JUST 30DS?

Options
ThatSoundsHard
ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
Good morning!

I'm curious. Are you all planning on using 30 day shred as your exclusive work out? Are you planning on adding it to your routine?
I'm pretty sore after doing level 1 yesterday but I also got in another of Jillian's videos as well. I want to make sure I'm pushing myself but I don't want to overdo it. Maybe I'll pair 30 day shred with some gentle yoga.
Thoughts?

Replies

• sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing my treadmill and a DVD I got from WW...their Punch DVD. It's pretty good too!
  • FFF2015
    FFF2015 Posts: 21
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing. I will be keeping up my gym routine just cut back on the time spent there and just add in the 30DS.
  • joeymalone142
    Options
    I am just doing 30DS because I don't usually exercise at all so this is a big deal for me. I am planning to take saturday and sunday off each week, and I hope if the weather permits I can at least get a good walk/hike in those days.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    Options
    I don't want to be giving unsolicited advice here BUT...
    If you don't exercise at all, I would spread out the "rest days" unless you've got amazing will power. Speaking from my own experience, when my body isn't used to exercising, if I take 2 days off in a row, there is a 95% chance I'm not going to get back to it.

What works for me personally is to rest every 3-4 days when I've got a good work out.
  • x3na1401
    x3na1401 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    What are the rest days?
  • joeymalone142
    Options
    I don't want to be giving unsolicited advice here BUT...
    If you don't exercise at all, I would spread out the "rest days" unless you've got amazing will power. Speaking from my own experience, when my body isn't used to exercising, if I take 2 days off in a row, there is a 95% chance I'm not going to get back to it.

What works for me personally is to rest every 3-4 days when I've got a good work out.

I totally understand what you are saying, and this is a huge fear of mine! No worries about unsolicited advice! We are all here to help and encourage each other! This is why I think I will do the hike so that every day so I am doing something, not really stopping just changing. I have two hours to myself every morning Mon-Fri and that is when I have been doing the video. On the weekends I have my husband and five kids at home. I just do not see myself doing the video with anyone home.

I am really determined to complete the 30 day shred. The old me would have failed, and taking days off would have probably been the reason. But the new me had the determination to lose 75lbs, and further more the determination to keep it off for over a year now. The new me is capable of having the determination to take the weekends off The Shred and go back on Monday. I KNOW I can do it, even if it's hard, and I am deciding that it's some thing I can do, so I am going to do it.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    Options
    What are the rest days?

The program is meant to be done 30 days straight with no rest days.

So, take a rest day whenever you need it or see if you can power through all 30 days. I will personally be taking a day off from 30DS every 3-4 days but keeping up with a longer yoga session or something low impact.
  • x3na1401
    x3na1401 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Ok. Cool. I don't need a rest day anyway.

This may sound odd, but I weighed my weights and they came in at 3kg each. So 6.6 lbs each. Jillian and team are apparently using 5's... No wonder the weights are bloody killing me ! Lol

That is such a me thing to do ! Oh well. I will stick with them. Would feel wrong if I didn't feel
    Like dying every time
  • kaekencoffee
    kaekencoffee Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have 2 challenges going. The 30DS and 80 kms in March (titled '50 miles in March' on the discussion boards). Also, my husband is borderline diabetic AND has a VERY high cholesterol level so I'll be working out with him on occasion (he works in camp so is gone through the week).
  • joeymalone142
    Options
    Here is a thread with lots of thoughts on the subject! :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/700505-rest-days-with-30-day-shred
  • patticarbjunkie
    patticarbjunkie Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Along with 30DS I am also doing Jillian Michaels 90 day Body Revolution( I am on day 63...it is awesome!!) I love to run so I do run a couple of miles every few days or so. I have always run, but was never "fit" like I am when I do 30 DS. This is my fourth time doing the Shred. Last fall I incorporated the shred with my half marathon training and I finished in under two hours. The 30 day shred is great !
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Some great advice above about rest days - while I'm on a roll I'm fine but as soon as I have a day off the temptation is never to get back to it! I did the shred last year and only had 1 or 2 days off and that was due to being away. I'm kind of starting from scratch this time so I'll see how it goes but if I can do the same again I will do.

As for doing anything else as well, I definitely need to improve my fitness first! If you're already used to exercise I imagine you could though. :o)
  • Mrs_Charisma
    Options
    I'm only doing 30 DS. I'm going to aim for no rest days or maybe 1 rest day in between levels. I did about 22/30 days this last time and am happy with my results. I can't wait to see my results for March!
  • mclay12
    mclay12 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am a runner as well. So I plan to run 3-4 days a week and complete the 30 day shred!
  • TripLight
    TripLight Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am doing the 30ds for 6 days a week with 1 rest day, so each level for me will be 12 days. I am also adding a half hour on the Elliptical after doing the 30DS, because I noticed I needed more cardio, and I am less sore the next day. You should take rest days though if you are just starting this program as a beginner, IMO work on using the correct form. Quality before quantity.
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'm at week 8 of the C25K programme (running for 25 mins) but now want to add this to my regime as well. Hopefully I'll be able to manage the two together. I've only 2 weeks left of the current running plan but do want to continue with the 5210K. I'm not sure if I'll have any rest days, want to try and work each day. Which reminds me, better get started.
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm also training for a 5k on Apr 6th (first in over a year). so I'll be walking/jogging too in March.
  • j_zanzig
    j_zanzig Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am doing 30DS and the squat challenge from the forums. Tuesday's and Wednesday's I go to the gym while I am at school. I will probably just walk/jog. The week of the 11th I am added the turbo fire kick start plan to it so that week I will be doing some turbo fire as well.
  • debbieled32
    Options
    i want to do 30DS 4 times a week and run or hike 2 days a week
  • carfamily08
    carfamily08 Posts: 179
    Options
    I also do this 10 minute Victoria's Secret workout (from fitsugar) in the mornings while my kids eat breakfast and I try and hit my step goal on my fitbit so I do some Leslie Sansone walking DVDs too :)