PALS Eating 1200 Calories or Less

caleo2006
caleo2006 Posts: 22 Member
Just curious, what do you all do when your PALS eat 1200 calories or less? Do you message them and try to encourage them? Do you delete them? I have several who hardly eat, and I've thought of messaging them, but don't want to come off as judging. So, I think I might just try posting articles on eating more in hopes of them reading it. What do you all do?

Replies

• I just did this! Then I saw your post :). I have a long story with my weight loss journey. Lately I noticed that a few of my friends weren't eating enough. I started writing on one person's profile telling them not to do what I did (she is starting her journey). But then I deleted it as I didn't want to offend her.

So then I just posted something about this group and also the website. Started off with "1200 cal diets don't work!" I am starting over again with this process and I hope to find success as I only have 15 pounds till I reach my goal. I quit too soon last time I did the EM2WL (panicked). So I am hoping to find some friends on here that will support me!
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    If they are regulars on this forum, they've no doubt come across the "eat more" threads. I was here less than a week before I came across my first and I've seen plenty since.

The way I see it, telling them to eat more will do no good. I think of it the same way I do with my Christianity. The best way to spread the "Word" is by your actions, not by bombarding them with scripture or weight-loss info. Some people just get stubborn and dig their heels in even more. Most people will not even consider eating more lose weight until they've exhausted all their other options.

If they hit a stall and whine about it, then they've opened the door. That's when you can step in and give them a link here and/or the In Place of a Roadmap group.

I know a lot of people don't keep people on their friends list who prescribe to low-calorie diets. I might get to that point, too, but not yet. I have one young gal on my friends list who struggles to consume more than 800 calories a day. She's trying to get in 900, but mentally it's a challenge. When I see her hit 900 calories, I congratulate her for her milestone.

In the end, though, I think you need to do what is best for YOU. I am usually the first one to step in and do things for others, partly because I enjoy it and partly because I have a sick need to be needed. But now, I'm trying really, really hard to put me and my health first. After all, if I can't take care of myself, I won't be able to take care of someone else.
  • crowunruh
    crowunruh Posts: 246 Member
    I just delete them. I have a note in my profile stating that I delete friends for this. It is amazing how many people think that eating 800 calories a day is healthy for them. Especially when they are working out! I would love to be able to tell people that they don't have to starve themselves to lose weight. But people get offended pretty easily on the internet. So I just delete them. Everyone has the right to do this their own way, but I find my motivation from my MFP friends and if we don't have the same goals then its pointless to stay friends with them. No matter how polite your advise might be, it is usually going to offend them.
  • caleo2006
    Thanks for the responses guys! This whole "eat more"/ "eat less" is almost as bad as politics. :-) I am torn because, on one hand, I would like to be an example, but on the other hand, it is hard to be encouraging to someone when they complete their diaries and only ate 300 calories for the day. I have really contemplated deleting, but I was "ignorant" once and hardly ate as well, and most of my PALS are from that time. I think I will look for more EM2WL friends and stop looking at the diaries of those who hardly eat. Also, post articles once in a while from the website. Thanks again for the feedback!
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    I deleted one the other day as watching someone log 600 cals exercise and also being 600 cals under their low goal was too much for me. since the only place they would've found be was on em2wl cos that's the only place I hang out, or maybe from a mutual friend. I just saw someone posting on a friends diary..."well done for being under" and once I saw her profile it made sense. Fell free to add me as I'm a em2wl supporter all the way.
  • Browneyedbeff
    Browneyedbeff Posts: 24 Member
    I'm one of the people who MFP told to eat 1200 calories or less. I typically go over, but not by much. This enabled me to lose 46 lbs when I did P90X last year. How many calories do you all recommend for someone who is 5'2",weighs 124 lbs, and does Insanity?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I'll make several attempts at posting to their post about diary being finished asking if they are sick, noticed little to no food today, ect. Some nice question.
    Also make a general post to all the friends regarding a success story on MFP from someone that is clear they started low and had to move high and reach goal weight, see if they respond or say thank you or complain that isn't for everyone.

If none of the other friends jump on board and just keep saying "great work" to being under goal, then it's a lost cause - too much support for their desired way.

If they aren't a big wall poster, may leave them awhile, but if they complain about not losing weight after those attempts, and suggestions to that specific complaint to perhaps speed up their metabolism, then they are gone. I put their profile page and current loss amount and goal into an old blog post to keep track of them.
    I'll check in from time to time and none have succeeded yet. Still stuck. Too bad.

But obviously my support direction is not their direction, so why waste time.
  • Browneyedbeff
    I borrowed the workouts from friends and did not get the nutrition guides. I was 168 lbs and that's way too heavy for someone with a 5'2" frame. 124 lbs is very healthy. And why so rude? I joined this group and asked a simple question in hopes of learning something!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    I'm one of the people who MFP told to eat 1200 calories or less. I typically go over, but not by much. This enabled me to lose 46 lbs when I did P90X last year. How many calories do you all recommend for someone who is 5'2",weighs 124 lbs, and does Insanity?

I don't know, but perhaps join the Insanity group as they will have experience and insight and be able to guide you in the right direction.
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Have you tried the scooby calculator that is mentioned in the stickies or the roadmap spreadsheet????? It should give you a pretty accurate idea on calories but the main thing to remember is not to underestimate your activity level which is what most people do.

I'm sure that most people here would agree that at your weight and height a small deficit would be recommended. I'm 5ft 2 as well but have a few more pounds on you which includes quite a bit of muscle though and I eat 2000 plus a day and have seen great changes, oh and the 2000 is with my deficit already deducted.

I've been doing this for over a year once I totally stalled doing weight watchers which would of equalled 1200 or less cals amd netting super low due to huge cardio burns.

Just my two cents. It may be for you and may not but eating more is a real "head" thing, I know it was for me in the beginning.
  • caleo2006
    I borrowed the workouts from friends and did not get the nutrition guides. I was 168 lbs and that's way too heavy for someone with a 5'2" frame. 124 lbs is very healthy. And why so rude? I joined this group and asked a simple question in hopes of learning something!

Based on your age, height, weight, and 3-5 hours of moderate exercise, according to the calculator, , your BMR is 1315, so if you are eating 1200 or less, you are definitely not eating enough. Since you asked, I recommend reading up on the stickies on this forum or visit the Eat More 2 Weigh Less website. I have learned so much here and am so much healthier since putting it into practice. I wish you the best!
  • caleo2006
    Oops! Meant to quote your first post! :-)
  • Browneyedbeff
    Thanks for your help!!!
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Update:

I was trying to encourage my 600-calorie MFP "friends" to eat more. There was one gal that I actually cheered for when she ate 900 calories. But then she'd go back to eating 600, 700, 500 ... I finally realized that I was wasting my time and theirs by looking at their diaries, reading their page notices and posting on their profiles.

So, now I have decided to delete any obvious anorexia-eaters from my friends list.

I also decided to delete MFP "friends" who continuously go MIA for days at a time. This is because I tired of posting little "Where are you?" "I hope all is OK" notices over and over again on the same profiles. My time can be much better spent encouraging the friends on my list who are serious about their health.

I need to remind myself that I'm on MFP for MY health. I'm not here to save someone who does not want to be saved.

That said, I'd love to be here to catch someone when they trip or pick them up when they fall -- so long as they are serious about continuing their journey to good health. And I hope that I have a few friends in my list who will be willing to give me a helping hand when I need it.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Whilst I am honest in my statuses about my approach, and have posted about my approach quite happily - I have to say one of the first people who befriended me on here suffers from an eating disorder.

I had noticed in their diary their eating patterns, but then I saw them post in a thread some advice to someone in a similar cycle of despair, and I realised that I have NO IDEA what it must be like to suffer a disorder, and how could I then possibly JUDGE someone without having ever been in that position myself.

It's not an approach I would take, obviously.
    But how does one balance the support and encouragement of someone who was friendly when I first joined against a fundamental difference of approach.

My personal take? If, by telling this person that I would be around if ever they needed a friend, can help them find a healthy balance, then I would take that 10 times over behaving like a 12-year-old in a playground.
    I hope this friend can get a healthy outlook... and I will cheer them on every step of the way as they try.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    I tend not to comment too much on people when they're not eating enough, although I will mention to people if I see them eating nothing but junk.

I do, however, try to comment positively on people doing exercise and eating at a sensible deficit and share (possibly a little too often) that I'm losing weight at 1900+ calories a day.
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member

This is definitely not the group to post your previous post in, let alone this thread, but I was in your spot (or very near it) about 7 weeks ago. Then I happened on EM2WL. The other person who posted about scooby is right. Try this: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and read the stickies for this group, you will learn a lot!
  • Mira710
    Mira710 Posts: 194 Member
    I have a mfp friend who keeps her diary private, but based on her exercise and the amount she claims to eat, she is netting NEGATIVE calories (i.e., burning 2,000 calories in workouts and only eating 1200 calories for the day). She passed her goal weight about 20 pounds ago, so I'm a bit worried. I have tried to encourage her to take at least one rest day a week, but she usually only takes one rest day every two months or so. I have also told her about my success with eating more, but that doesn't seem to persuade her. I usually don't delete friends (unless they never log in), but I feel I have no choice here. Some people are just going to do what they want to do.
  • misskym
    misskym Posts: 52 Member
    I try to post encouragements on my wall, such as my NSVs and how I'm able to lose inches while eating 1900 calories. It's such a touchy subject that I don't want to offend my MFP friends. Sometimes I want to reach out and say, "HEY! You're eating too little. You're breastfeeding. YOU NEED TO EAT!" but again, I don't want to offend. I'm hoping they will read my posts and become inspired.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    I have a friend who has been at this a while and is still losing at a steady rate but only eats about 700 calories, sometimes less. Workouts state this person burns 500 a session on avg and exercise calories are not eaten back. I've considered deleting this person several times but it's hard because a nice person and I just don't have the heart.