Protein shake?

Options
fitfunk
fitfunk Posts: 119 Member
I just started 4-HB today and had read on another forum that some people were having success with a protein shake for breakfast as an easier means of getting sufficient protein quickly in the morning. Anyone in the group doing this? Any good recommendations for a brand that doesn't taste like paste? :wink:

Replies

• thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I actually started drinking them because I'm not a breakfast eater. At first I tried the EAS Myoplex shakes and I thought they tasted horrible. I now drink Premier Nutrition (www.premiernutrition.com) in chocolate. Drink one every morning and if I'm struggling on the protein for the day, I'll drink one later in the day as well.
  • fitfunk
    fitfunk Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks--I'll give that brand a shot. I like the idea of having it around, just in case.
  • coolvstar650
    coolvstar650 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I get my whey protein shake at Wal-Mart. Its Pure Protein - 100% Whey Protein Powder- Vanilla Cream. To make sure that we are getting 30+ grams of protein I put 2 tablespoons of nut butter into the shake. I make with a cup of water and 6-9 ice cubes. I think it tastes great. Its not chalky or grainy, it actually blends up smooth.
  • shanander
    shanander Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    How do you feel your shakes fit in the program? I just ordered the Isopure Natural Unflavored and plan to add unsweetened cocoa or Natural PB since that was on the list.

BTW, Is there a recommended PB that is just peanuts and water and no sugar? Otherwise I have to go to the Fresh Market since they have a nut grinder to make it fresh (which is a pain to go there)

I'm on day 3 and having a hard time with breakfast. I often get up and immediately am breastfeeding my 7 week old and then getting breakfast ready for my 3 year old, so I need something quick so I can consume it within the 30-60 minutes of waking.
  • coolvstar650
    coolvstar650 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I use only Smucker's Natural Peanut butter...it only has 2 ingredients...peanuts and less than 2% salt. I have 2 tablespoons every morning and have not had any trouble losing weight with that amount in my shake. We have shakes for breakfast.
  • shanander
    shanander Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I went to the store tonight and picked up a jar of Smuckers. That was the best one at the store. I also picked up unsweetened cocoa and made a shake tonight with my plant fusion (randomly had after my SIL recommended it and it was on the ok list) and added the cocoa and a dash of cinnamon and it was awesome!

I'm excited to try a shake with PB in the morning. My husband, who isn't a shake person, wants a shake after a sip of mine.
  • robinm
    robinm Posts: 5
    Options
    It's great that Premier Nutrition works - we have some from former forays into Low Cal eating, and I need something to help me get protein in the morning.
  • ktully93
    ktully93 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    There's a YouTube video I watched about a SCD protein shake. The lady in the video added spinach, avocado, beans, and coffee or espresso to her morning smoothie. She also added cinnamon and I believe stevia to sweeten.

I use Dymatize Elite Gourmet protein powder. It is gluten free, low in sugar, and tastes great. I have taste tested a lot of powders over the past 3 years. I order it thru Bodybuilding.com, but GNC carries it as well.
  • Valttteri
    Valttteri Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    fitfunk wrote: »
    I just started 4-HB today and had read on another forum that some people were having success with a protein shake for breakfast as an easier means of getting sufficient protein quickly in the morning. Anyone in the group doing this? Any good recommendations for a brand that doesn't taste like paste? :wink:

Don't know if somebody is still reading this. For me protein shakes for breakfast was a very bad decision because after the shake I got hungry in 1-2 hours, and had a normal breakfast. Gained 2 kg during that week.