How to enter the exercise in my tracker

Hi All! I am doing insanity and am in week 7!! I have been told to do a 1200 calorie diet but I feel like it is not enough food for me with the workouts. I have no clue how to add the exercise portion in here...can anyone help?

Replies

• Good for you for sticking with it :)

I generally estimate based on another high intensity exercise, circuit training or aerobics are similiar. Then I add it in as a new exercise in my diary so it's there the next time. I tend to adjust it based on how hard I work though, so not every day of Max Cardio in my diary is the same. Also, 1200 kcals is super low...especially if you're doing Insanity! How do you even have energy to do power jumps?!?! I'm on the second week of the Max program and have lost almost 20 lbs so far. I eat ~1500-1700 kcals per day but I was eating a bit less during the first part of the program, ~1300-1400 kcals per day.

Another thing you can do is use the nutrition guide in Insanity to calculate your needs...this factors in the excercise so you wouldn't have to add it in everyday.
  • Dmeadows22
    Dmeadows22 Posts: 2 Member
    I agree about the caloric intake! I do my workout first thing in the morning and honestly I don't think I would have the energy to do it at the end of the day! I am hungry and snacking all day. I have only lost a couple pounds but I think the inches will be the real tell all next week. I will look into your suggestions, thank you for answering!
  • dsendre
    dsendre Posts: 173 Member
    I simply use this calculator to determine my calories burned by heart rate for all of my Insanity workouts: http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

Then I add the workout I did to MFP using the "My Exercises" function and enter the number of calories and length of my workout. This also helps me keep track of which Insanity routines I did on which day - they're all in my exercise diary.

Feel free to check my diary out. I've saved the Insanity workouts so that other MFP users can find them and use them as well - just search for "insanity". However, note that the ones I've entered are setup based on my height, weight and gender.

Right now, I only have Month 1 exercises in there but that changes after my Recovery Week next week!
  • jeolds
    jeolds Posts: 104 Member
    Honestly, the easiest way is to invest in a heart monitor. It will help on two fronts. First is tracking the calories you burn. Second it will tell you how you are doing fitness wise. I watch mine during the workouts and end up extending the breaks until my heart rate gets back down to the level it should be before starting the next circuit. You will notice that that time gets shorter as you get into better shape.

I use the iCardio app from Digifit, (uses a bluetooth HRM) which is finally synched to MFP and that works great because all I have to do now is edit the entries, synch the phone to the server and it shows up in MFP. Very easy. You also have a history of your workouts logged and how you are doing.

It is worth the investment. You can get an inexpensive one and it will do the same thing, but you will need to make manual entries.