When do you practice?

Options
SunshineT83
SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
Hi there everyone,
I love this group and wanted to just keep conversations going so, I was just wondering when everyone here actually manages to carve out time in their schedules for their practice? If you practice in the mornings how early to do practice? Are you one of the fortunate lovelies to have a lunchtime practice? Or do you muster up the energy in the evenings to end your day on your mat?

Because I work full-time outside of the home with short lunches so I tend to have only morning and evening time. If I practice in the mornings it has to before 6:00am. Usually around 5 or 5:30 and that's because I can rarely manage to pull myself out of bed before that. In the evenings it's so difficult to establish a solid routine schedule for myself because the kiddo and hubby both have such rigorous schedules that I have to adapt to that it could be as early as 5pm after work or as late as 8:30pm after getting the munchkin into bed. But lately I've have managed to touch my mat more often and I am so grateful for it, even if it is for only 20 minutes or for my preferred 1 hour session.

What does your yoga day look like?

Replies

• MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I attend classes a few evenings a week and on the weekends (when they're offered). On my own, I'll practice on the weekends, usually Sunday. I am looking to practice on my own more often.

I, too, work full time and usually stay put for lunch. My practice will likely remain in the evenings during the week as I am not a morning person. It's difficult to carve out an hour and a half to two hours to practice and stay focused the whole time but I'm working on it!

Also have been meditating (1-2x daily) to help with anxiety.
  • MagicFeather
    MagicFeather Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been practicing in the evenings. I have a four month old daughter and a 3 year old son so evenings work best after they're out for the night (or till the midnight feed as is the case for my daughter) and the house has been tidied up. If I get a late start, I only squeeze in 15 min but even that helps me get to bed with a clear head. I average closer to 45 min, maybe a little more.

I don't think I'll ever be a morning person so I don't see a morning practice happening.

I'm lucky enough to still be on maternity leave but plan on continuing my practice even after I get back to work. I do think about ways I could add more yoga into my day like on my lunch break. Maybe in the break room at lunchtime, why not? My co-workers already think I'm a bit of a freak for eating lots of vegetables and buying organic foods.

Yoga seems to be the one form of exercise that I don't have to psyche myself up for.
  • tatianna68
    tatianna68 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Currently I am injured so not doing much and miss it a lot, can't wait to get back to it. I usually do mine mid afternoon once my mind has woke up and I have taken care of feeding the Boyfriend lunch. I am not a morning person so afternoon or evening work best for me. I have a nice room set up just for my practice and my mat is always at the ready.
  • NathanKroptavich
    Options
    Early mornings, when nobody else in my house is up, is best for me.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    All different times. I teach twice a week at 10 am, so those days I usually practice in the mid afternoon. The classes I go to are either at noon or mid/late afternoon. The other days I go back and forth. If I'm tired or cold in the morning, I'll get on the treadmill, then do an early evening practice when I get home from work (part-time). I find I do my practice longer if I start in the morning, because I keep thinking of things I want to practice. So I'm really all over the map. My strongest practices start at 4:30pm, that's the time I have the most energy.
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Oh how I would LOVE to have my own little personal private space to practice at will. To have my mat laid out ready for me at all times. I aspire to have my own room in our next move.
    NathanKroptav practicing before the house begins to stir is my preference too. It allows me to focus, to listen to what my body is telling me and to actually feel the asana positions as I settle into them. My family has no real concept of "Leave Mommy Alone for 1 hour", even if I'm in a separate room :ohwell: :laugh:
  • AmyBoogie
    AmyBoogie Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Mornings are my favorite. If I had to pick a time it's 1030 am. I'm not sure why. It's usually an unattainable time that I only meet on non work days....so, once a week. But it's my favorite practice. The rest of the time it's before work. The studio I practice at only has even Ashtanga classes so when I can make a class it's evening.....still, that 1030 am is what I strive for :)
  • ntatbeeq
    ntatbeeq Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    i mostly practice in the evening around 7-8am as i am done with each and every task till this time:)
  • incitata
    incitata Posts: 12
    Options
    I love practicing in the mornings. Sometime between 6-7am is ideal for me. But alas, I work full-time during the week with very early hours so that's not really an option. So during the week, I practice in the afternoons. It's good in its own way -- shifting gears from work to yoga has a calming effect on me and I can relax in the evenings.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    usually in the morning..I have a late class schedule and work afternoons so naturally its easier to get it done on the day during the week. On the weekends (usually saturday or sunday) its in the morning!
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Short answer: whenever I find time.. Usually naptime.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    lately, the mornings. but it depends on work. i've definitely frequented the evening classes too.
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    If I do yoga it's only on my off day(s) from lifting heavy weights.