shocking the body? is that a real thing

Options
jamiek917
jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
so i used to screw up royally 1-3x a week (ie eating great like 75% of the time but practically binging the other time- which was obviously horrible and counteracting everything i was doing on my good days and consistent efforts in the gym)

now that ive been consistent with my calorie range and tracking diligently and accurately every day for a month- i ask- is "shocking your body" something real or worth doing?

ive heard (and it might be BS) that occasional (ie once every 3-4 weeks) high calorie days (and im not talking anything ridiculous- more like maybe 1K over a normal day or something) can actually shock the body into moving things along is they have stalled or slowed.

fiction or fact?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    In my non-expert opinion...

First, I think "shock" is the wrong word. I also don't believe in all that non-sense about confusing or resetting your metabolism.

I think it comes down to this: The body is a highly adaptive thing. It's constantly trying to reach a point of equilibrium. When you do the same thing over and over for weeks and weeks and weeks, the body will start to adapt. For this reason, I can see some validity to things like occasional and strategic refeeds and deloads.

On a side note, I don't believe any of this happens quickly. If you've been consistent with cals for a whole week, don't freak out and think you need a refeed. Monthly is probably the most frequent I would suggest it for the average MFPer. The body just doesn't adapt that quickly, and most people are that dead set consistent. I also don't believe most of us should go about it all willynilly. "I'm just going to eat as much of whatever I want today because I need to reset my metabolism" is a load of crap and probably a recipe for failure. Have a plan and a reason for what you're doing.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Mostly fiction.

Some say that eating over your calorie goal periodically will "raise your metabolism" and thus cause you to lose weight when you drop calories back down. This theory is mostly based on the idea that 24 hours of overfeeding will raise leptin levels, but the problem is that leptin levels drop back down just as quickly when the deficit is resumed.

Overfeeding one day a week may, however, bring your cortisol up enough to let you drop some water weight you've been holding, if that's an issue.

There is something to the notion of taking a break from dieting to bring some hormones back closer to normal and thus sidestep some of the issues that come with prolonged dieting, by that is best accomplished by a 1-2 week diet break, one day won't do anything.
  • 2BhappyBhealthy
    2BhappyBhealthy Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I never did have "spike" days - and now on occasion, I will. Still healthy foods, but much higher caloric consumption than my "goal". And suddenly things are actually moving. But on the same token, I also switched up my workout routine as well... So really, just more or less changing things up every so often is something I can vouch for. Heck, even forcing myself to take more rest days has helped. I am so much stronger when I make myself take a little time off. But I am no expert. Can only speak from my own experience.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Will respond a bit more fully later, but my quick comments are:

There is no such thing as 'shocking the body'. What there is are refeeds that may help to keep your metabolism up, but it is not really relevant unless you get pretty lean and YMMV.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Mostly fiction.

Some say that eating over your calorie goal periodically will "raise your metabolism" and thus cause you to lose weight when you drop calories back down. This theory is mostly based on the idea that 24 hours of overfeeding will raise leptin levels, but the problem is that leptin levels drop back down just as quickly when the deficit is resumed.

Overfeeding one day a week may, however, bring your cortisol up enough to let you drop some water weight you've been holding, if that's an issue.

There is something to the notion of taking a break from dieting to bring some hormones back closer to normal and thus sidestep some of the issues that come with prolonged dieting, by that is best accomplished by a 1-2 week diet break, one day won't do anything.

Actually, I don't need to respond more fully as ^^this basically covers it for the majority of the population.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

So, my eating at maintenance for 2 weeks over the Christmas vacation (after eating at a deficit for 7 months) might have been a good idea? YAY!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

So, my eating at maintenance for 2 weeks over the Christmas vacation (after eating at a deficit for 7 months) might have been a good idea? YAY!

Yes http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Thank you - that was a great read. :flowerforyou:
  • elizabethis
    elizabethis Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Thanks for the link. This was very interesting. I'd like a break to coincide with an occasion or situation - as above during a Christmas vacation. The article's author was recommending quite frequent breaks, though, especially if one is already reasonably lean. I'm one that has large scale fluctuations surrounding menstrual cycles/ovulation, so there is basically only a week or so every 5-6 weeks when I can pretty accurately see what's going on (scale-wise and even measurements too, as fluid affects these). I don't feel the need currently for a "psychologic" diet break, but that's not to say I don't need a physiologic break. Just not sure how I would handle the psychological stress if my break coincided with already large sessions of fluid retention (6-7 lbs sometimes) and translated to 10 lbs up or something. I don't think it would derail me, but I can't imagine not being pretty discouraged by it. Anyone have details to share about a diet break and what it felt like and your progress afterwards/during?
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options

I'm actually taking a diet break right now and it's a wonderful thing, psychologically at least!
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

Should I ever get down to a point where I can actually start bulking, I believe I'll time my bulk cycle for Christmas and New Year's :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Agreed with Fire_Rock on all points.

Should I ever get down to a point where I can actually start bulking, I believe I'll time my bulk cycle for Christmas and New Year's :)

^ And that's the way to do it.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Mostly fiction.

Thanks- i appreciate the input. in the past with my "binges" (an extra 1-2K cals- often worth carbs either stress or social eating) more than 1x a week, my body would show a gain (often 2-4 lbs) the following day- and the gain would stay, and i had to backtrack several lbs. i know i wasnt eating an extra 10K cals- but it was definitely double a normal day of eating.

i just get worried that if 1x a month, i splurge and go over a bit (and maybe not with healthy food)- ill backtrack several lbs. ive been consistent for a little over a month and dont want to undo my hard work. i would hope that a day of going over (not an all out binge or anything) - would at the very least make me maintain - but i get worried that it will set me back.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Mostly fiction.

Thanks- i appreciate the input. in the past with my "binges" (an extra 1-2K cals- often worth carbs either stress or social eating) more than 1x a week, my body would show a gain (often 2-4 lbs) the following day- and the gain would stay, and i had to backtrack several lbs. i know i wasnt eating an extra 10K cals- but it was definitely double a normal day of eating.

i just get worried that if 1x a month, i splurge and go over a bit (and maybe not with healthy food)- ill backtrack several lbs. ive been consistent for a little over a month and dont want to undo my hard work. i would hope that a day of going over (not an all out binge or anything) - would at the very least make me maintain - but i get worried that it will set me back.

You have nothing to worry about provided that over the course of time you are maintaining a caloric deficit. Having a day here and there where you eat more is totally fine and you shouldn't feel guilty about it as long as you're not out-eating your deficit the rest of the time.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Thanks for the link. This was very interesting. I'd like a break to coincide with an occasion or situation - as above during a Christmas vacation. The article's author was recommending quite frequent breaks, though, especially if one is already reasonably lean. I'm one that has large scale fluctuations surrounding menstrual cycles/ovulation, so there is basically only a week or so every 5-6 weeks when I can pretty accurately see what's going on (scale-wise and even measurements too, as fluid affects these). I don't feel the need currently for a "psychologic" diet break, but that's not to say I don't need a physiologic break. Just not sure how I would handle the psychological stress if my break coincided with already large sessions of fluid retention (6-7 lbs sometimes) and translated to 10 lbs up or something. I don't think it would derail me, but I can't imagine not being pretty discouraged by it. Anyone have details to share about a diet break and what it felt like and your progress afterwards/during?

I take one every now and again...basically the timing is when I realize (or more accurately, get told *cough* SideSteel *cough*) that I am a starting to get a bit of a hormonal crazy bish. I find that they become more necessary the leaner I get. On average I have taken one every 3 months or so. It really just resets the crazy and also is good to 'regroup'. Dieting gets old mentally also, so I think it is good for long term adherence.

My friend Bean took one a few months ago and did a blog of it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MoreBean13
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Mostly fiction.

You have nothing to worry about provided that over the course of time you are maintaining a caloric deficit. Having a day here and there where you eat more is totally fine and you shouldn't feel guilty about it as long as you're not out-eating your deficit the rest of the time.

This is key. The ability to have a cheat/off/whatever day with minimal "damage" really comes down to how good you've been leading up to that point and how over you go on the cheat day. If a cheat day for you is 500 extra cals, you can probably do it more often than someone (like me) who's cheat day is 2000 cals over.