Taking 1st Bikram Yoga class Sunday

Options
Scar1964
Scar1964 Posts: 92 Member
I'm 48 yr. old male that has absolutely no flexibility and have never done any Yoga. Is this going to kill me?

Replies

• Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 yr. old male that has absolutely no flexibility and have never done any Yoga. Is this going to kill me?

It's pretty different than any yoga I've ever done, so your lack of experience is probably not a problem. The heat helps with flexibility, and it's fine to sit out for a pose (lots of people do). In my opinion the focus is more on concentration, breathing, and balance, and less on flexibility, though there are a few times where you'll be twisted up like a pretzel. I'm going to guess that if anything kills you it will be the heat! That is the part that makes it so challenging.
  • Scar1964
    Options

It's pretty different than any yoga I've ever done, so your lack of experience is probably not a problem. The heat helps with flexibility, and it's fine to sit out for a pose (lots of people do). In my opinion the focus is more on concentration, breathing, and balance, and less on flexibility, though there are a few times where you'll be twisted up like a pretzel. I'm going to guess that if anything kills you it will be the heat! That is the part that makes it so challenging.

Thanks. Maybe I should re-think this.
  • nlehmann
    nlehmann Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Don't rethink it at all. It is great, just make sure to take a lot of water and be hydrated before you go. I think it is a great experieince and look forward to my class once a week.
  • Scar1964
    Options
    Don't rethink it at all. It is great, just make sure to take a lot of water and be hydrated before you go. I think it is a great experieince and look forward to my class once a week.

Yeah, my daughter won't let me back out of it anyway. She has been a few times and really likes it. OK, going for it this Sunday. I will post results Monday.
  • Oaeneo
    Oaeneo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to hear what you think! I just had my first class a few weeks ago and I love it. It is honestly one of the best parts of my week and I wish I could do it every day. I have very limited hamstring flexibility but I have seen major changes in just these few weeks. Don't rethink! Just dive in! Good luck and I hope you love it too. :)
  • Scar1964
    Options
    I was unable to make it to class Sunday due to having a 16 yr. old boy and his inability to make good decisions. Screwed up all plans for Sunday. I will try again next weekend.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You will be fine and it is the right place for you -- your only goal during the first class will be to stay in the room the whole 90 minutes.

Stick with it for at least a couple months before making any judgements about the practice.
  • Scar1964
    Options
    You will be fine and it is the right place for you -- your only goal during the first class will be to stay in the room the whole 90 minutes.

Stick with it for at least a couple months before making any judgements about the practice.

ROGER THAT!!!!!
    No judgements, I know it is going to be difficult. Nothing that is good for you seems to be easy.
    My intent, for now, is to attend once a week and see what happens.
  • MaryIM
    MaryIM Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I hope you enjoy the Bikram Yoga. Keep in mind, it's not for everyone. Some of my girlfriends won't even give it a try (afraid of the heat and afraid of sweating). If you like to sweat and can tolerate heat --> IT'S A FANTASTIC WORKOUT!!!

Be patient with yourself, do your best, and take it one day at a time. And DON'T COMPARE yourself to others in the class, they may have been practicing for years.
  • Scar1964
    Options
    I hope you enjoy the Bikram Yoga. Keep in mind, it's not for everyone. Some of my girlfriends won't even give it a try (afraid of the heat and afraid of sweating). If you like to sweat and can tolerate heat --> IT'S A FANTASTIC WORKOUT!!!

Be patient with yourself, do your best, and take it one day at a time. And DON'T COMPARE yourself to others in the class, they may have been practicing for years.

I am going to give it an honest try w/ positive attitude and see what develops. It's not the heat that I am worried about, it might be a degree cooler than an average summer day here in south Texas (kidding). I worried that I will not be able to do a fraction of the exercises. I guess once you enter the room, you must remain till the end of class. Thanks for encouragement.
  • uberkrafty
    uberkrafty Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It's totally fine not to do everything on your first class :-). Just go with where your body is willing to go. I've been going for about 2 years and I still have a hard time with some poses at times. You have good days and bad days. You'd feel so good after though.
    Good luck!!!!
  • Scar1964
    Options
    It's totally fine not to do everything on your first class :-). Just go with where your body is willing to go. I've been going for about 2 years and I still have a hard time with some poses at times. You have good days and bad days. You'd feel so good after though.
    Good luck!!!!

Thanks.
    I wil be going Sunday to investigate and reporting Monday on my 1st time experience.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!!!

This is the best advice! I've been practicing for 2 years as well and sometimes I go in and can do everything, and sometimes I can barely do a thing. Every class is different and every class has it's benefits even if you feel like you didn't do much.
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I am off exercise for the last month due to arthiritis on my knee and created a baker's cyst on the back of R knee. Lunges n squats hurts bad... Cardio queen for 2 years, 5 lbs up and 5 lbs down and as a result injured my knee (2 knee surgeries). I am going to definitely research a nice clean studio. I am such a germ and odor freak that this is my only hesitation in siging up for classes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated....

I practice pilates and regular yoga...:flowerforyou:

Best regards,

Rosie
  • shano25
    Options
    Hi Rosie,

I too have bad knees, can't do lunges and squats, even cardio can be difficult for me (torn cartilage many times, torn meniscus, patellofemoral syndrome since I was 13.) Bikram has improved my knees so much. That being said, there is still a lot I have trouble with in class. Talk to your teacher before you start and let them know your problems. I have a lot of difficulties during Awkward Pose (which is like a squat) so I just go slow and not as deep as they want. Same with Eagle and Toe Stand. Fixed Firm though painful at first, has been the best for me. And I have a lot of difficulties with Triangle. Most classes I can't do it. As long as your teacher knows your problems, they'll help you find ways to get through it and talk you through it. The key is to not rush the pose and get the proper form. I find that's something with a lot of newbies (myself included) you rush to get the flexibility of the pose, but sacrifice proper form for it.

Cleanliness - I've only been to one studio which is amazing at keeping it clean, I imagine they all do their best to stay clean. Bring flip flops since studios don't let you wear outdoor shoes throughout. See if you can find one that doesn't have carpet.

Best wishes!
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Hi Rosie,

I too have bad knees, can't do lunges and squats, even cardio can be difficult for me (torn cartilage many times, torn meniscus, patellofemoral syndrome since I was 13.) Bikram has improved my knees so much. That being said, there is still a lot I have trouble with in class. Talk to your teacher before you start and let them know your problems. I have a lot of difficulties during Awkward Pose (which is like a squat) so I just go slow and not as deep as they want. Same with Eagle and Toe Stand. Fixed Firm though painful at first, has been the best for me. And I have a lot of difficulties with Triangle. Most classes I can't do it. As long as your teacher knows your problems, they'll help you find ways to get through it and talk you through it. The key is to not rush the pose and get the proper form. I find that's something with a lot of newbies (myself included) you rush to get the flexibility of the pose, but sacrifice proper form for it.

Cleanliness - I've only been to one studio which is amazing at keeping it clean, I imagine they all do their best to stay clean. Bring flip flops since studios don't let you wear outdoor shoes throughout. See if you can find one that doesn't have carpet.

Best wishes!

Thank you lady. Your body looks amazing!!! I am 40 yo, 5'1 and 108 and I really hate complaining about my knee my it freaking hurts and I use to rush to poses due to the pain. Thank you very much as I am trying to get these 8 lbs down and still struggling for over a year, sad but thrue. Focusing on diet but I really want o start getting back into yoga n pilates as baker's cyst is healing. Great idea of not carpet. I will start my search and your feedback is greatly appreciated. Have a fabulous day!!:flowerforyou:
  • shano25
    Options

Thank you lady. Your body looks amazing!!! I am 40 yo, 5'1 and 108 and I really hate complaining about my knee my it freaking hurts and I use to rush to poses due to the pain. Thank you very much as I am trying to get these 8 lbs down and still struggling for over a year, sad but thrue. Focusing on diet but I really want o start getting back into yoga n pilates as baker's cyst is healing. Great idea of not carpet. I will start my search and your feedback is greatly appreciated. Have a fabulous day!!:flowerforyou:

Ha! That's not my body, that's my motivation. I used to have a stomach like that, then my son came along.

I had accepted that I would live with my knee pain for the rest of my life. I had to quit figure skating in my teens because of it. But they have improved so much since I started Bikram. The heat feels so good. I try to get a spot in the corner of my studio furthest from the side mirrors so that if I find I have to leave a pose early and sit out, I don't feel I'm disturbing the concentration of others.
  • Scar1964
    Options

Ha! That's not my body, that's my motivation. I used to have a stomach like that, then my son came along.

I had accepted that I would live with my knee pain for the rest of my life. I had to quit figure skating in my teens because of it. But they have improved so much since I started Bikram. The heat feels so good. I try to get a spot in the corner of my studio furthest from the side mirrors so that if I find I have to leave a pose early and sit out, I don't feel I'm disturbing the concentration of others.

OK. Tonight's the night, chickened out again last Sun. I am going to do this.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options

good luck! i'm looking forward to hearing what you think :)
  • uberkrafty
    uberkrafty Posts: 38 Member
    Options

You can do it!!!!