I'm super new! Hi, there :)

Options
McKayMachina
McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
I'll paste my intro from a couple other keto forums here:

Hey, ladies and gents.

I'm a 28/f full-time student and bar tender in the southeast USA. I lost 80 lbs. in 2011 using myfitnesspal to count calories and have maintained that loss (with no variation) since then. I still have 40 lbs. to lose to get to a healthy weight (120) for my height (5'2"). So, after about a year of lurking on r/keto, I've become convinced to give it a go!

My boyfriend is currently trying to GAIN weight (he's 135 at 5'10" with a boxing background and has always been thin/lean) and grocery shopping was one of the things with which we've struggled. I feel like I can finally buy the same foods for both of us while he just gets to add fruits and starches to his meals.

I'm really excited and a little nervous. Been denying myself fatty meats, cheddar and full-fat anything for a couple of years now that it's a little strange to now focus on them! But I love those foods, so ::cheers::!

I just wanted to quickly introduce myself and say that I'll be researching in much further depth now.

Starting with the following (just went grocery shopping!):
bacon (lots and lots of bacon)
extra-sharp cheddar
brie
salmon
ribeye steaks
73/27 ground hamburger
avocado (to use sparingly)
tomato (to use even more sparingly)
cucumber
broccoli
eggs (two dozen!)
greek yogurt* (to be strained of whey for labna)
heavy cream (for mousses and ice creams)
dark chocolate (also for the above desserts)
splenda (")
pork rinds (for "nachos" and snacking) ...I'm probably forgetting some things but I hope I am on the right track!

Will be utilizing our local butcher from here on out, as his weekly specials are insanely cheap ($35 for 10+ lbs. of meat) and full of good, local, grass-fed cuts.

That's pretty much my intro! I'm going to research my *kitten* off and want to thank you all in advance for any suggestions.

*I know that greek yogurt is not keto, however I've read that the live active cultures consume some of the carbs and the rest can be strained out so I am going to try it.

Feel free to message/add me! I know my profile says no new friends allowed but any ketoer gets an enthusiastic pass! :)

Replies

• EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Welcome!!! I'm Primal/Paleo/Low Carb .... but not keto specifically. I am probably in ketosis most of the time, but I never test for it, don't try to get there and don't worry about it.

That food list is reasonably close to ours. A few things, we buy grass fed butter, which contains CLA .... a very good Omega-3. We also use coconut oil quite a bit, 65% medium chain triglycerides .... very good for you.

Feel free to give me an add if you like.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    Thanks! I will try to find some local/grass-fed butter.

I just bought a huge tub of coconut oil, too. :)
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    My wife puts coconut oil in her breakfast smoothie .... 8 strawberries, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1 scoop of protein whey, some heavy cream if she feels like it, and ice. Pretty good, lots of fat, fiber, protein and some fructose for post workout recovery. Sometimes she puts some avocado in the smoothie too. Depending. Avocado is pretty good for you. So are olives that haven't been brined with unpronounceable chemicals.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    Strawberries and whey are not a very good call on keto though, right? Also, avocado ought to be limited. Or am I misunderstanding some exception to the rule?
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup sliced strawberries are about 4.7 net carbs.
    1/2 an Avocado is about 2.5 net carbs (and high in fat)
    Whey protein. I see one that's only 3 carbs per scoop. I don't go for protein powders myself (I usually don't need more protein - instead need fat)

Anyway - I think all of these can be included - just need to be accounted for. Each individual would need to assess if these can be incorporated into their food plan.