7 day pH balancing cleanse - follow along

Options
For the past 2 months i've been following the transitioning stages laid out in The pH Miracle book by Robert and Shelley Young. It involves reducing the consumption of acidifying foodstuffs and ultimately ridding myself of all the rubbishy processed foods we all lean towards in favour of alkalising healthy options. This process has been neither tough, nor unenjoyable. The meals have tasted great and are varied, my skin has drastically improved and i feel healthier in general. Admittedly, i have never liked coffee or tea so havent had to suffer extreme caffeine withdrawal but i do love a rum and coke or 6 and chocolate so it hasn't been an entirely headache-free experience. But the tough stage is short-lived at typically 3 days before you feel anew.

This afternoon i wrote out a fresh produce only shopping list and prepared myself for a full-on 7 day cleanse. Tomorrow i begin with freshly squeezed limes in a jug of water and my favourite green juice, Green Goddess. As i go along i'll list some of the more notable recipes so you can enjoy them, too. The pH Miracle author suggests doing a cleanse that lasts from 2 to 7 days so pick and choose from the recipes below and enjoy optimising your chances of a healthier you. :smile:

During transitioning (which has been a slow and gentle shift from a fairly unhealthy diet to an optimal one) i've added a green juice a day so even if you cant face a full cleanse, just one Green Goddess added to everything else you consume will go a long way to helping your body help you. Below is a post detailing why Green Juice is so good for the body - it's a must read!

Sarah. xx

:drinker:

Replies

• Sarah_Alexa
    Sarah_Alexa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This morning i began the day with freshly squeezed lime juice in a big glass of water. Limes (contrary to sensible thought) actually have an alkalising effect in the body so are great for you and taste amazing. I then followed up with my favourite juice:

GREEN GODDESS JUICE

Having looked far and wide for a great green juice, this one packs in a lot of the nutrition we need and tastes amazing.

Half a Cucumber
    Juice of 1 Lime
    Half Romaine Lettuce
    1 Pink Lady Apple
    Half cup of pure Coconut Water (vita coco is a good brand)
    3 handfuls of Spinach
    3 Celery Stalks
    2 handfuls kale (optional)
    1 sachet of wheatgrass powder (optional)

i dont want to buy a juicer (i've read too many reports of them being hard to clean) so i chop everything up and squeeze the lime juice, then use a hand blender to make it all creamy, adding the coconut water first to ensure it liquifies with ease. Then i pour it into my Prolex blender which has a jug with internal mesh filter. The cross blade then blends the veg mulsh further and forces the juice through the mesh to the outer area of the jug ready for pouring. Apart from the motor base, everything else rinses easily and is dishwasher proof.

Easy cleaning and quick results makes this a fairly fast morning juice or post-work pre-meal winner. :smile:

Visit and 'Like' https://www.facebook.com/Girlswithoutlimits if you'd like to see photos of the juice and learn about why green juices are so great for your body.

Sarah. xx
  • Julieann777
    Julieann777 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post. They say that balancing your pH is key to health and preventing disease. Another tip I learned on balancing pH is to add 1 TBS of organic Apple Cider Vinegar to your water in the morning before breakfast, and if you want to be more aggressive, do this before every meal. Like you say, it does seem odd that lemons, limes and vinegar actually alkalize the body--because they taste acidic, but actually are the opposite. Sometimes we just can't judge a fruit by it's cover :wink: .
  • Sarah_Alexa
    Options
    :smile: I have a bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar next to my bedside so when i wake up i drink a small shot with water so that by the time i have breakfast an hour later it's worked its magic in my gut. It's a bit tangy but it helps wake me up!
  • Sarah_Alexa
    Options
    WHY GREEN JUICES ARE GOOD FOR YOU

Like the Earth on which we live, our bodies are 70% water (and our blood 94%). Adding freshly squeezed lime juice to water alkalises it, which then helps neutralise stored acid wastes, eventually removing them from the body. I personally drink 2-3 jugs a day with herbal teas thrown in for variety, and as a bonus I don’t suffer food cravings in between meals.

Juicing vegetables (mainly green veg and grasses) results in a very powerful nutrient-rich drink. Your body gets a greater concentration of rapidly usable:
    • alkaline salts
    • vitamins
    • minerals
    • chlorophyll (green veg and grasses)
    • phytonutrients (red, orange, yellow veg)
    • enzymes
    making them very alkalising.

• Alkaline salts protect against microform overgrowth and mycotoxins
    • Chlorophyll helps the blood cells deliver oxygen throughout the body. It also reduces the binding of carcinogens to DNA in the liver and other organs
    • Enzymes are needed for just about every chemical activity in the human body and replenishing our overall energy reserves. They also aid digestion
    • Phytonutrients help prevent cancer, lower cholesterol, relieve arthritis and osteoporosis, and stop hormones from being turned into acids
    • Wheat grass (listed in my Green Goddess recipe) contains 100+ food elements including every identified mineral, trace mineral and every vitamin in the B-complex family. It has one of the highest pro-vitamin A contents of any food, and is rich in vitamins C, E and K. Wheat grass juice is 25% protein, a higher percentage than in meat, fish, eggs, dairy products or beans, and has high amounts of an antifungal, antimycotoxic substance called laetrile

Yes, you could drink the pulp too (a green smoothie), but the body has to work harder to access the nutrients on offer so try juicing every so often, if not every day, to enable a quicker delivery of the good stuff.

Finally, have one half an hour before a meal or as a meal and be sure to drink it as soon as you make it before the goodness breaks down.

Enjoy! :drinker:

Sarah. xx
  • Sarah_Alexa
    Options
    LUNCH or DINNER option: Creamy broccoli soup

A warming, high-protein soup that takes only 15 minutes to prepare.

To make 1 decent sized bowl of soup (double up for 2 people):

Make up 200ml of vegetable stock
    2 overflowing cups of chopped broccoli florets
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    2 red or yellow onions, chopped
    1 avocado
    1 celery stalk chopped
    3rd of a tsp of cumin powder
    Quarter tsp of mashed, fresh ginger
    Sea salt flakes or crystals (your preference) to sprinkle on at the very end

Add the veg stock, broccoli and onions to a pot and heat through gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Then transfer to a large plastic jug and use a hand blender to puree all of the ingredients together, except the salt. Add to a bowl, sprinkle with a little sea salt to taste. Serve whilst still warm.

I wasn’t expecting this soup to be so full of flavour but it was delicious and so quick and easy to make! Nom nom nom. ☺

Sarah. xx
  • Joannavictoriaashley
    Joannavictoriaashley Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I will attempt to make this today. Sounds great, and love that the avocado makes it a bit more fulfilling :smile:
  • Sarah_Alexa
    Options
    LUNCH or DINNER option: Popeye Soup, which can be eaten cold or slightly warmed (dont cook otherwise the nutrients and enzymes will be less effective).

Basically, puree the following, then warm gently or eat cold. Simples. :smile:

Red bell pepper 1
    Cucumber 1
    Garlic clove 2
    Lime 1
    Spinach 1 handful
    Avocado 1
    Vegetable stock 1 cup
    Organic Shallots 2 small
    Sea Salt 1 pinch
    Spice - Garam Masala powder, 1/2 tsp
    Spice - Mild Curry Powder, 1/2 tsp
    Spice - Cayenne Pepper powder, 1/2 tsp

I have to be honest, this was too bland for me and i probably would've preferred it cold and without the spices for a cleaner, more refreshing lunchtime meal. If you attempt it, let me know which other spices you use and if you find a better alternative. Next time i'm going to try smoked paprika. :smile:
  • Sarah_Alexa
    Options
    Today i started with another Green Goddess juice (recipe above) then lunch was a highly alkalising and refreshing cold soup:

LUNCH or DINNER option: Catalan Gazpacho Soup

Another easy one - blend the following together and serve chilled. :smile:

1 Red Bell Pepper
    1 Cucumber
    3 Plum tomatoes
    1 small Jalapeno pepper
    1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Juice of 1 Lime
    1/2 tsp Cumin
    1 tsp Sea Salt
    2 Garlic cloves

This will create a full bowl so could be shared by 2 but wouldn't be enough if the one you're sharing with is a ravenous man. :happy: You also have the option to sprinkle chopped tomatoes, avocado, celery and onions on top if you want some crunch.

This tasted amazing with the jalapeno spice giving it a great kick whilst the cucumber works to boost your hydration levels and alkalise your system. Great on a hot day.

Sarah. xx
  • Sarah_Alexa
    Options
    Today began with another Green Goddess juice (recipe above). I never tire of this juice because it packs in everything and tastes great. Also, after a while your body starts to crave it! I then did an hour of Hatha Yoga for strength training before lunch which was a warming, mildly spiced soup. Be sure to keep flushing your system with water and freshly squeezed lime juice. :smile:

LUNCH or DINNER option: Asparagus and Carrot soup

1 carrot, shaved/grated
    1 celery stalk, chopped
    3 sprigs of parsley, chopped
    1 red onion, chopped
    2 cups of vegetable stock
    2 cups of steamed, chopped asparagus
    Dash of mace
    1 bay leaf
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    1/4 tsp cumin

Put all of the vegetables, bay leaf and stock into a pot and gently heat for 10 minutes. Transfer to a blender, add the salt and spices and blend til it's smooth.

Enjoy!
  • Sarah_Alexa
    Options
    LUNCH or DINNER option: Raw Green Soup

1 Avocado
    1 cucumber, peeled
    1 jalapeno (remove seeds if want to lessen spice)
    1 small red onion
    1 lime - freshly squeezed
    1 cup of vegetable stock
    2 cloves of garlic
    1 tbsp fresh coriander
    1 tbsp fresh parsley
    1 carrot, finely diced for garnish and crunch

Blend everything together (except the carrot) into a puree. Sprinkle on the carrots and serve immediately.

Enjoy! xx
  • Sarah_Alexa
    Options
    LUNCH or DINNER option: Cucumber salad

Highly alkalising and refreshing.

1/2 cucumber, sliced or chopped
    Small bunch of Parsley, chopped finely
    Lime - freshly squeezed
    1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
    Small bunch of Mint, chopped finely

Toss all of the ingredients together and chill for a few hours before serving.

:smile:
  • Sarah_Alexa
    Options
    LUNCH or DINNER option: Potassium salad

1/2 green or white cabbage, shredded
    Small bunch of Parsley, chopped
    3 carrots, grated
    1 avocado
    1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1/4 tsp onion powder
    1/4 tsp sea salt

Toss all of the ingredients together and serve immediately.

:smile: