x / wk. i've never slept better. i've never been healthier. i've never looked better or felt better. my pain is managable. my depression is managable. my legs are AWESOME.

i have to get 40 min of cardio every day (or nearly every day) or i don't feel my best. if i don't run a least a little bit every day, my legs start to hurt again. the fibro pain is completely different pain the soreness of running regularly. that feels nice and sweet compared to what i used to go through. i still get flares (especially when the weather changes) but as long as i keep my muscles strong and loose by using them daily, they are nowhere near as bad as they once were.

they (meaning EVERYONE) weren't kidding when they said i should exercize. it only took me 10 years and a serious deathwish to give it a try.

don't be like me.

:flowerforyou:
  • Jelaine56
    Jelaine56 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have been on mfp for about 310 days and I have lost 30 lbs so far.. I've had fibro for almost 35 yrs. It started out slowly and became worse about 10 yrs ago.. I finally just got tired of looking at myself in the mirror, and decided last February at the beginning of Lent to give up chocolate and sugary items.. Then in April I began walking on the treadmill and outside.. During this winter I am walking on my treadmill and using Leslie Sansone Dvd's to work out to.. I am just waiting for the snow to go away so I can begin to walk outside again.. No, I didn't always feel like exercising, but I did it anyway and I am so happy I did..