This makes no sense to me!

Options
MissJJ74
MissJJ74 Posts: 111 Member
So I was diagnosed with T2 in December. At that time my A1c was 7.2. In January it was 6.8. At that time my Dr. put me on Metformin XR 500mg 1x a day. I was on it for 2 weeks, but also was on Clindamycin at the same time. Because of this, my system was all messed up, I was constantly in the bathroom. (Sorry if that's TMI). Due to this, my Dr. told me to stop taking the Metformin.

So I have been off it for a month now. Saw the endocrinologist a couple of weeks ago and he told me that because my BG at the time was 88 and I lost 20 lbs, that I didn't need to be on meds.

My recent blood work came back and my A1c was now at 6.0. My doctor was thrilled. However, he told me to go back on the Metformin. My HDL cholesterol was at 130 (which is supposedly at the border of normal for a diabetic) but he didn't put me on cholesterol meds.

So my question is has this happened to anyone else? Why put me on diabetes meds if I have brought down my numbers on my own with mainly diet and exercise, but not put me on cholesterol meds when that number barely dropped at all?

Replies

• wcucats77
    wcucats77 Posts: 180
    Options
    MissJJ74... I can not comment about metafornin, but you listed your HDL cholesterol at 130? Was that your LDL you were referring to. 130 HDL would be an incredible number for HDL. 130 for LDL is boderline high. but what was your HDL. The important thing here is your ratio, good(HDL) to bad(LDL). Example say your HDL is 75 and LDL being 130, would amount to 1.733 / 1. good ratio.

Hope this helps.

WCUCATS77
  • MissJJ74
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification, not sure what the ratio was as I haven't had a chance to check the complete bloodwork paperwork. I guess I can ask my doc to mail me the results so I can see all of the numbers.

I'm just trying to figure out why I would be put on meds for something I am gaining control of, but not something that I have not controlled yet.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Because an A1C of 6 means that your average BG over the past 3 months has been at 136. By endocronologist standards this is to a bit high but by PCPs it is ok because it is under 7.

I am not on any meds at the moment except for high cholestorl. My LDLs have been at a constant at 154 for the past 2 check ups. My triglycerides and HDL are great. My A1C last came in at 6.2. I have not seen an endo but I think if I go to one they would put me on Metformin because my original diagnosis was an A1C of 9 and over the past year I have only gotten it down to a 6.2. Again my PCP said that was great and not to be worried because it was under 7. I have an appointment in April for a recheck so I may make the decision to go to an endo if my A1C isn't under 6.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Because an A1C of 6 means that your average BG over the past 3 months has been at 136. By endocronologist standards this is to a bit high but by PCPs it is ok because it is under 7.

I am not on any meds at the moment except for high cholestorl. My LDLs have been at a constant at 154 for the past 2 check ups. My triglycerides and HDL are great. My A1C last came in at 6.2. I have not seen an endo but I think if I go to one they would put me on Metformin because my original diagnosis was an A1C of 9 and over the past year I have only gotten it down to a 6.2. Again my PCP said that was great and not to be worried because it was under 7. I have an appointment in April for a recheck so I may make the decision to go to an endo if my A1C isn't under 6.

This is helpful, thanks.
  • MissJJ74
    Options

Thanks for the clarification.

This is odd because on my OnTrack app, it shows my average BG the last 3 months is 115 and my A1c should be 5.6 or 5.7 because of that. (It has fluctuated between 5.6 and 5.7 the past month). But I guess the blood work would include the first few weeks of December, which is before I started changing my diet seriously and watching my blood sugar.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    My last A1c was 5.1. I have controlled and gotten it down to that over the past year without medication. At the appointment when I tested at 5.1 my doctor was thrilled. But, he put me on metformin, 500 mg twice a day. Why? To treat PCOS. I have a lot of symptoms of PCOS other than just the diabetes for which metformin can be an effective treatment.

Eating low carb and keeping your diabetes under control will result in lowering your cholesterol. Also, I've read many reports that indicate that cholesterol lowering meds (statins) aren't very effective for women.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options

Thanks for the clarification.

This is odd because on my OnTrack app, it shows my average BG the last 3 months is 115 and my A1c should be 5.6 or 5.7 because of that. (It has fluctuated between 5.6 and 5.7 the past month). But I guess the blood work would include the first few weeks of December, which is before I started changing my diet seriously and watching my blood sugar.
    A1C would catch any unrecorded spikes. I know there are some days I forgot my meter and suspect I may have gone a bit high. That info is not included in the average on my meter but will show in my A1C. Mine is also 6.0 and I am still taking twice a day because even though I have brought it down a lot in the last 6 months I can still spike when eating certain foods and have a higher fbs. It is a good reading for diabetics but still high compared to a non-diabetic A1C.