Weight Plateau, any ideas?

Options
So I have been stuck at the same weight (fluctuating 1-4 pounds) for about 4 months now and I can't get unstuck. I have tried upping calories, reducing calories, upping carbs, lowering carbs. You name it I've tried it.

I started primal in January 2012, and I started IFing in June 2012 and did that until my weight got stuck in October. Then I came off IFing thinking maybe that would help. In January this year I did 8 weeks of strict Paleo/Whole 30 and still, no change. The last 2 weeks I'm easing back into IFing and having a TBS of coconut oil in the morning and skipping breakfast hoping maybe going back on IF may help.

I currently eat between 1400-1900 calories a day, crossfit 3x a week, yoga 1x a week. I am down 30 pounds from when I started and went from a size 16 to a size 10 and currently weigh 174lbs and am 5'7" tall.

Supplements: Bcomplex, Vitamin D3 and magnesium

Typical day: (B) scrambled eggs & veggies with bacon, (L)leftovers or a big salad with veggies, avocado & steak/salmon/shrimp, (D)meat, veggies and sweet potato

Any ideas on something to try?

Replies

• justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    I would look at tdee -20%.As you are doing a lot of working out it looks like you are not eating near enough calories.
    the scooby calculator seems to be very good http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    make sure to put in the correct level of activity and it will give you accurate calorie intake.
    good luck!
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Lots of low level activity such as walking and SPRINTS!!!! And don't rely on the scales. Use a tape measure, pants size and body fat calipers to judge. I didn't feel like I was losing any fat for a while but after measuring my body fat found I'd lost 4%.
    But gained 3kg of muscle :smile:

Not sure if you've read this:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/17-reasons-youre-not-losing-weight/

and this:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/weight-loss-plateau/
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Toss the scale and start taking measurements.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    February wasn't a great month for my weight loss however, I still feel like superwoman. So, I'm really not very concerned.

How much of your calories comes from healthy fat? For some people, higher fat and lower carb can really help.
  • daniellealys
    daniellealys Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You should follow a whole 30 diet plan for 30 days. you will see results :D but, follow it exactly.
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    In my very non-expert opinion, 1900 calories seems low for someone doing crossfit X3 plus more. I know it's a weird suggestion, but you're probably undereating. So I second the notion to check out the scooby calculator and to focus more on measurements and less on the scale! It seems to me that as people get closer and closer to their goals the scale might not move but measuring tape can do crazy awesome things :)

Also keep in mind that most folks gain back all of the weight they lose, so just to be where you are and maintain it is an awesome job!
  • sugarcrystal8
    sugarcrystal8 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I hadn't considered I wasn't eating enough, but I feel full so I don't want to eat more.

I did the whole 30 strict for 7 weeks with no change, and I have been taking measurements too, so I'm not obsessed with the scale #. I actually had gotten down and could get in a size 6 and zip up the pants but now I can barely squeeze in a size 8 and a size 10 is really where I'm at. So I know my body has gotten down there, just not sure why it went back up.

The only fat I'm eating is coconut oil, meats, fish and avocado. I only cook with CO or EVOO and I take 2 TBS of CO each day too.

Thanks for those links, I'll check those out and I'll use that scooby calculator to see what it says.

And this week I have added in walking/hiking. I have realized I don't do much low level moving, so I'll add that on my non CF days too.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Your profile states that you have PCOS. Are you doing anything to specifically address that? How many grams of carbs are you eating? Have you had your thyroid tested?
  • sugarcrystal8
    Options
    Yes, my thyroid is okay, I had it retested in December thinking that could be the problem.. My PCOS is under control due to this diet and I"m having normal cycles again. I take Inositol in place of metformin, which is what the doctor had wanted me to go on. I did a year of meds in 2011 with metformin and clomid and it wrecked my body. This is why I cut all meds and went paleo in Jan 2012. I do know the insulin issues can play a role in weight loss, so I haven't been too hard on myself, but 3 months of no change was just odd for me.

Carb grams I'm around 100. Some days 70 other days 120. I shoot for 100 and it's primarily fruit & veggies. I really have NO processed food at all. Fruits tend to be berries with coconut milk and the only time I have a banana is after a workout or in a protein shake, which is maybe 1-2 x a week.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Yes, my thyroid is okay, I had it retested in December thinking that could be the problem.. My PCOS is under control due to this diet and I"m having normal cycles again. I take Inositol in place of metformin, which is what the doctor had wanted me to go on. I did a year of meds in 2011 with metformin and clomid and it wrecked my body. This is why I cut all meds and went paleo in Jan 2012. I do know the insulin issues can play a role in weight loss, so I haven't been too hard on myself, but 3 months of no change was just odd for me.

Carb grams I'm around 100. Some days 70 other days 120. I shoot for 100 and it's primarily fruit & veggies. I really have NO processed food at all. Fruits tend to be berries with coconut milk and the only time I have a banana is after a workout or in a protein shake, which is maybe 1-2 x a week.
    All good stuff. You might be (emphasis on "might") more sensitive to carbs than you realize. I would suggest that you try to reduce carbs to under 50 grams for 2 weeks and see if that jump starts your weight loss. I know that 1 banana a week would stop me from losing weight.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

All good stuff. You might be (emphasis on "might") more sensitive to carbs than you realize. I would suggest that you try to reduce carbs to under 50 grams for 2 weeks and see if that jump starts your weight loss. I know that 1 banana a week would stop me from losing weight.

Yup, me too, bananas (and most fruit, with exception of berries) kick my butt. About a month ago I had a measly quarter of a banana in a smoothie for breakfast; BAD idea. I was craving carbs for a week. Ridiculous, I know. I did find a "Paleo" banana bread that I can have occasionally (NOT for breakfast), but I do notice that I always WANT a second piece, and I don't struggle like that with other foods. I keep my carbs under 50 grams, and try to keep net carbs (total carbs minus fibre) under 20. And I eat LOTS of fat because it makes me feel awesome. It's certainly my experience that some of us are far more sensitive to carbs/sugar than others.
  • sugarcrystal8
    Options
    Thanks! I'll definitely give it a go and drop bananas for 2 weeks and get my carbs down to 50 to see if that makes a difference.